Home Forums Grow Journal Training & topping for a 32 cola canopy (1 plant)

6 voices
45 replies
  • Author
      Cannabliss
      Participant

I am going to give you guys a look at how I created a beauty of a plant with basic knowledge & a boat load of patience.  Here she is in flower. Just a peek though 🧐

Strain is Glueberry Muffins By Destiny Exotics.

(Which I may have mistakenly left out of my top breeders list)

Cannabliss
      Participant

I am scrambling through my folders to recover all of the important pics for this thread. Please 🐻 with me.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Germination on 10/29

Brad104
      Participant

Dude I had no idea it was going to be this quick with the post,but it’s most appreciated bro.Its  astonishing!

Cannabliss
        Participant

No problem man. I enjoy this. Only downside is I now have to clean up my pictures & organize. I been meaning to do it, and now it’s biting me in the butt lol. I’m still organizing. I have folders to go through still.

Atom
        Participant

What sized pots you running here brother? The stump on that thing is ridiculous lol

Cannabliss
        Participant

She went into a 5 gallon for her final pot.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Working on these files as we speak. I’m trying to organize 7 or 8 grows worth of pics. 😅 Way more than I bargained for, but I’m pot committed  😂 And now that I see this pic, it makes me realize that This plant stayed in veg for the entire life of the auto clones. 2 clones were still in the dome waiting on bigger roots. 

These rotated pics are annoying 🙄 but this pic is at day 15 from sprout (Nov. 12th)

Nov. 15th (Day 18) or what I would call 1 week into veg. Already getting too big for her cup.

So she went into what looks like a 1gal, but I think it was 2.5gal. on 11/19

Cannabliss
      Participant

11/19 is when she was first topped.

Cannabliss
      Participant

She had a bit of bleeding going on when I topped her.

I chopped the top 3 or 4 nodes off, and also removed the bottom set of branches.

I’m only keeping 4 of the plants original branches, and working my way to 32 branches with a series of topping sessions. Along with it will require additional training to accommodate them all without a trellis for support.

I only kept the 3 nodes in between that, and started LST right away pinning the branches down.

I cut the growth coming in, but I kept the section of stalk to chop again.  It’s just part of my plan to fatten up her trunk. Also by keeping a large nub & not topping too close to my 2 new tops it provides support. Less of a chance to split the stem.

Cannabliss
      Participant

As the branches grow out I keep moving the tie downs toward the end by the foliage.

11/24

Cannabliss
      Participant

11/26 I slid the tie downs back again.

11/27 Right back to business.

I topped the top of the stump again, and topped each of the 4 branches on 12/1

Cannabliss
      Participant

At this point I have released the tie downs for the 4 main branches.

They shall return.

Here’s her trunk on 12/1

Here is one of the 4 main branches that I topped that had 4 new shoots ready to go instead of 2.

I topped 4 branches once which should have given me 8 tops, but now we have 10 coming in.

(Note to future self.. that section is going to get crowded, veg longer to space them out more.)

12/2

More tying down again.

after tying down I trimmed her up good. 

I’ll be back in a bit with more. Got some trimming to do.

Brad104
        Participant

Man this gal is just extraordinary! You should be proud of yourself dude.I mean this is beautiful and it’s the beginning of a great tutorial, when you get your pic’s straitened out,but very well done again @cannabliss you are the man bro!

Cannabliss
        Participant

Much appreciated 🙏🏼

Cannabliss
      Participant

Tie downs up close.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Cannabliss
      Participant

I can’t win with these pics auto rotating.

Somatek
        Participant

You need to open them, change the orientation and re-save them as the website is stripping the exif data with orientation details by the look of it.  I’m on a private forum where security is a bigger deal as it was started at the height of paranoia after CW/OG were busted an no one knew what data the cops had from the servers, the same problem happens if you don’t edit your pics and save the data to the file instead of relying on exif data.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

Mobile still rotates pics?   Have you tried the ‘desktop’ version of the site on your device?  Or uploading from a pc?

I’m kinda lazy so I use an app to send my photos from my phone over to the desktop for cropping, labelling before uploading.

Somatek
        Participant

The only way I’ve gotten pics to post in the proper orientation is by saving them after editing, which is why I assume it’s an exif data issue but I don’t know much about computators so take it for what it’s worth.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I’m going to test that out. Thanks for reminding me. I didn’t think of that.

I’ll strip the data on my own & won’t on another. Silly enough I made a thread to test video uploads. I will take this test there as well as no to crowd up the rest of the forum with non sense pics lol

Somatek
        Participant

Good luck figuring it out

Cannabliss
        Participant

Yes, all of these pictures are old.  So it’s all coming from a hard drive.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Cannabliss
      Participant

12/08

12/09

Just letting her grow untied for the time being. The branches will be tied down again.

This is helping to strengthen them to hold up on their own later on. You can also twist each node in alternating directions til you hear a pop. This is called the Kushman’s Chiropractic method afaik. Here is a video on it. It’s a great watch. Lots of great tips for growing an awesome plant.

Cannabliss
      Participant

12/09 right before being tied down again, defoliated & topped again on each branch.

Lots of tops to snip!

Cannabliss
      Participant

So that we’re all caught up to this point..

We waited for 7-8 nodes to grow before topping the plant down to 4 nodes. (bottom 8 branches – rest gone)

The bottom 2 branches were then stripped. leaving 4 actual branches. The 2 new shoots were removed, and the stump was kept below the cut. (This was only used to prevent the main stalk from splitting while I tied the remaining 4 branches down.)

About 10 days later I topped again removing the extra stump.  A 2nd benefit is the main stalk became pretty beefy.

2 weeks later, each of the 4 branches were topped.

1 branch had 4 tops instead of 2. This gave us a total of 10 tops instead of 8.

2 weeks later she was topped again, leaving us with 20 tops.

Do you remember in the beginning where I said it would get crowded? It did, so the 2 branches that were growing from the bottom of the main line had to go. This is why we only see 18 tops snipped on the tray in the pic.  Now after this topping session, we are working with 32 total!

She’s tiny isn’t she? You can barely tell what that actually is. Still looks like 4 branches to me lol.

That’s only until you see what happened next..

Trunk on 12/11

Cannabliss
      Participant

Now some intense training…  keep in mind.. you will see the ties appear & reappear. You should be using them as needed to keep the canopy even. If 1 top is sitting up taller than all the others, tighten the tie on it to bring it down.

At this point, everything is still being trained outward. We need space for these branches to gain some mass later on & not be over crowded.  That can lead to mold if not careful.

These pics are from 12/13

Can you see the difference in these two pics after the tie downs were tightened up? It shows the 4 branches flatten out nicely while the base stays strong. It’s so easy to split these stems & stalks. Always handle you’re girls with care.

Area 415
      Participant

Well done, that veg time must have been nuts

Cannabliss
        Participant

122 days of veg. It was a long cycle, but exciting.

Cannabliss
      Participant

12/15

12/19  Getting ready to defoliate again & even out the tie downs.

When I said defoliate… I meant it lol

Cannabliss
      Participant

12/25

Her canopy grew right back in.

12/29

Brad104
        Participant

Wow 😳 I know that is right you certainly did defoliate her bro, but I know you know what time it is for I’ve seen the results of her, excellent job my friend just excellent work bro!

Brad104
        Participant

Your pictures didn’t upload bro for 12-19 and 12/25 after the heavy defoliation you gave her.Wanted to see how thick and quick her hair grew back 😅🤣😅🤣

Cannabliss
        Participant

That’s weird I can see them.

Brad104
      Participant

I can see them now,so I don’t know what was up sorry to bother bro but I swear it was blank when I sent you the reply bro,but I see everything now I will holler at you later bro

Cannabliss
        Participant

Ok cool. I need to get more pics in here further into the grow. Gonna get on it asap, I’ve just been caught up a lot the past couple of weeks. All is good tho.

Brad104
      Participant

I knew you were busy cause I have not heard or seen much from you like normal,but nonetheless we’re glad and blessed to to have you back. You my dude are definitely one of the top growers on here my friend.Im super glad I’m able to get some of your knowledge on growing, and I am thankful for everything bro, have a good night.

Cannabliss
      Participant

1/04 before another defoliation session.. just not as extreme.

After

1/17 & she’s bushed out again.

Under shots

Took a lot more off on this occasion. Including lolli-popping Keeping only a couple of nodes up top, and removing everything below that.

Cannabliss
      Participant

1/21 = Transplant from 2gal to 5gal

More training begins. Lots of tying down this time. Time to spread this girl out & give those branches some space while keeping the canopy even.

All the tallest branches were laid & tied down first. I used plain old office paper clips to secure the ties to the pot. They pierce the fabric with much less effort & are easily removed.

The way I tie them down is by wrapping the tie around the branch I’m bending, and pull it through the paper clip. I keep pulling through until the top is where I want it. (Even with the others)

The shorter ones come after. 

Some smaller branches needed to be super cropped in order to fit in.

Super cropping requires pinching the inter node area most of the time, in order to soften & manipulate the branch to be where you want it to be. Bending it every which way & not breaking the stem is the goal, so be gentle with your bends.

These will need to be secured to be kept down.

For those tough to pinch spots on thicker branches I used brute force in the form of a needle nose pliers, and the rubber coating from the soft plant ties. I pad the branch with the rubber & pinch with the pliers.

Above was all from 1/21 these below are from 2/12 (Light switched to 12on/12off on 2/02)

**side note: I do not recommend placing a dehumidifier that close to your pots.  It absorbs the moisture. Not good. 

One top got a little too tall. Got the pliers & laid her down  + added a tie down.

2/14

As some of you may be thinking.. “Holy s%#t that looks like a lot so far!”

Trust me it is. From seed to flipping the light for flower took 129 days. (Over 4 months)

If you have a separate tent to do something like this in, it’s an awesome project, but definitely not for those who want a quick harvest. Some say you can top once & LST train in less time to produce the same amount of bud, and I agree.. but it’s not the same.

That’s all the training the plant will need. While they stretch in flower, just monitor the evenness of the canopy. If one top starts taking off over the others even by an inch, just adjust your ties tighter on that branch. If using paper clips & soft ties like the ones I have, just loosen the tie from the clip & pull it in a little more before securing it at the level you want it.

Atom
        Participant

Very cool, that thing is beauty and the beast all in one. Love that trunk 🤯

Cannabliss
        Participant

Thanks! She was fun to grow.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Here you can see where I would tighten up, right where the tie wraps around the paper clip.

2/23

Trunk on 2/14

Trunk on 2/23

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for this journal my dude, I am enjoying it for certain.I am impressed with the plant period.Thanks @cannabliss

Cannabliss
        Participant

Anytime man. I just hope it inspires some of our artistic minds here to train themselves a little, or huge monster at least once to experience it. It’s like adding your own flavor to an already delicious dish 😋😋😋

Brad104
      Participant

Yeah you sure added the flavor to her my friend.I can only imagine how she smoked and taste.I wish you the best and hope you have a great next harvest,can’t wait to see your next journal bro have a good evening I’m still hear fighting and scratching for this win I got docked 200 points again this morning man, they’re killing me,but I don’t have quitting in me bro! Ha ha if I get any of those prizes I will be happy!Hey when it comes down to it it’s all free right!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close