Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Favorite nutrient lineup or solo product?

last updated by Treetrunk422 1 year ago
13 voices
41 replies
  • Author
      NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

Alright, this thread is going to get really subjective really fast, but outside of sheer anecdote….

What’s your favorite product(s) or lineup that really made a difference in your grows?  Is it exclusively that one product that’s great or is there a comparable alternative on the market that you know of?

Could be as simple as epsom salts for magnesium hungry plants under LED’s or a homemade bug spray, or as involved as a whole nutrient lineup.

I personally grow under LED in promix soil and love the House & Garden line; their buffered soil nutes, amino complex, and roots excelurator make for some interesting results.  The base soil nutrient is buffered, contains calcium nitrate and magnesium in the base formula along with humic and fulvic acids, preventing a lot of lockout and deficiency issues or just simply reducing the amount of calmag required.  I haven’t found any direct replacement for this nutrient combo.

I’ve seen some aminos and hydrolyzed proteins in other products, but the H&G amino blend also has kelp extract, micronized silica, and monosilicic acid in addition to what you’d expect, I think it also has an organic stimulant in it, they mention a seed extract but not which one, could be japonica extract or alfafa, maybe grapeseed, all have beneficial growth hormones latent in their extracts.

Roots Excelurator Gold/Silver: two versions, one for hydro one for soil, contains kelp, B vitamins, molasses, beneficial microbials and another seed extract.  A good alternative I’ve heard is TPS Root Boost, but I haven’t found any in Canada to try.

One product I haven’t found a 1:1 replacement for is GH FloraMicro Hard Water nutrient, the hard water formulation helps a ton when trying to add micros and avoid calcium toxicity.  (my tap water is already 300ppm calcium, 50mg magnesium, per the village assessment data)  – contains a wicked iron chelate that helps with absorption of the other micros.

GH Floralicious Plus – some overlap here between the amino acid complex from H&G, this is also much more affordable, even if you need to add a silica product to your mix.

– contains concentrated blend of microbial, plant, marine, mineral extracts, including vitamins, sugars, aminos and phytostimulants, aromatic oils and ~20% sea kelp extract.

Does anyone have favorite nutes?  Tell us below – please include medium and light source.

Atom
      Participant

I’ve tried a few different things, some samples some I’ve paid for. None of them really made much if a noticeable difference accept for 2.

One is mykos. When I started using it I was skeptical. Someone kept recommending but I had tried other things with no real results. The roots go crazy with this stuff. When I go cube to solo cup, there’s roots in the bottom of cup before I even water for 2nd time, speeds up root production and therefore over all production.

Number two is Recharge. I would have problems close to bloom flip with yellow tops and just overall plant health. Did some reading, found this stuff and at first I used just when I had problems. It definitely helped but I started using regularly and I rarely have a problem. Just truly amazing stuff.

As far as nutrients go I just use technaflora line with those two products and silica. Grown in soil (fox farm) under T5HO->LED now, the past it was MH400w/ T5->1000w HPS

Keith
        Participant

Dang bro you just finally sold me on recharge.  I’ve heard so much about it but I’ve already added so much to my nutrients.  I want to try it though.  Do you use it start to finish?  I too was very happy with the results from myco on my roots.

Brad104
        Participant

Hey bro @atom have you used the recharge stick or just the powder , I’m just wondering cause I can get 5 sticks for 9.00 and a lb of dry fertilizer is like 57.00 for I do wish to try it out.Ive honestly checked it out on Amazon before you recommended it, Thanks

Atom
        Participant

I tried the sample packs first, soon after I bought an 8oz pack. You can get 8oz still but only on there website. I asked them why Amazon stopped selling 8oz and they said Amazon sent them all back. They didn’t elaborate. I ended up waiting a few months then just got the 1lb bag. I’ve had it since spring and used it on my outdoor plants and still have probably a 1/3 of bag left.

Never tried the sticks or grow dots

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Atom.
        Atom
        Participant

I use it until halfway into flower. It helps boost nitrogen so not necessarily good for end of flower. Although that’s only what I’ve read and not tested personally. It’s such a good one, You will not regret it.

Keith
        Participant

And it’s something you use along side your other nutrients?  I’m going to go check it out now and read some about it.  It’ll prob answer my questions.

Somatek
      Participant

Third times the charm as this is definitely the most detailed post about nutrients instead of just asking “what’s the best nutrient” like previous threads.

I’ve been using Nature’s Nectar for the last couple years, a three part organic nutrient made from bat guano (high P), soy bean hydrolysate for N (which appeals to me as it’s a byproduct of the ag system instead of a fresh input) and Kelp for K (boosted with mineral salts).  Since switching to LED’s I’ve added remo’s CalMag (lowest price with quality ingredients) and then grow in a fortified soil mix w/biochar that I’ve used for a couple years with various amendments added periodically.  Although I really need to get it tested to make sure it’s still balanced or see how it needs to be adjusted.

I’ve added myco’s periodically but don’t find they make much difference as the soils probably already loaded with them.  Same with humic acids/fulvic as there’s already a lot of compost in the mix.  I do use root boosters with young clones to establish a good root to shoot ratio, which organic growers often criticize me for as it’s totally synthetic/”unnatural” but as far as I’m concerned growing indoors is inherently unnatural and it’s more important to work within your conditions and the limitations they create instead of trying to mimic a “natrual” enviro when there’s nothing natural about it.  My priority is yield, quality with the lowest carbon footprint possible and if artificial boosters help that’s all that matters.  I really want to switch from the GH root booster (can’t remember it’s name off hand) to the H&G roots exelurator; any opinion on the gold vs silver and if it’s worth spending the extra coin?

I use to use Canna nutes and really enjoyed their ease of use, limited product line that covers the essentials without costing an arm and a leg.  Combined with b’cuzz bloom in flower the results easily equaled most organic or hydro organic bud I grew over the years.

For people using mineral salt fertilizers in a soilless medium I generally suggest using a good fulvic acid supplement to make sure the micro nutes are chelated.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

I used the search bar prior to posting but didn’t find anything on point…  guess the earlier posts were removed?  or we talkin offtopic stuff in other threads?

Anywho, the roots excelurator… the gold is for soil and the silver is thinner for hydro systems so you don’t stress a pump or clog your sprayers.  As far as if its worth the spend… I’m not 100% sure yet.   If I had a second source of beneficial microbes I might switch to something else like clonex or hormex liquid for my clones since I don’t really need the extra rooting support in my larger plants.

Somatek
        Participant

I can’t remember what the threads were called, I saw two others asking what nutes people used/what’s the best nute that never really gained any traction.  I wouldn’t worry about it as it’s not the first or last time it’ll happen and like I said there’s more to chew on here as you started it from a nuance, subjective perspective.

I’ve always used a root booster as there’s a definite difference in root growth early on.  Although now that I think about it I don’t know if I ever bothered to compare end yields between the two…

Nate
        Participant

What would a good fulvic acid summpliment be in your opinion?

Somatek
        Participant

Most are derived from leonardite so there probably isn’t much difference to be honest since the source is the same.  I’d go with what’s available locally and well priced, unless there’s a significant difference between them but usually there isn’t.

Nate
        Participant

Okay, good to know. I’ll have to head to the hydro store and see what they carry.

Keith
        Participant

I use Mr fulvic.  Do you have an opinion about it?

Somatek
        Participant

Cool name?  Otherwise no but if you want to list what it’s made from, the concentration/usage rates, cost, etc it’s easy to compare with other products.  I haven’t had to buy fulvic acid in a long time as using compost, manures and EWC there will be plenty.  Plus I use granulated humic acid in some of the compost tea recipes although it was never explain what it supposedly does for the microbes now that I think of it…

Like I said with Nate it really comes down to simply comparing the product, assuming it’s made of leonardite (like the majority) then it comes down to a cost analysis; how much is the adjusted price based on usage rates/concentration?  Some may seem less expensive until you realise they’re mostly water compared to another which may cost more but makes a lot more nutrient solution as it isn’t diluted down to manipulate the consumer.

Keith
        Participant

I’ve tried doing a comparison between different products but I’m still trying to build the base of knowledge needed to understand what all the elements are and what they do.  I’ll just let it go for now and continue to learn what I can.

Somatek
        Participant

If you want to post some links we can discuss them, it can be confusing as a lot of manufacturers aren’t necessarily transparent.  Happy to help research them if you want a hand getting your brain around it.

Keith
        Participant

Shit man I never saw this, thank you.

Keith
      Participant

Man all I’ve used so far are fox farm.  I read they were easy so I began with them.  I’ve had a compost pile going for a while though and I really want to get into living soil.  I’m going to go back and read through this whole thread.

Keith
      Participant

Dude those nutrients have everything I’m adding to fox farms in it already. I’ve been adding PowerSi and mr fulvic. I bet that stuff is great. I might honestly give that a try until my i can get this living soil worked out. I’m just about out of ff nutes.

Brad104
      Participant

I’ve just recently switched over to a advanced nutrients sensi grow A and B also sensi bloom And B with big bud ,bud candy and overdrive @ the end.Its a good lineup and the pH perfect has worked for me it’s always 6 so I was extremely happy with that, but I am almost positive it’s to do with your city water is PhD @ ours runs high so I don’t know if it would even out with a low PhD water before adding it. But when I posted the other post what is your favorite nutrients.@cannabliss said he used there conisuar line and the expert level nutes and they worked well but wasn’t easy on the pockets.I have also used ionic nutrients for years and had great success with it and I still use clonex cloning gel.

I’ve also placed searches in the search bar and get no results to find out there’s a post already so I believe you have to type in exactly what the post title is to get the proper response.I believe like @cannabliss said we need to start placing  tags words in our post like ify post would have had nutrients tagged then you would have maybe seen it.Im just trying to figure it out for us too guys and gals

Thanks

Crystal Anderson
      Participant

New millennium nutrients line up

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

Seems somewhat complex, is there benefits to their 3? 4?stage-2part system?   I didn’t look up all the bottle labels and MSDS yet.  What makes New Millennium your go-to?   Also please provide medium and light source.  I should’ve probably asked about water too, hard/soft/RO?

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Gone with Botanicare Since the Start. They Have Basic Veg and Bloom fertilizers as well as the Calmags and Sillica and Sweeteners. Was Thinking after Im low on everything, Id like to Try Nectar for the Gods.

Somatek
        Participant

I don’t know how I missed this before, PBP is a great fertilizer and very easy to use.  It does tend to give bud a pretty distinct sweet terp profile though, I’ll be curious to hear how you think it compares if you try Nectar of the Gods.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Where do I start?  Well to answer the topic.. Advanced nutrients is my all time favorite just because of it’s ease. Price tag is a little much with all their bottles.

Fox farm is cool.. but I don’t like to keep running out of the Big Bloom, but I think it’s great stuff if introduced to the plants diet gently.

Atom
      Participant

Has anyone used dual fuel? I like my current line but have always been interested in them. It’s a much simpler regimen that my current technaflora, but I’m very reluctant to change. I like my results, but often wonder how this dual fuel would compare.

Somatek
        Participant

A friend is a big fan of green planet nutes/dual fuel, worked well in the old hydrofarm system I traded to him.  Although he uses some of their other products as well, not sure which exactly though.

Nate
        Participant

I just switched to dual fuel for this run from green planet’s other line medi one. Seems to be pretty good so far, haven’t had any issues. Seems pretty ph stable in the reservoir, and I haven’t had any issues mixing it with silica or calmag. The feed chart is also super straightforward.

Atom
        Participant

I like that it’s 2 part, although I’m sure you add stuff. But even more I like the low numbers. I see some nutes with numbers in the 30s, even seen 50s! Holy hell! I’ve seen people get just massive buds using heavy dose nutes but that’s all they are, they always taste like shit. I can tell when someone uses mericle gro by the taste, it’s similar to how soil smells when you first open the bag. Just strait dirt taste, and some people might like that.

I see these guys spend as little as possible on there crop then drop 1000$ on there bike like it’s nothing. It blows mind they can spend big on something they can ride 4 or 5 months a year, but on there medicine that use every single day they invest nothing. Then wonder why my bud is world’s better. These guys have been growing longer than I have been alive, but stubborn and stuck in there ways. I’m slowly chipping away at them though lol

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve tasted some pretty tasty weed from cheap nutes, using the right organic amendments can make all the difference while keeping the cost low and the bud big.  I personally avoid the cheap fertiilzers as they often have high heavy metal content, which is fine when you’re growing flowers to look at but an issue when you plan to smoke them.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah the feed chart is super straight forward. The stage I’m at now it’s 1 ml per litre of dual fuel 1&2 , and then 2 ml per litre of vitathrive. Makes the math super easy.

This is the feed chart I’m following (it’s their autopot specific line, so there’s no massive bloom):

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am using a german “all in one” living soil product. The name is Florian’s Living Organics, FLO for short. I have the best results in my life, but I didn’t test to much. Already tested Hesi in the first grow and couple times BioBizz.

Racky
      Participant

Fox Farm so far is my favorite. I just start with low dose and work my way up. Ive tried advanced nutrients but better outcome with Fox Farm!!!

Brad104
      Participant

Advanced nutrients sensi grow and sensi bloom a and b are my base nutrients, well it’s easier to say just pick up any advanced nutrients lineup , whether it’s the hobbyist pack or the professional pack you are going to get your money’s worth! I have to give it up to big mike,he made a great line . The pH perfect has worked like a charm for me,I checked and checked every time I mix a new batch up, and it’s always a 6 I’m not saying it’s going to work with everyone tap water, but it does great with mine

Keith
        Participant

I want to try something new but I have prob 2 more heroes left with ff. Except I have to get a new bottle of big bloom bc you use 3x more of that than any other nutrient.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m using FF also, you feeding at full dosage? I read a lot on half dose because of it’s high PPM but I had issues at half dose and actually ended up giving them more then recommended. Giving recommended dosage on FF schedule but moved to a feed, feed, water schedule.

Keith
        Participant

I started at half bc I had heard the same thing.  And also thought they needed more.  I’ve fed at full strength for 2 grow now and haven’t had any issues.  When I grew these autos I fed them almost full strength but half as often and they had issues.  People told me they liked hungry.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

any of you guys that use AN line, have you thought about MBFerts Secret Sauce?

ingredients: Naturally derived Auxins, Kelp (Ascophyllan Nodosum) & Tangle (Lamnaria a Japonica), Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa Extract), Fulvic Acid, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, and B12 Vitamins

they claim to be a replacement for like 4 bottles of goo, for cheap.

Brad104
      Participant

It sounds like it would be alright @neuroticturtle I am seriously thinking about getting a good organic recipe and try feeding one or two side by side a nutrient grow.Im also wondering has anyone else ever tried the Humboldt secret nutes I’ve thought about trying them,so many good ones to pick from.I am going to just stay with big mike, and advanced nutrients sensi grow and sensi bloom it’s definitely been pH perfect for me!

Brad104
      Participant

Has anyone tried the Humboldt secret nutes I’ve been checking them out?

Treetrunk422
      Participant

I really like Jacks 321 it’s super cheap in the 25lb bags and I’ve been having good results with it for a few years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close