Home Forums Vegetable Cultivation HippyFarmer’s Fruits And Veggies

5 voices
21 replies
  • Author
      HippyFarmer420
      Participant

I figured I would set up this journal for all my indoor veggies this year that we are going to be running in next springs outdoor beds.

I will be running various different veggies in my beds next year..

I am hoping to have my outdoor garden fully done “raised beds ect.” within 5 years..

Right now I have 4 inground beds that I made over the summer.

26ftx5ftx2ft fully dug out and and replaced with organic soil mix, composts and manures..

I plan to dig out 2 more beds in this area next year, mulch and then fence the whole area..

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

I will be growing more green beans in this bed next year!

I really enjoy growing green beans, they are one of those type of plants that need very little attention, they produce harvests every few days and they taste better grown from home then the ones you buy in the store..

This was the first year that I expanded out into fruits and veggies so everything this year was a huge learning curve..

I did produce some nice fruits and veggies tho and it gave me a huge garden bug.

I have plans to grow more fruits and veggies indoors as I start to expand my rooms..

More to come..

Keith
        Participant

Wow, this is impressive.  This is what I’d like to eventually do.  I’ve got a bunch of pvc to eventually make hoop houses out of.  Did you do all the work with just man power?  This is really cool to see.  We just bought our first house last year and this year I dug up 2 4×10 areas and added mushroom compost.  I grew tomatoes and beans and some zucchini squash.  It was cool.  I should’ve had something for the beans to grow up.  They just kinda spread out over the ground.  We still got a bunch though.  Anyway I just wanted to say that I’ll enjoy reading and seeing your set up.

HippyFarmer420
        Participant

I did all this solo with a shovel and a rake 🙂

This old man damn near broke his back this year with all the digging I did, I literally could barely walk towards the end of the summer..  Back still giving me fits.  The dues you pay to get the garden you want.

Brad104
      Participant

That’s a gorgeous garden bro, and damn if you don’t have the greenest of thumbs! I can really learn something from you and so many others on here.Im super glad spider farmer set up this great forums page etc.

Michael Apicello
        Participant

This post is good

Keith
        Participant

Lol, bro I know.  When we first bought this house last year we were having damp crawl space issues.  So I decided to take 3 weeks off work and install a foundation drain.  I dug a trench a foot and a half wide and anywhere from 18-36 inches deep, and 180 ft long around my house, with a shovel.  Then sealed the foundation, filled the trench with gravel, sock pipe, more gravel, landscape fabric, then dirt back on top.  It was the first real thing that showed me I’m not young anymore.  I didn’t even think it was going to take me 3 weeks.  After the first couple days I was thinking “what the fuck did I get myself into”.  Where I started the foundation wasn’t but maybe 18 inches deep.   Then I turned a corner and it went down 36 inches for about 50 ft.  But I kept on.  Went broke doing it.  But my fucking crawl space is dry.  That’s why I was so impressed with all your digging.  I feel you pain and your accomplishment.

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

Ill get pics of the romaine lettuce and peppers tomorrow when the sun is up..  I was too busy prepping for harvest today to take any..

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

Next year I will be running 2 types of corn, Honey and Kandy Corn..

I will also be growing a lot of different things, I am setting things up to start selling clones an seelings “veggies” at different farmers markets around the area.

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

I’ll need to invest in some more SpiderFarmer lights in the near future, “hopefully I can find them at discount rates :)”

I will need more lights to cover the vegging area that I have planned, but piece work, we will get there eventually..

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

Busy day today, it’s time to start harvesting some canna!

I will get pics of the veggie beds today as Im out there chopping things down.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Nice garden space!!  🙂

The wife just planted some veggies this year. Not quite going as planned, but i can see little cherry tomatoes coming in. Probably going to have to bring them in for the winter. I have no clue how to care for them.

HippyFarmer420
        Participant

Im learning nothing ever goes as planned lol..

Tomatoes are very easy to grow imo, if you can grow herb then a tomato will be no issue at all..

I treat them just like a canna plant, give them the same soil mix and everything.

This year I had several people compliment my tomatoes “I have to say they did turn out really well”.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Do you think the cold will get to them, and deliver them to their demise?
        I’ve never grown any veggies, but if you say it’s as easy as canna.. it can’t be bad at all. I just worry about an environment for them. I’ve been told that tomatoes can be grown indoors, but trying to accomplish it inside a grow tent may be difficult. So I’m shaking in my boots a bit. (Only because the Mrs. set her heart on getting a garden going & I can’t sit back to watch it fail)

HippyFarmer420
        Participant

Yes cold weather will beat the shit out of tomatoes from what I’ve seen, same with peppers, they don’t like when it starts to hit frost.

HippyFarmer420
        Participant

If you can grow canna, you can grow any fruit and veggie for sure..

I grew over 22 variety of things this year and I’ve only grown canna for the last 16+ years, no other plant.

It’s a huge learning curve, you realize just how hardy canna plants really are tho. .

Peppers, tomatoes, parsley didn’t even take well to frost, lettuce did tho,  spinach did as well.

But I set up my garden with canna in mind and instead I just put veggies in there..

For 1st year going, it was soo much fun and the veggies are way better then store bought..

Green beans were amazing! They too do not like frost nor cold weather..

Brassica plants is what you would want to grow for the fall in cold weather “lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, kale, hardy green leafy plants” they seem to taste better when it gets colder.

I even grew a feking watermelon up in Canada this year, my 1st one ever and it was soooo good, I’ll be doing a patch of them next year.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Thanks for the info. Watermelon is on my list of things I want to grow.

Could I start them inside? If not, what time of year did you plant if you don’t mind sharing?

I can imagine geographic location matters.

HippyFarmer420
        Participant

You can grow them indoors for sure, they like a bit more warm weather to germinate but I did start them indoors.

I started them at the end of April and started moving things outside at the end of May/June..

I am in Zone 5b, depending on your zone would depend on the types of melons you would want to grow..

Sugar Babies and Baby Yellow Dolls are what I am growing.

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

I grew them in containers as well, so for those who say you cant grow watermelons in containers, I say BS, yes you can.. I used 5 gallon black food grade buckets with holes drilled in them..

I actually think the bucket helped warm up the soil more with our cooler summers we get compared to down south.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Thanks. That helps me get a little perspective on what to do. Much appreciated. 👨🏻‍🌾

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

I will start some melons indoors next year or the outdoor season, Melons like warmer weather and Im not going to heat up my grow room to satisfy a melon, I like running cooler when I run inside.

HippyFarmer420
      Participant

Indoor this next year I will be starting a lot of things earlier for the spring crops, I did not have my outdoor garden done for the spring, I had too much going on last spring..

Indoors I am working on setting up a veggie room for my outdoor garden beds..

I will have thousands of seedlings in this room..  Goal is to fill up as much as I can and start to hit up Farmer’s Markets, sell some cuttings and eventually fruits and veggies..

The more I try to invest in my garden setup, the more the ole wife bitches so I will have to piece work things until I get it right.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close