Forums

Home Forums Q&A Your opinion matters!

6 voices
52 replies
  • Author
      Atom
      Participant

OK guys I have a little dilemma and want some other opinions. In this new 2×4 I put 4 plants in 3 gallon pots. I’m thinking that was a mistake it become very over grown and the way I see it I have 3 options.

1. I can just ride it out see what happens, hope I don’t get mildew. Defoliate as I normally would.

2. I could heavily Defoliate. Really strip em down. They will probably stretch more and I’m about maxed on light height mabie 4 more inch.

3. I can just completely get rid of one plant. There’s actually one lagging slightly behind so I know which one it would be no doubt. I have no place to put it. No one to give it to so it would be to the gallows.

I’m just curious what some of you would do if you were in my situation. I appreciate any input 🤘

Atom
      Participant

I forgot the image

Cannabliss
        Participant

All females? I would keep them all in there & flip asap. You are going to want to train branches to the pot (going around the pots) and clean up what isn’t getting much light about 21 days from flip. Mostly lower/satellite branches that won’t amount to much at all.
        It’s gonna be some work, but it can be done. A trellis up top for support should be something to plan on as well. Gorgeous plants.

Atom
        Participant

There about 10 days into flower or else I’d just give one away to another grower. This is a new tent set up so wasn’t sure how it would go. This strain balloons up so bad it’s kinda ridiculous. I figured 4 would be fine but it’s not lol. I usually only defoliate the first day of flip and week 3 of flower,I don’t remember the exact reason but if I recall it has something to do with the plant hormones. It was a book called 3 a light. If someone can refresh my memory about that please do.

Thank you for your input Cannabliss, I think I’ll go in there and defoliate a bunch and see what I can make happen. I’m personally leaning towards just chopping one. I know there was all the work and some money but sometimes you gotta make that decision.

Really wish I knew more local indoor growers. Most everone I know who grows are in there 50s-70s and there outdoor old school.

Atom
        Participant

Well I went in there and stripped them pretty good. I realized after looking back at notes I thought I flipped 10 days ago, but had mishap setting timmer up right. So they were actually on 24 hour light for 2 days. I’ve been very busy with outdoor garden and preping for the winter season and completely forgot I did that. Can’t stress the importance of note taking, it’s easy to get busy with life and forget.

Anyway I’m still debating pulling that other plant. Since it’s only been a week I may see if someone has room in veg room for the smaller one. It’s significantly smaller than the others, it’s the one I marked with yellow tag.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Atom
        Participant

Also I’m ordering a net today. Hopefully I’ll hear from you before the end of day, but what is that net your using? That thick ass black one? I’d like to get one

Racky
      Participant

I got 2

Attachments:
        EZ DWC
        Participant

The thin string nets work better unless you are gonna build a net frame. I’d super crop em all and slam em under a net. You can still train in early bloom. Hell I sometimes top 3weeks into bloom. I get great results.

Racky
      Participant

6 weeks old

Attachments:
      Racky
      Participant

Hope they have enough room

Attachments:
      Racky
      Participant

How tall did yours get. Mine grow having me move the light almost daily

Attachments:
        Atom
        Participant

Mine are almost to tall at 3 foot or so but I think I should be alright. I’m most likely just going to pull one plant. With the two you have you should be ok. What size pots you running?

Atom
        Participant

I’d like to suggest removing those leave close to the pot. It can be a bridge for bugs to reach your plant, and also eater can splash up when you water. It won’t hurt your plants, in fact it will help direct resources to the upper part of the plant,where those fat buds will grow.

Check out my pictures posted under The veg room and how much I stripped off them in before and after. Not saying go that crazy, I just want to use it as an example of who much you can potentially remove.

Racky
      Participant

5 gallon pots and i will remove those next time i do more LST

Attachments:
      Racky
      Participant

I meant to post this one

Attachments:
        Atom
        Participant

That’s a crazy looking bracket for that fan you got there. What’s that thing called?

Racky
      Participant
      • Tent shelf found it online some where lol. Works good though. Only paid 10 bucks for it and it hools right to tent pole
      Attachments:
        Cannabliss
        Participant

I need to get one of those. I need something sturdy enough to hold up my oscillating fan above the canopy. I have some pretty cool cup holders made from a 3d printer. Lots of accessories out there thanks to those machines. 

Atom
        Participant

Dude that is a massive clone in that solo cup lol. I always feel I cut mine way to small but hey it works.

Cannabliss
        Participant

This was a mother plant I have had her in that solo cup since February. I took more clones, so this old bitty is going to meet up at the pearly gates with her ancestors lol.

The net I got is from Inkbird. It’s a 2 piece set. like 28 bucks I think it was on Amazon.

Atom
        Participant

OK thanks man. I do appreciate it. I was actually approached by inkbird to try out a free co2 wifi monitor, but I’m paranoid about PayPal so I decided to decline the offer. I may just buy one actually. The device was pretty sweet, and I’ve always wondered what levels of co2 I’m at.

Somatek
      Participant

I’d probably pull the smallest plant out, set it by a good south facing window if possible, ideally with a supplemental light and train it to fill your tent when your current crop is done.  Yield and quality will suffer in an over crowded canopy, stripping the leaves helps to a point by increasing light penetration at the cost of losing photosynthetic surface area and decreasing individual bud size.  Overall yield won’t really change, bud size and possibly quality may though.

Atom
        Participant

I’m worried mostly about WPM, then that infecting every thing else. I’d pull every single one of them if it means avoiding that headache. I think my sensor might be off a little, but right now after all that I pulled off it’s reading 74 with 67% humidity. I have dehumidifier pointed right at intake. I’m really not worried about yeild, I probably should of skipped the run completely.

It’s supposed to be for breeding but i ended up with extra clones, and had space on my plant limit, brand new set up, new 2022 sf2000 I mean common what would you do? The formula was right so I went for it. I forget how much thus strain blows up, it’s ridiculous. I gotta belive it attributes to the lanky-ness of the stems.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s a very good thing to be worried about as dense foliage often has moisture trapped between them because of transpiration, which creates the perfect shaded, moist area for spores to germinate.  So it’s a question of whether you want to remove a plant to thin the canopy or strip leaves to keep the variety which if it’s a seed crop may be more important as in that case it’s not about yield/quality of flower.

Atom
        Participant

It’s clones from the strain I just harvested. I like to keep running the same kinds. I feel like I can always get it better the next run, that and I don’t Wana order seeds all the time. I have seen grow shops starting to sell seeds, but who knows how old they might be and I doubt they give the germination guarentee. Someone had me start some purple kush from crop king this spring. 5 of 6 popped, they showed me some pics but I haven’t tried It yet.

Somatek
        Participant

I personally always run clones, it takes a couple crops to figure out how a plant likes to be grown and really see the best it can be.  I’ll often keep a couple moms until I’ve grown them out a couple times, unless there’s a clearly superlative plant I’ll keep the best 2-3 and grow them out a couple times before deciding which to keep as sometimes one pulls clearly ahead once things are dialed in to their needs and the taste, stone or yield just pops.  Plus good seed are expensive like you said, why waste them.

Now that you’ve clarified they’re all clones of the same variety, not mixed for breeding as I assumed after your last comment, I’d go back to my original suggestion, pull the smallest one out and give the others space, ideally grow it off to the side somewhere until it has proper space.  Assuming there’s room of course as I have no idea how big your place is, my tiny apartment is definitely pretty limited but then again I tell people I live in a grow house, not grow in my house.  At a certain point you just have to admit the plants have taken over and it’s their space lol

Atom
        Participant

I don’t have room for it really, it’s kinda a shame to waste one but sometimes it’s for the best. I should of made the decision long ago but I thought they would be smaller in 3 gallon pots tbh. 2 in 5 gallon would probably fit perfectly with this strain.

Somatek
        Participant

Chop it into clones to gift out then?  Better then killing a plant and always a good way to make new friends.

Atom
        Participant

I’d love to just give the plant away completely but no one wants it this early. They get started about Feb for outdoors

Brad104
      Participant

I would cut my losses bro and get rid of the lagging dude.You will be better off doing it,I believe.I didn’t even read any other replies before telling you this for I think it’s your best option in my opinion bro, what have you decided to do bro?

Atom
        Participant

It’s still in there, the net arrives today. I’ll see how it looks then make my decision. Most likely I’ll just get rid of her.

Brad104
      Participant

I know it’s a hard pill to swallow, but it is going to be for the best I believe.I just hope I don’t run into the same problem in this 4×4 I’m building.I am trying to decide what light will be the best you know?

Atom
        Participant

I’d go for the sf4000 for 4×4. Anything bigger you would probably want the bar style. But I’ve never ran bars, I’m just going by the fact that my 4000 don’t quite fill my 5×5 and seems perfect fit for a 4×4. It also depends on budget, the bars are newer so carry a heavier price tag.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m vegging 5 now in 3 gallon infinity fabric pots.I hope that I don’t run into the same thing as your in now my dude.I have 2 fuel dog plants,2 white widow and 1’purple ghost.I appreciate you helping me out I will get up with you l.

Atom
        Participant

It is what it is. Certainly better than having not enough plants. I just had a mega harvest with this latest crop, it’s not like I’ll be out meds or anything, in fact I’m debating turning this 4×2 run into FF hash. I want to see how it compares to the outdoor which was early.

It is holiday season though and I usually give alot away so will have to see what I end up with from this run.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s the rub, it’s easy to grow an impressive plant all by itself in a grow space until you look at the actual yield per area per watt, which you need to fill the space to hit decent numbers.  Finding the right balance between not enough and too many makes growing a lot harder as you need to know how the plants grow, how much space they need for stretch and how to train them or else you end up with an untamed jungle that doesn’t produce well, although still much better then that single plant usually…

Brad104
        Participant

I’m going to try a total of 4 in my 4×4 but I believe that is still not enough I think I am just going to do 3 instead of 4 cause I know that 1 foot a plant is not going to be enough so but I think maybe 3 in it and I’m thinking about that what is anyone else opinion how

Atom
        Participant

I think you should be ok with 4. It should fill it up about perfect. I just had 8 in my 4×4 and it was pretty packed but doable with that strain.

Somatek
        Participant

The variety really does make a big difference as some like to stretch and spread out a lot more, I’m noticing that with the Garlic Cookies compared to the Stellar Collision, Purple G and Sensi Star (which is the most compact of the 4).  The GC has lots of long branches and definitely needs more space/training compared to the others.

Brad104
        Participant

Thanks for the information @atom for I don’t want to screw this grow up.Ive got to show someone something with this and I really want to impress them you know what I mean, and I wish the smoke to be good to you know bro

Thanks @atom

Atom
      Participant

So after a few day’s of going back and fourth, weighing every ones opinions ive decided to just pull out the one plant. I have a net otw should be here today. After pulling them all out to water and seeing the differences in the plants it made the decision easier. It just not growing as well as the other’s for whatever reason. It wasnt an easy decision but i think its for the best.

Attachments:
        Somatek
        Participant

No point fighting the plants, culling weaker plants is a common practice and you’ll probably find you get a better crop over trying to squeeze the  extra girl in.

Atom
        Participant

I should of caught it early but been a busy few months. I’m almost all ready to go for winter. Few things but probably 90% done

Somatek
        Participant

I feel like I’ve had the attention span of an over caffeinated squirrel lately lol, slowly chipping away at all the project.  Now if I could just figure out how to attach the drive shaft to the agitator for the bubble machine.  I think I’m going to need to buy/borrow a tiny tap to make a solid connection but I’ll post pics when I get it cleaned up, see if anyone has a simple idea…

Brad104
        Participant

I know My opinion doesn’t way a whole lot bro but I know that you done the right thing just remind me in a month or so from now that I told you to pull it when my 4×4 is full and I’m asking what to do ok bro, also I bought the recharge sticks enough to see a difference I believe but I already know that it’s going to be great stuff bro thanks again @atom

Atom
        Participant

You’ll definitely notice a difference with recharge. I took your opinion in consideration what makes you say that? I took all of your opinions in consideration and appreciate you all 🤘

Brad104
        Participant

My bad bro I just know there’s a lot of better growers than I and I know I have quite a bit more to learn but I second guess myself and when I do a lot of time I am right,but it wasn’t anything you said I appreciate everything you have done for me and I know that you will be able to help me in the coming weeks,soon as I place my next order probably Monday, I will be buying more of the recharge sticks I remember you saying that you cut it out during flowering I can’t remember what week though but I should be able to get through my grow with good colors in my plants with no lockouts

Thanks again bro 😁

Atom
        Participant

You welcome and I’ll always answer any questions anyone has. I really do swear by recharge, there’s probably other things that are similar this is just the one I found.

Brad104
        Participant

As id mentioned to you previously I had really been reading up on it and I was almost ready to get it on my own then when you endorsed it so well I was sold on it.i know it was a good purchase cause I have seen a few little brown spots like we’re on the peyote gorilla I got rid of already so hopefully the recharge will straighten it out.I Really believe that this purple ghost candy is going to be something special it’s rated 28-30% THC I do believe, and it’s a beautiful plant.

That’s what I am thinking about it

Atom
        Participant

Just be mindful recharge will stain the hell out of things. I would definitely advise against putting it in cloner.

Somatek
        Participant

Every grower has more to learn, if they say they don’t then their ego is getting in the way of growing (lol, both literally and figuratively, gotta love a good accidental pun).  You have the right attitude by acknowledging you need to learn, I remember how confusing it is as a beginner having your opinions second guessed.  Just keep asking the question you need to in order to put the puzzle together, there’s lot of people here to help so don’t think twice about it.  Chances are there’s other people wondering the same things, so it helps everyone when people ask questions and more info is shared.

Atom
        Participant

There’s always more to learn. Even master growers are still learning. For me the best way to learn is to just get in there and do it. I retain the information much better than reading about it. You gotta be willing to lose a plant to experiments, take that chance that mabie increases yeild 10, 20%. I would never suggest doing a whole run, but mabie try super crop or whatever it might be, observe what happens, then conclude if it’s a good technique for you and your style if grow. If you mess it up, move on to something new circle back to it after a year or two. The lessons should never end, atleast not for me ✌️

Somatek
        Participant

I learn through a combination of experience to drive home what I’ve learned and then reading to expand my knowledge base so I can then apply that to improve my growing.  As an autodidact with ADHD I can happily sit and lose myself in learning for a day or five.  Listening to someone speak is useless for me as I retain nothing, school was especially fun lol.  The nice thing about pot growing coming out of the closet as the laws slowly crumble is how growers ego’s are held in check instead of running free in a vacuum.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close