Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Old school bud. how was it and what’s the closest sold today.

7 voices
11 replies
  • Author
      cannaJ
      Participant

Sadly I never seen or smoked old school bud but I’d love to see just how good it is. I grew up on what they called dro or headies so I never really got to dabble on much and who knows just what strain or variety’s I smoked. Now that I know a little about how it grows and the structure I figured I could paint the picture or maybe even grow it someday. Is there such strains still in the seed banks today?

Atom
      Participant

When i think old school bud i think brick weed, that nasty brown frown that was everywhere back in the day. Youd be lucky to find anything green, altho it wasnt unheard of. I’ll tell ya you didnt miss much if you we’re never blessed enough to try it. It was nasty, tasted like smoking maple leaves, smelled like a tire fire after you smoked it. Had loads of seeds that were smashed into every corner of your bud patty, you could never get them all out. Very likly sprayed with chemicals and pissed on by pattroling guard dogs. Ive heard stories of dead rats being found inside bails, you know they pealed out the rat and sold it. Im sure this stuff is around, especially in states that are not yet legal. Hard to imagine it being this far north, and when the shops selling ounces as low as 60$

mike h
      Participant

Like mentioned above back in the day it was hard to find anything but that brick weed brought up outta mexico. I was gifted a bunch of tester seed from another grower. They come from a company called old school chronic. Theyve got a website, and some nice sounding selection, I havent been able to finich any yet, but have a couple running now. Epoxy Og, and a Peanut butter skunk mints. Theyre growing good, and I should flip, but I am moving in a couple of weeks and dont wanna stresss them out. The breeders website is oldschoolchronic.com

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Keith
      Participant

Old school bud sucked.  Mexican brick weed that was browner than it was green.  Still great memories of it though.  I remember paging my dude with *the the price of what we wanted.  I’ll be back later to this thread.  This is a good one.

Somatek
      Participant

What’s “old school”, like are you talking the 50-70’s before indoor was really a thing?  80’s-90’s when people were figuring out indoor growing and the HT SoG video’s were produced showing the “height” of that age (if you haven’t seen them before check them out, the original was shot in a trailer and looks super ghetto by today’s standards).  I’ve been told that I’m “old school” as a commercial grower from 20 years ago which makes me laugh…

My general opinion is that over time the average quality has consistently gone up over time at the expense of varieties becoming more homogenous.  The bud I was buying/selling in the 90’s was a lot of commerical big bud skunks, M39, NL5/skunk crosses, hashplant, friesland/freezeland grown outdoors that often wasn’t dried properly and was quite often harvested early.  Although varieties were never named, just a bag of buds but talking to older growers those were the predominant genetics going around.  You needed to be connected to get good bud like the White Widow/Shark Shock, White Rhino, Bubblegum (my fav), etc which usually came from small growers who ran an extra light so they could afford a vacation/have a bit of pocket money but mostly grew for themselves.

2000-2010 saw a huge explosion in quality as growers exploited the loop hole created by the poor med regulations to grow more professionally.  There was also a lot of great “elite” clones that popped up in the 90’s from bag seed, most likely originating from Frank Gregax’s grows (OG kush, chems, sours, etc) since his pot was tested at over 30% THC in the early 90’s when he was busted but we don’t actually know the origins of most of the clones.  Combined with growers learning how to make S1 seeds and OG Kush originally selling for $800+ and ounce back in the day; there was of proliferation of inbreeding the modern american genetics which has created the modern seeds: gelato’s, wedding cake, GG4, etc.  Which are all very potent but often very generic and boring, which is why I don’t really grow any myself.

Keith
      Participant

Do you guys remember middies?

Somatek
        Participant

Mids were usually called sess around here, good bud either ‘dro or hydro until the early 2000’s when dealers starting having names as competition increased.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

Best stuff we had when I was a kid was just known as the hash plant,  these pinky finger sized buds covered in dark brown hairs, it was nasty looking for a hash plant, probably had beautiful purple tones to it when fresh, but we got it crispy from the outdoor hanging racks… and it ran red with resin.  Terpy, resinous, juicy joints, literally dripping red oil on your lip.  Great for a longterm buzz that came with a stony feeling and narcolepsy, must’ve been just loaded with CBN and who knows what else.

Somatek
        Participant

Sounds much better then the generally wet sacks or early harvested commercial cropper varieties I suffered through as a kid.  BC has such a better scene then us uncivilized easterners…

Brad104
      Participant

I’m lucky enough to have gotten some decent bud during that time.Like I’ve mentioned I live in a desolate place and every other person I will say 8-10 grow and sell smoke and lots of them do other things as well all in order to survive.I just do my thing and mind my business and keep it moving.back on track though I would get really good 🦨 weed sensamelia and seldom a little indica cross and alot of home grown, just real green sticky Bud.

Brad104
      Participant

Who on here is old enough like me who remembers smoking the true Columbian Gold 🪙 it was early early 80s

Somatek
        Participant

That’s the funny thing about pot, it’s more myth then substance as I’ve heard lots of old heads rail about how the “real” sativa’s were all ruined in the 70’s/early 80’s when indica’s were introduced to the gene pool to create plants that would mature consistently outside of Cali.

I’ve grown Honduras from Ace seeds which were collected from a grower in country who’s grown them for decades.  I was interested in exploring them as Phylos listed their genotype as the purest landrace available on the market and I wanted to do an open pollination to preserve them.  You can’t compare them to modern genetics as they’re a different beast, the high is very different and would be like comparing cake and pie.  There’s lots of native populations with minimal cross contamination and an equally passionate sub group of growers trying to preserve them.  Check out Irrazin/Indian Landrace Exchange for an example of someone not only working with farmers in traditional cannabis growing regions but making them available to the wider market.  I’m sure the two mystery seeds my friend gave me a couple years ago are the Balochistan #3 from the 2020 crop now that they’re flowering; they’ve got a light apple scent with some tart strawberry notes developing below them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close