Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation The Clone Zone

last updated by Atom 1 year, 6 months ago
4 voices
25 replies
  • Author
      Atom
      Participant

Tips, tricks, and pics. Come here to share your clone experiences or to ask some questions.

Atom
      Participant

I’ll start off with a few tips to help succeed in cloning.

First always make sure to clean all your tools with alcohol first. The cleaner things are, the less likely you can contaminate your clones.

Always dump your clone gel or powder into another container. You can later contaminate clones if you dipped one into container.

I always cut at an angle, some scrape or split the stem. I like to just kinds poke about 10 holes with corner of razor. Every hole will sprout out a root. If you get to carried away can cause stem to rott though.

I also like to stick a node into Rockwool. It helps start a nice root ball.

Keith
      Participant

Sweet thread name.  This will be very helpful for me soon.

Atom
      Participant

Had to cut clones this am so ill share a few tips I’ve found using rockwool.

After you soak, very lightly, I mean very, squeeze and hold at sorta an angle to remove some water. Then I shake them slightly and remove more, you don’t want them to be super soaked because you want them to get dried up, within a few days. (Once there getting dry i spray bottoms slightly every morning and every night until roots start. Then you can give more water. You want roots to search for water, and if there to wet it can cause the stem to rott.)

After you remove  I’d say roughly half the water put them upside down and poke your own holes, not in the center but half way between center and the edge. I do this for 2 reasons. It will help hold your clone up, I’ve found the hole that’s provided is always to large. And secondly it makes it a bit easier for roots to find the edge.

Using this method ive found that on average it takes about 8 days to root. I’ve seen as little as 6 days but never been able to recreate what ever happened there. I’ve also seen longer if I forgot to soray them. It’s pretty risky, if you forget to spray they can definitely die. I’ve seen them shriveled mess before and come back as well, just to experiment and gain something from my f up.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Atom.
      Atom
      Participant

Well these clones taking longer than normal but it happens sometimes. I think it’s a combination if 2 things, because I did everything exactly the same as and other time.

I didn’t have room for the clone tray and dome it was packed in there. I usually have dome on until the cubes get dried up, about 3-4 days. Slowly opening the vents a bit each day.

The biggest factor I think are these cheap rockwool cubes. I went to a different grow store than I normally would, this one was literally right across the street from dispensary. Well the guy sold on these cheaper cubes, they were half the price, and came lose in a huge cardboard box.

Could be many things I guess but this is what I figured happend. This pic was 3 days ago(10 days to show root) , 2 showed a root then and one the next day. One died from underwater, i must of missed spraying the bottom.Still waiting on the rest.

Somatek
        Participant

Chances are it’s more related to the brix of the mom you’re cutting clones off of as that’s the biggest factor in how quickly clones root outside of using an aerocloner to create the ideal conditions of constant moisture with high oxygen.  A plant with a brix of 10 vs 15 will look basically the same but will root slower as the cuttings don’t have as much energy in them to spur new growth compared to the higher brix plant.  Once cut a clone shuts down everything except creating a callus and new roots so it can start photosynthesizing again.

Atom
        Participant

10 days isn’t to bad I guess but normally the rest follow shortly after. I’m expecting to see more when I go in after light on. I always cut more than needed so will be good in the end.

I thought it could be how the cheap cubes were shipped/stored. Some are collapsed a bit. I’m just sticking with gro dan from now on regardless

Somatek
        Participant

I’d normally expect 7-14 days to root, if it takes longer then that then I worry about the health of the clones and mostly the mom.

Crushed cubes could definitely be a factor, don’t get me wrong as that’ll reduce the air space in them and they’re hard to fluff up.  I use soil as it’s cheaper and you doesn’t need to be buffered, although more rockwool comes pre-buffered and ready to use now.

Atom
        Participant

I just cut them at random basically so it’s possible some could of come off the plant in considering getting rid of in a different thread. I need to pay more attention to that I guess, some times it’s hard to find enough clones because I’m trying to flip em over so fast. Sometimes I need to slow down I guess.

Brad104
        Participant

Great example @atom of how to use the old school cube cloning method.dude I have took them that way for a while,I always put them inside a plastic tray and on a heating pad and I will poor an 1/8 inch of water in a tray of 50 a whole square is 46 or so the ones we buy but anyway a great way to take clones with out a cloning machine.Good showing @atom

Brad104
        Participant

Hey @atom how do you take cuttings by poking after cutting it instead of scraping I’ve only ever scraped a little is why I ask this is the first time I have heard of poken holes in them would you please explain my friend

Thanks for the information bro

Atom
      Participant

Here’s after 2 days of growing. I like to add a little bit of mykos after I see this many.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Atom
      Participant

Lets see if i can get the grape to clone faster in the tray with dome🙂

Brad104
        Participant

That’s a good idea bro, I am glad 😊 you shared that I’ve always sprinkled it in the whole at transplant,but why not 🚫 start it soon as they start to show in the cubes, great looking out bro @atom

Keith
      Participant

This is a zone of clones.

Atom
        Participant

Hey atleast it’s not the twilight zone lol

Keith
        Participant

The end product will put you in the twilight zone though.

Somatek
      Participant

Here’s my clone zone, well clone cutting zone at least.  I’ve been chatting with someone who’s had some of their plants test positive for Hemp Latent viroid and told them I’d send them a pic/describe how I try to keep things sterile to minimize cross contamination.  Although I’ve learned in that conversation and the reading it’s inspired I should be using diluted bleach to sterilize things, not 99% isopropyl alcohol.  Always new things to learn to improve our growing…

So, to explain the pic and my process let’s start with the two pint jars in the top corners.  I keep the snips I use to cut  clones in one with sterilizer so they’re cleaned between each plant, you’ll notice everything has a place on the tray so standardize things so my ADHD brain doesn’t leave the snips laying around unsterilized between plants.  The other jar has water in it so I can cut my clones and put them to soak until they’re all cut from that mom, I use a new pint jar for each mom so there’s no cross contamination, after cutting the clones and filling the jar the snips go into their jar and I pull the cuttings out one by one to prep them (strip lower leaves, etc) before placing them in the white oval dish filled with water.  Once they’re all prepped I cut the bottoms again under water about 1/2-1″ up from the bottom to avoid any air embolisms in the stem.  The two small jars at the front of the tray in the bottom left corner would have rooting hormone in them, again one jar per plant to avoid cross contamination, so after the clones are cut they all get dipped and then planted into a cell pack that sits in the open area of the tray.  The scalpel sits in a jar of sterilizer as well between being used and finally the last little jar has sterilizer in it so I can dump the water in the oval dish and wipe it/the tray down between plants.  You’ll notice everything that comes in contact with the plants is either glass, ceramic or metal for easy sterilization.  I take it to the extreme as I worry about losing moms like Purple G or Stellar Collision that aren’t replaceable, but like everything in growing being proactive and overly cautious is better then running into problems that might not be as easy to fix.  Hemps Latent Viroid for example is showing up in more and more clones/seeds and can only be cured from a plant through meristematic tissue culture as meristems and root tips are the only tissue unconnected to the vascular bundle and free of systemic pathogens.  That requires microscopes and skills beyound most home growers and the cost is prohibitive to pay professional’s (assuming that’s even an option).

Growers are generally really worried about bugs but often don’t consider all the bacterial, fungal or viral problems which generally aren’t visible and can be much worse in the long run if they’re systemic or you have bad cultural practices that spread them from plant to plant, generation after generation.

Atom
        Participant

Do you split, scrape or poke the stem? I prefer the poke method, it’s fast and never once had rott. I used to scrape and would get rott on occasion.

Somatek
        Participant

Nope, none of them as I learned to clone in bulk as I use to grow in a SoG so speed was important as I’d cut 200-300 clones at a time usually, up to as many as a couple thousand which already takes a full day.

I still generally take 4 times the clones as I need, mostly so I’m not wasting lower branches I prune before flowering a mom but also so I have lots of extras to give away.

I don’t keep moms per say, I grow a half dozen varieties in a perpetual cycle; rooting clones for 2-3 weeks depending on how many crops I’m cycling through the flower room, vegging for 2-3 weeks, pruning the plants for new clones before tossing into flower for 9-12 weeks.  So I’ll clone a “mom” up to a half dozen times per year instead of keeping one plant for 6-12 months before replacing it.

Atom
        Participant

That’s exactly how I do it, accept i cut 4-10 mabie at a time. On the spring I help a bunch of people out who dont necessary have means to get them, or can afford too. I don’t bother with mother. These clones are clones if clones about 8 times over for the grape pupil. Just as good as the first clone.

Somatek
      Participant

That’s my experience, as long as the moms/plants are healthy the clones will grow the same.  I’ve had cuts of plants that were 20-30 years old and still cranking out fat buds dripping with resin, I’ve never been a believer in “genetic drift” and the idea clones inevitably get worse the more generations they’re cloned.  It’s more risk to introduce pathogens which can make them grow sickly but that’s usually sloppy growing more then anything.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m trying the water method for once,it’s an expirament so I wanted to share it here she is swimming in her quick bottle ha 😅🤣😅

Somatek
        Participant

You mean cloning by just letting them sit in water?  I’ll do that during heat waves in the summer as I don’t use AC, so when temps are 30C plus I get better results by putting them in water and leaving in the fridge during the hottest parts of the day.  An old friend use to just root clones in the fridge all the time out of laziness….

Brad104
      Participant

Yes by just letting it sit in water, although I did dip it in clonex gel before placing it in the water and I always cut them on a 45 degree angle and then I scrape a quarter inch or so dip them in gel put it in my  machine or I place them in their cube and then I hurry up and wait.My question for you or @atom is what did he mean do you scrape them or poke.Ive only ever scraped how do you scrape and for what purpose for we have not really seen any problems scraping the cuttings, I admit I only have like 95 plants cutting @time our machine holds 72 and I think our cubes come in sheets of 46 so I took a sheet of cubes and a whole machine load and I only lost 4 they were 3 in cubes and 1 in the machine honest truth.I don’t use any solution besides 25,% of my base grow and they always turn out really good.Anyway back on track why and how do you poke a cutting please ?

Atom
        Participant

I poke holes because it’s supposed to shoot out a root from every spot you poke it. I get better results than with split or scrape.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close