Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Best Option for Humidifier for a 3×3

last updated by Keith 1 year, 5 months ago
4 voices
34 replies
  • Author
      Nate
      Participant

So I recently up potted to my Autopot pots, and I don’t have room for my humidifier in my tent any more. Is there any way to set up my humidifier without having to raise the humidity of my entire basement? I’m only looking to raise my RH% from 50% to 60%, but I’ll likely have to raise it a bit more as we go into winter. Should I just set it near the intake vents for my tent and hope for the best? Would having it blow directly into some ducting work? I’d probably need to push it into the ducting with a fan if I did that right? Let me know if you guys have any good solutions for this.

Atom
      Participant

The way I set mine up is put it outside tents, in middle of room. Then I have a 6″ ac infinity booster fan pulling air into tents. I too need a bettehumidifiers, mine has a hard time keeping up. If I forget to fill it in the winter, it’s hard to get the 5 or 10% back I got. There’s a few different models I’ve been looking at. Anything you been eyeing?

Atom
      Participant

I like this modle.

Nate
      Participant

Damn, that a pretty intense humidifier. It’s a little out of my price range at the moment though.

This one is is my Amazon wishlist. I think I put it there because I saw it had a RH% setting, and it’s controllable from an app. I haven’t really looked into it past that though. The one I have now can’t be set to a percentage, and it can’t be controlled by a humidistat because it doesn’t come back on if the power is cut.

My main issue is that at least for now, I only have a passive intake, so I think I would end up making the rest of my basement super moist.

Atom
        Participant

I can certainly understand the power outage thing. We lost power probably 5 times a year on average. One year was really bad storm in March. Was out for 6 days. It did come on for about 8 hours then out again. After that I bought a generator. We use a gas stove so we could heat some, but still sucked. Shit even my last run got a bit fd up because of power issues. Someday I’ll have a generac.

You should consider a booster fan intake. I use the ac infinity ones there great. About 35$ for a 6″, has 3 speed controller. For just a duct fan basically its quite powerful. It will Ballon up your tent no problem.

Nate
        Participant

I didn’t realize that they could be that cheap. Is that the raxial s6 you have?

As far as the power outage thing, I definitely feel you there. We lost power for two days from hurricane Fiona literally the week I popped my seeds. So I ended up stressing them out pretty good.

In the context of the humidifier though, I was more talking about the fact that I can’t have a separate controller like this one. When it restores power to the unit when the humidity drops below the set range, the one I have powers back up, but doesn’t resume running. I don’t have that controller currently, but I had tried to have my humidifier on a timer, and even that didn’t work.

Atom
        Participant

Yep that’s the one i use. I have one in each veg and bloom. And an s4 in 2×4. Each has a corresponding cloudline 6 and 4. I like them alot, easy to take apart and clean, and pretty quiet.

I get you on the humidity thing, I personally don’t have anything like that and my humidity swings sometimes but within an acceptable range. I’ve yet to have mold issues with power outages but in the summer it’s much easier for them to get power back up so it’s not normal off more than a day. Winter it isn’t as much of problem because humidity is naturally low

Nate
        Participant

Right on, that’s definitely more affordable than getting an extraction fan as an intake fan, which is what I was assuming people meant when taking about fans for the intake. I’ll have to add that to the list of things I need to upgrade lol. As far as controlling humidity, I lucked out this spring finding a great deal on Kijiji for a dehumidifier. I went to buy a smaller (probably around 10 or 15 pint) dehu from an older fellow on Kijiji, and when I got there it turned out he had that one as well as a 30 pint Frigidaire one. He had the small one listed for $30, and he offered to sell them both to me for $25. So I got a pretty decent sized dehumidifier (I was able to run it in the summer to bring the RH% of my entire basement down from 70%-80% to about 40%-50%). I also have it set up to run through a garden hose into a floor drain so I don’t have to worry about it shutting off because it’s full. I definitely recommend doing that if you’re able to.

Keith
        Participant

Man they were redoing the poles in my town this summer.  My powers been out like 7 or 8 times.  Usually for a few hours.  Once it was all day.  I’m freaking out at work unable to do anything, just trying not to think about it.  Watching my phone for the text saying it’s been turned back on.  It was horrible.

Why do want the tent to balloon? I have heard people talk about adding an intake fan that runs with the main exhaust.  But I thought they were trying to create reverse pressure and it was bc it’s let’s less smell escape.  I never could find any solid info as to the benefits of ballooning it up or sucking it in.  I’d appreciate any info.

Nate
        Participant

I forget which thread it was, but @somatek was explaining the benefits of positive pressure somewhere else on here. If I’m remembering correctly, it was something along the lines of it being better to expel mold spores before they can innoculate your plants. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Nate
        Participant

Here’s the one. Hopefully the link will work properly and take you to the actual comment, and not just the top of the thread.

Keith
      Participant

I only read the first post so far but if I was in this situation and I really needed the extra humidity, like I couldn’t go without it and couldn’t fit a humidifier in a tent I would prob first dump water into my run off tray and see how much higher that gets the rh.  I’ve been able to raise my tent 5-10% just by filling up the run off tray in the mornings.  I’m not sure I’d try putting it near a vent.  I mean I’d prob try it but I’d be worried about mold or mildew collecting in the ductwork.  I’ll have to read through this all later.  I love problems like these.

Nate
        Participant

The problem with putting water in the runoff tray is that the pots will wick the water up, which I don’t want (until I turn on the autopots anyways). I could set a separate tray in there, but I’ve never had a whole lot of success with it raising it enough. I’m not too far out of range, it’s sitting around mid to high fifties, and I want it to be around mid sixties. Not a huge deal, just trying to keep it to a VPD closer to 1.0 kPa (It’s at an average of 1.2 kPa, with a max of 1.3 kPa).I might just run the humidifier next to the side of the tent where my intake is and see if that’s enough.

Keith
      Participant

I think it worked for me bc my run off tray is almost as big as my tent. So it’s more or less filling the whole bottom of my tent with water.  Also my pots are on risers.  Can you hang your dehu? In the tent I mean.

Nate
        Participant

No I won’t be able to hang it because the base isn’t attached to the reservoir. It just sits in the base so that you can pick it up and fill it.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

Have you seen the NEW AC Infinity humidifier? apparently they’re available for preorder now, and work with the Controller 69 [nice].

https://acinfinity.com/humidifiers/

I just saw the ad for these this morning!

Nate
        Participant

Yeah I literally just saw them on Instagram. They’re having a giveaway right now too actually.

Atom
        Participant

Wow I haven’t but thank you for posting this. AC infinity are top of the line products.

Keith
      Participant

Man I guess I prob just would put it in front of your intake.  Just watch for mold to develop.  I’ve still not really ever had to use a humidifier.  I might though this winter though.   This is my first winter growing.  I’m in an insulated building but it’s got no heating or cooling except the window units I put in.  The weather here varies quite a bit in winter.  There a lot of stuff I just don’t how it’s going to work.  With the temps and rh I mean.  I’ve been talking with people and getting good ideas though.  Let us know what you figure out about the humidifier.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah, I mean, I don’t absolutely need to run a humidifier, I’m just being picky and trying to optimize my environment. It’s not too far off from where I want it, I was more so just wondering if anyone had any novel ideas.

Keith
        Participant

I def understand that.  I try to be as diligent as I can about maintaining proper vpd.  I’ve spent way more money getting started than I expected to get vpd right.  It’s actually been pretty cool coming up with ideas.  I’ve tried a few things that didn’t work.  But it’s an awesome feeling to have conquered a challenge.  I honestly loved it every minute of it.  I’ve been on these forums or reading stuff online about growing damn near every night since I started growing earlier this year.  I never had anything to do on my phone before.  My wife would sit there in her phone while we’d watch TV at night and I’d be like “what could possibly have to entertain you that long on your phone? “.  But now after the kids in bed and as much as I can get away with while he’s still awake, I’m on my phone reading something about growing pot.  There’s so fucking much to learn.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah dude, I’m in a similar boat. I started growing a year and a half ago (aside from a couple shitty grows like 10 years ago), and I just can’t stop trying to learn as much as I can.

Atom
        Participant

You’ll never stop, it gets in your blood. This is my 7th year growing with a medical card and I never stop learning and trying new techniques and whatnot. There’s always someone pushing the limits of what these plants can do and take. One of the leaders in plant advancement is Kyle kushman. If you haven’t heard of him check some of his videos on YouTube. He is the modern Jorge Cervantes IMO

Nate
        Participant

Right on. I’ll have to check him out. It’s definitely a never ending rabbit hole that borders on obsession lol. Especially now that there’s real studies coming out to prove or disprove the bro science.

Atom
        Participant

O I’m definitely obsessed. People get kinda annoyed because it’s mostly all I Wana talk about. I think they feel I’m bragging but I’m really just excited about it like a little kid.

Nate
        Participant

Same haha. My wife doesn’t even smoke weed, so she couldn’t care less. My work partner told me he was growing this summer, so I tried to ask him what his plan for nutrients was, and he said miracle grow. So then I asked him what he planned on doing once they flipped to flower and he said more lol… Which is a perfectly fine way to do it if you don’t care about the specifics at all I guess. We definitely aren’t on the same wavelength as far as interest into the fine details of it though lol.

Keith
        Participant

The fine details are the best part

Nate
        Participant

100% agree.

Atom
        Participant

Some people don’t care much they just want something to smoke, in fact I’d say most people don’t care. If it looks good they think it’s good. There’s always gana be bucsh beer drinkers and there gana be micro brew drinkers.

My wife smokes but isn’t really interested in growing. She likes good smoke just don’t care how it gets there much.

Nate
        Participant

Oh for sure. He’s just one of those over confident type people. He helped out with a small to mid size BM grow years and years ago, and thought he knew everything about it. But to each their own, not everyone is gonna be passionate about the process.

Keith
        Participant

I learned how to do lst and support crop from him.  Man I hope I’m one of those guys someday.

Atom
        Participant

Check out kushman chiropractic. Basically the new super crop, pretty interesting. I’ve started messing with it, I’m about to pop my veg room actually.

Keith
        Participant

That was the first video I saw by him.  My wife waked into the room while I was watching it and she looked at him and said “what else could that guy do but grow pot for a living”.  I’ve literally watched that super cropping videos like 5 times.  I did it on my first plant, but since I’ve started using PowerSi I can’t pop the stems anymore.  They’re too fucking hard.  I remember being so scared to do it the first time. Hence, I watched the video so much, trying not to fuck something up.  He’s got articles on Growweedeasy.com too I believe.   I think that’s where I found him originally.

Atom
        Participant

I was scared a bit too. I did one plant and after a few days it looked good still I did everybody. The one strain I grow is super lanky, even with silica and this technique it is still weak. It’s probably not a great choice to grow but the smoke is worth all the hassle. I’ve smoked alot of different strains, from shops and from growers. There something special about it, atleast for us. It’s that perfect blend of taste, smell and effects. Everyone is different though someone might not like it at all.

Keith
        Participant

That’s awesome, what is it?  That’s super cool your wife smokes with you.  My wife used to but she quit when she was pregnant then got a job as a school teacher and never started back up.  I miss smoking with her.

I did my plant the same way.  One small pop to see how it would handle it, then did the rest.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close