Forums

Home Forums Q&A Chlorinated water

4 voices
9 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

I was thinking about how I do my water I keep a 17 Gallon tote in my basement and two 5 gallon buckets I always leave the lids off to let the chlorine gas  evaporate .Let me state I use regular ol city water 🌊💦 with no filter ok I don’t use RO or bottled water so I wanted to make that clear.I look forward to seeing everyone else’s remarks

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

M
      Participant

Sounds about right. Chlorine gas evaporates after around 24h at room temp. I think boiling it will make the process faster, but 24h is nothing 🙂
      Good luck!

Brad104
      Participant

That’s exactly right @M I let it set out in buckets in another room off of my main grow room in the basement of my house.I just wanted to know if anyone else does it thanks for the reply @M

M
      Participant

Well … everybody should 🙂

Brad104
      Participant

I know that is right 👍 I figured I would get a lot more feedback and information on the subject, but I appreciate your information and thank you for it bro.

Thanks again @M

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brad104.
      Nate
      Participant

I’ve read that about 1/4 of municipalites in North America have switched to chloramine over chlorine, which doesn’t evaporate away like chlorine does. I did a quick google search, and there was mixed findings from what I could see. Some said it’d be fine if in small amounts like in drinking water, some said you should treat it. One concern would be if you’re trying to grow organically, it might kill the beneficial microbes in your soil. You should be able to look up online if your municipality usues chlorine or chloramine and treat the water differently depending on what chemical they’re using. But yeah, if it is chlorine in your water, leaving it out will evaporate it away.

Somatek
        Participant

Look at you beating me to the punch as people really need to check if their cities using chlorine or chloramine.  More and more are using chloramine as it’s stable until it comes into contact with carbon and then breaks down.  Which mean you can use less in the supply lines instead of flooding them to make sure enough is making it to the fringes.  Chloramine won’t break down from sitting out or being boiled, you need either a carbon filter or RO filter to get it out.  Which can be as simple as how you build your teas (which is when chlorine is the biggest problem), I simply add my rock dusts and powdered humic acid first as they aren’t bacterial and after an hour of bubbling will break down any chhloramine. Keeping a mosquito dunk in my res makes sure that water equally will de-chlorinate, although I’m sure it reduces the BTi concentration but considering the pucks are meant to cover a 100sq ft pond I don’t worry about my 15gal res as I’m sure it’s saturated well above the needed level.

Brad104
      Participant

I do thank you whole heartily for that information, I didn’t know that.I will check it out though, now that I know!

Thanks again @nate

Brad104
        Participant

I have to admit that I don’t know what you are calling a mosquito dunk if you would please elaborate @somatek

Thanks bro please excuse my ignorance on the subject

I learned years ago an old man told me ignorance is curable, stupidity is not 🚫  I always remember that I don’t know why? Ha ha 😅

Thanks @somatek also do you or anyone know what time of year can you buy the preying mantis egg 🥚 on ebay or whatever

Somatek
        Participant

Mosquito dunks are a BTi product to control mosquito larvae in ponds, which is the same product we use to control fungus gnats or thrips in the soil.

I buy predatory insects off a local supplier, Natural Insect Control and follow their recommendations on what predators to use.  You really need to match the predator to your environment and pest, people waste a lot of money buying the wrong predators when there’s better options.  Talk to the professionals and follow their advice, not what the interwebs tells you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close