Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation I’m harvesting tomorrow and was hoping for a bit of advice

6 voices
12 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

Some of you may already know but I’ll catch you up.  Had amnesia lemon from Barney’s Farm and og kush freebie going great all grow until last weekend I forgot to water and was a day late.  It fucking fried the leaves.  I’ll post pics.  All those leaves have by now turned brown and are brittle.   Some of them are only the half dead from the tip down.  I’ve been given the advice to get the dead leaves out.  And I’ve gotten a lot but there’s no way I’ll get them all until I have the bud in my hand.  That’s why I’m chopping tomorrow instead of in another week or 2.  I guess I’m just wanting to know is for sure that all that dead can rot the buds?  It’s so dry it’s hard to imagine it doing that.  Either way I’ve got to get it out of there, I just didn’t know if it all had to be done before it dries?  Feels like it prob does just to be safe.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Atom
      Participant

I’ve had this happen before and I believe it was because I under waterd. It dried up and smoked fine. They shouldn’t cause them to mold. Are they like crispy dry? Or will they still stay put if you kinda rub them? Honestly if there still softish feeling my opinion I’d go day by day. Once you feel they are crispy like chop town.

Keith
      Participant

Oh no they’re crispy.  I also think I was under watering.  Was told during flower maybe to water a bit more frequently.  Maybe not a complete wet to dry cycle.  90% dry.  In going to do that next time.

Somatek
      Participant

Dead plant matter in buds increases the probability of mold growing as things like botrytis (bud rot) grow on dead plant matter.  Cut off what you can and keeping in mind you won’t get it all I’d dry it at slight lower humidity with really good air circulation around the buds to minimize any chance of mold growing.  Chances are you’ll be fine, it’s a common mistake but anytime you’re drying there’s the chance of mold so you need to consider the crop and do a risk analysis to decide the best way.  Ideally I like to dry whole plants in low temps and higher humidity for a low and slow drying, trim and then jar for a bit to equalize the moisture but if I have concerns with mold (especially this time of year with everything dying outside and more spores in the air), I’d rather raise the temps, lower the humidity to shorten the drying time and increase the time jarred up instead.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I agree. My best recommendation “I think”  was to snip the dying leaves that are coming from the buds as close to the base as possible. I actually prefer to do something like that (If needed) when the plant is drying rather than after, or before a watering. Moisture will leak from the wounds raising the chances of rot.

Keith
        Participant

Thank you for that advice.  I just re read it and adjusted my rh to 58%. It was at 61%.  I’ve got one small fan going in the bottom of a 30×30 in tent.  Plus exhaust sucking up from the bottom.  I also just spent the last 5 hours trimming off as much dead as I could.  I fucking hated it and the whole time I was so upset I messed up.  I learned that I’ll not forget to water for a day ever again, but also to water slightly more frequently in flower.  Like 90% wet to dry cycle.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s a good attitude to have, mistake happen but can be a good learning experience.  It’s also important to keep things in perspective, I’ve had a really chaotic week that ended with having to deal with cops yesterday around a ex-friend with some serious issues, which was very triggering.  In all the commotion I forgot to water/check the one planter the last couple days and when I went in this morning at least 50% or more had died back, completely screwing the crop up as it’s just in early flower…

Life happens, we make mistakes and sometimes bugger up our gardens.  What’s important is to keep it in perspective as we are growing a weed that’s hard to kill, there’s always the next crop and life goes on.  It doesn’t matter how long you’ve grown, inevitably once in awhile there’s problems but what’s important is how you handle them.  Which you’ve done well by dealing with the issue to mitigate more damage and more importantly learned valuable lessons.

Keith
      Participant

I’m bringing some latex gloves home and in going to get all of them, even the ones inside the buds.

Brad104
      Participant
      • Sounds good @keith, I just hope everything works out well for you ok

Atom
      Participant

They look pretty close, not a total loss bro. You considerd harvesting just the tops, down to where it’s greener?

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Excellent, job either way man. Ive never been scared to snip something off. A small shade leaf during veg or a big moldy bud in October after a week of rain.., These babys are weeds and i believe as long as they have a strong root system they will do just fine.

Keith
      Participant

I cut them down tonight and took a long while trimming as much dead out as I could.  Everything turned out alright.  I’ve still got the auto to cut down tomorrow and I’ve got barely enough room for the 2 in there drying now.  Not with the carbon filter.  I’ll have to readjust some things tomorrow.  I didn’t get any pics bc it was dark and I was hungry.  I really hated trimming that dead out.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I feel your pain. It’s definitely for the best though. You didn’t want your buds to keep that dying plant matter moist. It’s just asking for the death to spread. If you happened to snap a few nugs, no biggie. Set them in a small paper bag & let them dry themselves. They may be the first available to test. I’m with you on taking it as a lesson. I learned myself that I need to stop under feeding & over watering. I’m pretty sure I over fed my 4×4 plant again today tho lol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close