Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Best led lights quantum board or bar style

5 voices
18 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

I’m still not sure which is best for me I own one of each and I am undecided.Can someone please help me make up my mind on the best of the two.

Somatek
      Participant

What’s your dilemma? Bar style are the newer evolution as they achieve better light distribution over the canopy, while quantum boards are a slightly older design with roots in the DiY community which make them a good low cost alternative for people wanting to switch over.

After 20 years of using HID’s (mixed mh and HPS), I’ve started switching to LED’s now that the tech has leveled off with the kinks worked out.  I started with quantum boards as they’re affordable and will easily cover my small veg area but will be saving up for a bar style to add to the flower room as supplemental lighting.

What are your priorities and which match them better?

Brad104
      Participant

I thank you for your timely response and appreciate your honest information.Ive to been using my/hid when the ballast used to way a hundred pounds back in the day.I suppose that a good quantum board style would be my choice at first do to there cheaper cost ,then after I get the hang of using the leds over HPS.Then I will move to a better bared light then.

Thank you @somatek

Somatek
      Participant

Always a pleasure, I come from a very “opinionated” family so I’m happy to share my point of view.  Your comment reminded me of one of my favourite sayings “always follow the trailing edge of technology, not the bleeding edge”.  I heard that back when I was really into photography and buying lots of gear when generation to generation there wasn’t much difference in quality but a lot of people would buy the newest gear just to flex.  Which meant you could always get great, barely used 2nd hand bodies for a fraction of the cost which leaves more money for buying lenses and other equally important gear that doesn’t change much as the tech is stable.

Now to make that rambling story relevant to the post lol…  I’d make exactly the same choice, start with a quantum board and save spend the saving investing in a good pH meter, data loggers and whatever other gear you need to accurately measure and record everything in your grow chamber.  That’ll have a bigger benefit then having the best light with the “perfect” spectrum but little other data about the grow.  Plants will only ever grow as much as the biggest limiting factor allows them to, building a grow room is all about creating balance within your climate and understanding how to meet the plants needs.  LED tech is a lot more stable then it use to be but even if it was perfect the key issue at this point is that we don’t understand how spectrum affects dope growing as we’re just starting to study it.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all if in the future we see manufacturers offering LED’s with heavy blue spectrums for growers who want those deep purple buds as they are likely directly linked.

Brad104
      Participant

Here’s a picture of my struggle at the moment,I only have 180 watts from the wall@ 100%.Im very close to being able to afford the SF 4000 I want it hanging over theese ladies so badlyDo you@somayek think I will have enough power with the SF 4000 @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

I don’t have personal experience as I just started using a 450w QB panel myself but it’s commonly recommended for a 4×4 tent.  I’m only running mine at 50% so far and the plants seem perfectly happy, other then the CBD Rene seedlings that I stressed with too much light.  How big is your space and end goal for flowering canopy size?

Atom
        Participant

In the space you show in that picture I’d go for bar style Brad. I have a sf4000 in 5×5 and wish I had bar style. When I bought my they only had the quantum boards or I would of opted for bar. Someday I’ll get that se7000 beast and move other light into veg

Brad104
        Participant

My space is 4×4 and I would like to get a little more than a square meter canopy, I’m trying to get this space in shape in the next two weeks.i think I can get them ready to start Lst on them I’m waiting for my soft tie wire it’s going to be here Wednesday.Unfortunately I live in a one horse town and I have to order most everything I need off the internet.I so wish a hydro shop was closer than the 3.5 hours that the closest one is you know.As always I thank you for any and all advice @somatek

Brad104
        Participant

My dream for it @atom is the se 5000 I know that would be perfect in it dude.I like that se 7000 to though and for the little difference in money between the two I just may opt for the best.That se 7000 is a monster of a light Only problem is my budget 🤣 😅 🤣 😅

Crystal Anderson
      Participant

Quantum board style suits me for veg and bar style has more versatility in flower. There are pros to each but that is my experience here 🙂

Keith
      Participant

I’d love to eventually have a bar style light but have only ever used boards.  Good info on this thread though.

Brad104
        Participant

I appreciate your input and thank you.Thats what I was wandering if one’s any more better than the other so thanks again@ crystal Anderson

As always thanks bro for your input as well 🙂 @keith Thanks I always love to see good feedback and information on my posts.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
        Somatek
        Participant

Bar style are definitely better if you can afford them which is where you have to consider your needs and which is the best fit.  If it was between having a bar light but worse climate controls, inadequate ventilation, no pH/EC meter (if using ferts) then I’d seriously think about QB to start and invest the difference in other gear that’ll help create a more balanced enviro.  The best light is worthless in the wrong environment, then again skimping on a light can cost more in the long run as they are the pivotal limiting factor in growing indoors.

Brad104
        Participant

Thanks you @crystalanderson I appreciate your feedback on my post but can you please let me know the pros and cons of each

Thanks again your responses are most appreciated!

Brad104
      Participant

As always @somatek I definitely value and appreciate your point of view,so thanks again buddy.The dilima I’m in now is should I buy the sf4000 or the bar style phlizon FD 6500 I can get either I’ve already got hygrometers, but I do have to be getting a pH pen 🖊️ I bought one for 15 dollars and I got exactly what I pd for.Ive been looking at the blue lab instruments and I am liking what I see besides the price tag ha ha do you have any suggestions for a pH pen and can you give me your opinion on the FD 6500 if you have any knowledge on them or a different brand besides Blu lab for my pH meter?

Thanks as always bro @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

I’d get a pen with a replaceable probe as those are always the first thing to go, I use an oakton ph testr 30 but I’d equally consider the Apera PH60 as an equally viable option.

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for letting me know about these models for I will purchase one or the other

Somatek
        Participant

As always, do your own research and don’t just take my word for it as I have my own biases.  Reading a range of reviews is usually the best way to match the best equipment to your needs

Brad104
      Participant

You are so correct 💯 about that statement.Ive been checking on the reviews for everything I buy now for the last 6 months and I know how much it has helped me with my purchases so thank you again.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close