Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Do you use kelp in your grow?

4 voices
32 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

I’ve looked into it and I think it could help with what I’m already using, but I’ve added a few other things already.  I don’t know if it’s just overkill.  In addition to the fox farm line up I’ve added myco, silica and fulvic acid.  Would you bother adding kelp to that?  If you do use it do you see benefits from it?  I feel like I’m now to the point where I can begin to understand some of the science around what it’s doing for the plant.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m like the you tube guy that I watch TD from calijuana he said he’ll it has to be great for your plants cause everywhere in the growing community they talk of it and praise it.So my personal opinion is everyone should use it

Somatek
      Participant

What do you hope to gain by using it that your other products don’t already cover?

Keith
        Participant

Well I wasn’t sure about that.  It was a few months back when I looked into what kelp can do.  And just to be honest I didn’t pick up on a lot of it.  I just assumed it had “stuff” in it that the plant wants or needs.   Stuff that the other stuff isn’t covering.

Brad104
      Participant

It’s supposed to help my terpenes from my understanding and I hope to gain a killer smoke who’s super smooth and will cough your head off when you hit it but it’s so smooth it expands inside of your lungs 🫁 and you cough until your eyes 👀 water. That’s what I hope to gain,but you know what it is soma.

Keith
        Participant

Are you talking about kelp?   I just didn’t know what that reply was in Reference to.

Somatek
      Participant

The biggest advantage of kelp is the micronutrients and growth hormones (auxins and cytokins).  It can be useful in veg but too much in flower will disrupt the balance of hormones and effect flowering.  That’s why it’s important to really understand what the different amendments do and when they’re best used or else you can end up spending money which in the worst case is counter productive to what you’re trying to do.

Keith
        Participant

That’s right, I do remember reading that about veg and not flower.   I probably won’t mess with it right now, but maybe next grow.   I’m already most of the way through veg I just don’t have anywhere to start flowering right now.

Somatek
        Participant

Focus on the basics until you understand them as additives have a minor effect comparatively but can have a much bigger detrimental effect by distracting you from understanding botany and horticulture.

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for the clarification on the kelp

Somatek
        Participant

Micro nutrients definitely seem important to terp development but I’d rely on bat guano during flowering for them over kelp.  Each product can be useful but as a beginner focusing on the basics is more effective and slowly adding things over time as you understand more about growing.

Keith
        Participant

Can I dig into this reply?  Can I just ask what it is in the bat guano that is beneficial and if you think I’m getting those same benefits using Fox farms powdered flowering nutrients? Kinda embarrassed to say but I’ve never read what’s in the nutrients I use.

Brad104
      Participant

That does make perfectly good sense there @somatek as you were my friend

Brad104
      Participant

I’m definitely going to be changing quite a bit up on my next grow, please believe that

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

Some kinds of kelp extract have been shown to improve vegetative growth, and nutrient content of various fruits.

ANE is Ascophyllum nodosum Extract:

Several publications indicated that a foliar application of ANE to the leaves of Vitis vinifera, after full bloom, increased the nutrient content of grapevines, specifically the accumulation of anthocyanins and phenolics (Norrie et al., 2002; Sabir et al., 2014; Frioni et al., 2018). Two commercial extracts of A. nodosum, Rygex® and Super Fifty®, enhanced the macronutrient (N, P, K, Ca, S) and micronutrient (Mg, Zn, Mn, Fe) contents of tomato fruits (Di Stasio et al., 2018). Similarly, olive plants (Olea europaea) treated with ANE showed a higher uptake of K, Fe, and Cu (Chouliaras et al., 2009). When applied at a rate of 0.1% (v/v), AZAL5®, a commercial seaweed extract, improved root and shoot growth of rapeseed (Brassica napus) by stimulating nitrogen and sulfate accumulation (Jannin et al., 2013). Microarray analysis revealed that B. napus plants treated with AZAL5® showed differential regulation of 724 and 298 genes in shoots and roots, respectively, after 3 days of treatment, while 612 and 439 genes were differentially regulated in the shoots and roots, respectively, after 30 days of treatment (Jannin et al., 2013). Treatment with AZAL5® increased the nitrate uptake of B. napus by inducing the expression of BnNRT1.1 and BnNRT1.2 genes, known to be involved in nitrate assimilation and amino acid metabolism. Similarly, plants treated with AZAL5® showed higher sulfate accumulation by the induction of BnSultr1.1 and BnSultr1.2 genes (Jannin et al., 2013). Commercial extracts Maxicrop®, Proton®, and Algipower® were also reported to improve the nutrient uptake of grapevines (V. vinifera) (Turan and Köse, 2004).

You’ll find ANE or generic kelp extract in a lot of inexpensive products these days.  You mention the fox farm lineup, and they have
      <p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Bush Doctor – Kelp Me Kelp You, It contains a mixture of cytokinins, amino acids, and enzymes.  I seen this stuff at $15/pint</p>
      Not everyone likes the idea of hormones in their plant food though, let us know what you think and end up doing for your greenthings.

Article quote from Frontiers in Plant Science, May of 2019

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2019.00655/full

Somatek
        Participant

That’s why it’s important to understand what various products are doing, especially any that effect hormones as you really need to have at least a basic understanding of how auxin’s, cytokinins, gibberellines, ethylene gas and abscisic acid control the plants growth.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

heh, missed your other post halfway up, yesterday (7144)…. but specifically, (I think) the fox farms kelp extract doesn’t have the auxins that some people object to in flower.  I can partially relate, as I have a contact allergy to the (ecdysterone?) in fresh spinach, and to chitin – so no chitosal products for me either.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s unfortunate as chitosan products have some interesting effects, specifically around pathogen and drought resistance.  Specifically just spinach or do you react to other chenopods?  They’re some of my favourite veggies to grow, only partly because the name is fun to say…

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

I’m not sure, most chenopods I’ve come across kept their distance.  One place I used to work at in the way-back had me steaming, squeezing and chopping ~20lbs/day of spinach by hand, and the extract used to fill the gloves we used – if we used them at all.

Somatek
        Participant

Sounds like a good way to learn you’re allergic to them lol.  I know some people have a strong reaction to lamp’s quarter and some of the other close  relatives of spinach but I was curious if you reacted to beets as well.  Their probably my favourite veggie to grow, I love the leaves sauteed with soy sauce and a bit of garlic plus you get those sweet beets at the end to boot.

Keith
        Participant

That’s helpful man thanks.

Edit: this looks like it got placed in the wrong spot.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Keith.
        Somatek
        Participant

lol, no worries as I’m getting pretty good at decoding which reply matches which post.

Brad104
      Participant

Only thing I can do with my phone is to hit reply at the bottom of the post I don’t have a reply button in the right hand corner @somatek maybe I’m doing it right I touch reply on your part of the thread, and I believe that it’s supposed to notify you bro

Thanks again

Somatek
        Participant

On your phone it’s at the top in the center under the date the post was made

Brad104
        Participant

There I went wording things wrong again, damn.Thats the reply I’ve been hitting,so it’s all good then.Thanks for explanation I would have kept on thinking I was doing something wrong ha ha but I wasn’t this time though.

Keith
        Participant

The replies are getting messed up sometimes and going to different places.

Brad104
      Participant

I don’t believe that I have been having any of those kind of problems bro I truly don’t

Keith
        Participant

Sometimes I’ll reply to someone but it’ll go down the list to someone else.

Brad104
      Participant

Yeah, you have to make sure when you reply reply to the Chinese letters above the reply you are replying to

Keith
        Participant

I wonder why that’s in Chinese?

Brad104
        Participant

That’s a excellent question my friend although it could be Japanese though haha 😂

Keith
        Participant

I think it’s Korean.

Somatek
        Participant

According to google translate it’s Japanese

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close