Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Building a light stand

3 voices
11 replies
  • Author
      Somatek
      Participant

Today’s project is building something to hang my 450w QB off of as my lease specifies tenants are to attach anything to the ceiling.  So I collected some scrap wood, cuts offs from my friend ripping 2×4’s into 2×2’s as the price of wood is crazy.  So I had a bunch of thing strip about 1/2″ thick and 1.5″ wide, not nearly enough to support weight but my buddy suggested laminating them together with finger joints at the ends to lock them together and make them strong.  I got the wood prepped and cut to size yesterday, today is gluing and tacking them together with a Brad nailer.

The top went together quick but now I’m out of glue, so I’ve got to pop out quickly and hopefully will get the two sides, the feet and cross pieces glued before I have to head off as it’d be nice to get that light hanging over the plants finishing flowering to see if I can coax some extra weight out.

Brad104
      Participant

I hope that new phlizon 450 does an excellent job for your flowering flowers, and my friend, from the looks of your project your work is the same as your explanations to help individuals on this forum and that’s great,it’s going to look professional from the looks of your project!

Best of luck always @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

We’ll see if I have time to actually finish it nicely as that’d require a decent bit of work to clean the edges up since the wood was warped to various degrees.  That’ll be tomorrow mornings job, I grabbed a THC/CBN lemonade to try after the shift, the boss also gave me Blue Dream pre-roll to try out.  So I think it’s time for a shower, pot of stew and possible bed so I can get up nice and early to water the girls.

Brad104
      Participant

Enjoy your self friend, and best of luck which you don’t need on your carpentry and your grow.You are a beast @somatek take care and enjoy that warm stew sounds excellent 👌

Somatek
        Participant

Thank you kindly sir, I’m a decent rough carpenter but I’m far from being a competent cabinet maker.  My step father is though, I look forward to having his skill level at growing pot someday.  Truly brilliant, he figured out how to turn a bent back salamander chair from a single, continuous piece of wood on a lathe by thinking it through which is next level abstract thinking.

The stew is pretty tasty, how can it not be with bacon in it lol.

Keith
      Participant

QB is quantum board right?  This looks good.  Can’t wait to see it as it progresses and what it looks like finished.

Somatek
      Participant

That’s it exactly, I talk too much to type the same things out endlessly so I use a lot of slang/abbreviations like a lot of growers.  Sorry if it’s confusing for people.

Brad104
      Participant

I’ve not had any problems with the abreviations it’s some of the technical stuff in the spectrum talks and PPF and such which has stumped me but hey we got a good one to ask questions about helping so thanks again @somatek for everything

Somatek
        Participant

You know you’re always welcome to ask for more clarification or as many questions as you need.

Somatek
      Participant

I only grabbed a couple pics yesterday as I was rushing to get as much done and somehow managed to bang it all out.  This was one of the feet, I just have to cut the cross piece to fit snuggly and it should theoretically be stable but we’ll see how good my design is…

The two uprights for the sides, I tested each of them as well as the uprights by putting all my weight onto them so I don’t imaging they’ll have any problem with a light.

A couple quick jobs (once it’s after 8 or 9 as I’m not a complete asshole to my neighbours using power tools before that) and I should have it set up before the lights go off at 11.  First I have to re-arrange the flower room and drink coffee though…

Somatek
      Participant

So much for today’s plans, the chisel slipped and cut a 3″ gash in my hand that was gushing blood so I’m waiting at our highly over run hospital for stiches…

Somatek
      Participant

Five hours and 13-15 stiches two layers deep and I’m good as new, other then the throbbing pain despite heavy THC use since finishing the 2nd training shift.  God bud truly is divine when you’re in pain and need relief.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close