Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation How do I get that hard nug Dispensary nug look?

6 voices
21 replies
  • Author
      Loves2Trim
      Participant

In one picture I give you my hard earned mangy looking bed head lookin nug.

Next I give you the solid hard round dry crystally dispensary nugs.

Ive tried every method even squeezing them lol

What do I do?!?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Somatek
      Participant

CO2 and PGR’s usually, which is why I generally avoid bud that looks like that as lower value.  Some varieties naturally grow rock hard, Sour D shouldn’t though but I’ve seen a lot that’s grown commercially that is because of PGR’s most likely.

Brad104
      Participant

It needs to be of a good quality smoke in my opinion to begin with and then you need to dry it correctly in a cool dark place with the correct humidity so as not to let it mold,then you would move it to a jar and burp it as needed for the next 3 weeks after it’s completely dry after that your buds should be up to par with the dispensary in my opinion and maybe even better from some of the stuff theses dispensary sells for 80 and 100 a quarter here in the good old USAthat’s the best answer I can give you I hope it helps you out.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brad104.
      Loves2Trim
      Participant

I have a pretty good cure method. I can control my elements fairly well. What exactly is PGR?

Brad104
        Participant

That’s awesome information @loves2trim for I have only just started visiting our dispensary just opened like in August so I don’t have much of anything on the dispensary bud, anyhow this is good knowledge as always @somatek and thank you as well @loves2trim I love this forum, I have only been on 2 other forums maybe twice so this month alone I’ve screenshot so much good information I’ve received for the last month and I appreciate you al

Loves2Trim
      Participant

HOLY FUCK! Search PGR weed. NVM I dont want hard dispensary nugs anymore.

Again thanks to this current and active forum and Soma for the good info!!

Somatek
        Participant

There’s a lot of ignorance out there and one of the benefits of legalization is the regulation of production to keep things like the  PGR’s out (to be clear kelp or alfalfa are also PGR’s but natural and non toxic compared to those used in ornamentals which shouldn’t be used on pot but commonly are) while also making it easier for the consumer to educate themselves.

Outside of PGR’s you’re looking at a good, stable climate and CO2 supplementation to increase growth to get large, dense buds assuming you have the right genetics.  Until you’re room is dialed in and your feedings are on point (basically once you’ve eliminated all limitations on growth except CO2) it’s not worth using though as it’ll just accelerate any issues in the grow.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Genetics play a big role. They also need good light, and no slack on the feeding. Boosters aren’t really needed unless the plant demands more in flower. Buds grown under top notch led, and good spectrum indoors produce some pretty dense nugs. Drying & curing correctly will also help tighten them up.
      This was brown outside, but I can imagine the nugs you see going down the branch will probably be of the same density. I’ve grown her inside, and the nugs just sound like they put dents in the tray when dropped on it. I’m currently drying this girl now & the buds look huge on the plant, (tops are like grenades) but when they dry & tighten up they are significantly smaller, (golf balls) however they are dense as ever. The genetics are from thug pug tho. His packs can go anywhere from 60-2k for his packs. Demand is a hellova drug lol

I would just pick up some good reputable genetics, and start there. 

Cannabliss
      Participant

I would trim those a lot closer too. Get rid of all leaf material you can see.

This is an indoor nug from the same thug pug cut. Man does her trim make some good hash 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Brad104
        Participant

Ooh 😮 I’d say so bro, that thing is glistening for real, exceptional job @cannabliss you are top notch,I’m tickled to death to know you and can share your thoughts b safe my friend always. I bet @atom could make some real hash and yourself could make that hash unreal bro kuddos once again! I’m high from just seeing her ha ha 😅🤣

Cannabliss
        Participant

Thanks bro. I put a lot of time into her. I’ve harvested her 3x now. All different grow methods & different everything each time. Organic seems like the easiest way to give her all she needs with little to no hiccups. We will see next week if the finished nugs are as solid as the indoor was.

Somatek
        Participant

Organics are much harder to get big buds and good yields, there’s a reason not nearly as many commercial growers use them as the cost and yield are generally lower.  That’s not always true with home growers where there’s usually cultural or environmental issues limiting the yield.

A good rule of thumb is organics are easy to grow good quality but hard to get big yields, synthetics are easy to produce weight but harder to create quality.

Brad104
      Participant

That’s what is up there @cannabliss dude I know that they will be tight and hard and frosty bro for you grow some dank ass looking weed my dude, keep on keeping on homey

Atom
      Participant

Grape pupil V2 (the pink version) grows the hardest buds I have ever grown. An oz looks like a half.Genetics are biggest factor as others already point out. Big hard nugs don’t necessarily make the best smoke though. Dispensary weed, at least here looks good but it’s crap. No flavor, buzz is short lived. They only out for profits and most people care only what it looks like, or how high the thc % is.

Somatek
        Participant

There you go hitting the nail on the head again; most dispo weed is focused more on bag appeal then actual quality as that’s what customers look for (along with high THC %).  Few custies have the breadth of experience to really understand the market and what they personally enjoy, they just buy what’s available.  Let alone understand all the tricks that can be used to force plants to grow/look like that even if they don’t naturally, like using PGR’s on Sour D to make tight buds (normally it’s a much more open bud structure, which makes it ideal for hash/concentrates) for better bag appeal.  Understanding the varieties and market, when I see bud that looks like that I generally cut the price I’d be willing to pay in half as craft bud doesn’t look that way outside of specific cultivars like MAC (caps cut) that’s known for growing big, dense buds.

Atom
        Participant

If you really want the authentic dispensary look, just vacuum seal it till you really crush all the trics good. Then leave it in there for a month or two until the time has elapsed it would take them to get it tested. Then dump it out and enjoy😉

Somatek
        Participant

Don’t forget to run it through trimmers to shear all the leaf off leaving only that tight bud even if it knocks all the best trichs off in the process.  Remember, cannabinoids don’t sell buds; pretty pictures and a good story with high stated % do even if it’s all made up lol.

Atom
        Participant

Exactly. There in it for pure profit, which is ok I guess. Money is a fact of life, if someone has the capital to make it happen more power to you. There are some better options too, I haven’t bought to many pre packs but some. There always expensive and look better taken care of for sure. That comes with that price tag though.

You can get it through if that’s what your after, we’re obviously pooping on dispensary weed but you can achieve it and still have good terps and all that. The bud cannabliss posted looks real nice. He will certainly have great advice

Somatek
        Participant

You can’t blame producers for trying to make a buck, not when they’re serving exactly what the customers want.  It comes down to customers understanding the product, asking for different product and being willing to pay for it.  Which is where the economics get screwy as prohibition (even in it’s limited sense like in legal states) creates a bottleneck on the supply side while increasing the demand.  Without free market competition, which isn’t possible until it’s legal and properly regulated (something Canada’s still figuring out as our regulations definitely enable the BM) and there’s an open market where standard economic principles come into effect.  Prohibition inevitably lead to inflated prices, limited competition and more then anything limits the consumers ability to educate themselves on what they prefer.  So, if anything blame the gov and their bigoted, irrational laws for creating the mess.

Like you said though, what we’re talking about applies to the commercial side and has no relevance to Cannabliss home grow.  He’s used organic methods which cost more and produce less, hand trimmed and I’d assume hung to dry, not thrown around but handled gently, properly dried and possibly cured; all the things needed to ensure quality.  Which is why I always say that at this point the best option to get quality at a good price is to grow your own.  Even in our legal market with BM prices at the rock bottom; home grown is usually better if the grower puts just a bit of work into it.

Racky
      Participant

You’re right there.

Loves2Trim
      Participant

All excellent reads my friends.

Bag appeal is the word of the day today. I will be using this term frequently for the next month or so lol

Somatek
        Participant

As long as you know your customer bag appeal is the name of the game; most will love those tight nuts but a discerning head would pay twice as much for a long flowering, low yielding flower if they understand the economics of growing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close