Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Pollen Chucking: Guatamalan x Honduras

2 voices
12 replies
  • Author
      Somatek
      Participant

The Honduras is from Ace seeds (12 seeds grown out for an open pollination to make F2’s) and I got a cutting of my buddies Guatamalan girl which his friend collected the seeds for in country while touring the jungle at the base of a volcano.  The Guatamalan grew a columnar buds with a fairly tight structure on the traditonal xmas tree shaped plants (fairly high apical dominance) that takes about 12 weeks to flower if I remember correctly and had slight hermaphoditic tendencies.  The taste was fairly unremarkable with mild green chlorophyll/grass and citrus notes.  The effects are what’s really unique, smoking a bowl/joint is like drinking a shot or two of espresso and makes you jittery, hard to sit still and can easily induce anxiety and paranoia if over consumed with no ceiling that I’ve found so far (although I specifically don’t smoke much at once) and no sedative effects to speak of.  Coming down doesn’t leave you feeling tired as much as back to normal/not over stimulated; closer to psychedelics more then the typical narcotic/sedative varieties that dominate the market.  Honduras had a more typical “sativa” appearance, large buds of fluffy flowers, stimulating effects that produce a mild to moderate happy/euphoric effect with little to no anxiety and aroma’s mostly in the more astringent/sharp range with some variations from more sweet/fruity to more woody/pine/cedar after a 12-16 week flower (depending on pheno, most were 12-14).

Ideally the cross will keep a lot of the energy while mellowing out the anxiety/paranoia so it’s only prominent when high amounts are consumed.  It’d be nice if the flower structure ends up between the two parents as crossing tight vs fluffy buds tends to produce high yielding varieties.  If by chance the flavour is improved that be fantastic as neither parent is all that remarkable in that regard but I assume I’ll have to cross it to a more aromatic variety to improve the taste after finding a plant which has the effects and structure I’m looking for.

Somatek
      Participant

I found some pics of the seedlings while organizing the last years worth of pics today, I’ll snap some pics now that they’re in flower and finally starting to bud.  There was 6 females and 4 males in total.  So far 4 of the 6 girls have the same sweet jolly rancher smell, one has little smell and the other is more astringent/ammonia like.

All the girls around two weeks, two and a half after germinating.  There was also 4 shots of individual seedlings around a week or so in.

In general they’ve been a bit on the sensitive side, leaves twisted on a couple from the pH being off and they all are sensitive to being sprayed with pesticides.  There about 4 weeks into flower so I imagine in 10-12 weeks we’ll see how they turn out.  I just transplanted them into 2 gal pots a week or so ago, I always keep long flowering equatorial varieties root bound until the stretch is done to keep them manageable during flowering.  Both the parents liked to stretch, so I wasn’t taking chances with the offspring lol.

Somatek
      Participant

I just realised I actually have a couple pics of the Guat mom I can share as it was a weird plant.

This was the bud when my friends originally grew it, it was both foxtailed but dense compared to most equatorial plants.  Which makes me wonder if it’s feral pot that’s hybridized with modern genetics to some degree.  Here’s a shot of the whole plant, it was a big sprawling beast with long branches covered in bud and yielded pretty good.  The pic is kind of distorted as it was a tight grow room crammed with air cooled HID’s.  There were 4-6 tops that were each 2ft give or take.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Somatek.
      Brad104
      Participant

She’s a beautiful specimen, I am wondering something @somatek you say that they smell like jolly ranchers,I’m thinking that all these newer sweet breeder strains I will call them Skittles,runtz, tropical punch orange sherbet and so on.Do you feel that bugs like the sweeter plants I would think that they do but I figured you could school me on this

Thanks in advance @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

Nope, bugs don’t use smell as much as other senses.  Sweet varieties definitely aren’t new, there’s always been a trend to shift between the acrid/gas/skunky varieties and sweet/fruity ones.  Just another reflection of the heavy marketing influencing people instead of there being educated consumers that understand their personal preferences whether it’s skunky or sweet, high THC or moderate, stimulating vs sedative (most people haven’t tried truly stimulating pot as the commercial market doesn’t offer them outside of freak plants like the original Green Crack cut).  That’s the most exciting part of legalization to me, seeing an expansion of the very narrow commercial market to properly show the full range of cannabis products so people can learn their preferences.

Brad104
      Participant

I truly appreciate the information because I could have been tricked into That maybe I can at least see how people who are not properly educated can be tricked into buying a 50 or 75 dollar bottle of worthless watered down something so I do thank you for these 👍😃 results

Somatek
        Participant

That’s a very real worry as a lot of products aren’t worth it.  A lot of carb additives are basically watered down molasses, so basically really expensive water that no different then adding molasses to your water…

Brad104
      Participant

I’m starting to understand that more and more regularly, and especially I like the way you guys are doing with the alive soil with Neem seeds and other prevention plus kelp, volcano rock and alot of other goodies it’s definitely making an impression on me for real.

Somatek
        Participant

Organics/living soil is just as bad for over marketing of useless products that make it harder to grow good pot.  If you don’t understand the topic I’d stick with mineral salt fertlizers until you really understand it as otherwise it can cost a lot to get mediocre yields.

Brad104
      Participant

I appreciate that, I will definitely be sticking with the salt nutes then.I get the jest of it

Thanks @somatek always

Somatek
        Participant

My rule of thumb is organics are easy to get quality but hard to pull big yields from; hydro is the opposite as growing big buds is pretty easy but getting the same quality takes more work.

Brad104
      Participant

I heard that, and will always remember and keep that close to my chest you know

Thanks @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

It’s important to be realistic about things to avoid the marketing, either on the synthetic or organic sign.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close