Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Clones or seeds

last updated by Nate 1 year, 6 months ago
9 voices
16 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

I mostly do clones but I did just pop a few purple ghost candy and fuel dog beans from ilgm.

I am just wondering which do my fellow cultivators prefer, myself it’s clones I don’t know why probably cause we’ve just used them forever seed accumulation is much better now a days though ha ha

Stanley Li
      Participant

clones should be picked of a specific batch aka pheno hunting. you grow multiple seeds of the same strain and pick the pheno you want and take clones, then you make it a mother plant and keep cloning that to keep getting the same pheno/bud. seeds will just grow, but if u grow multiple seeds of that strain, they are going to be a little different to each seed. thats what i think at least

NoWorryLeaf
      Participant

I have done both. Seeds you need a little bit more of patience and then was gifted clones. Clones are great if you are chasing tested genetics I would say. I would love to start a clone nursery in my next life 🙂

Racky
      Participant

Id rather have seeds but had good luck this summer with clones.

Racky
      Participant

Racky
      Participant

Cannabliss
      Participant

I love popping a pack of seeds, but I also love being able to start plants as teens in their final pots. I’m pretty torn lol

Brad104
      Participant

Yes it looks like you faired very well with your clones @racky good stuff bro

Somatek
      Participant

Both have their pro’s and cons, I wouldn’t limit myself by thinking in a binary of better/worse.

Seeds are easy, you don’t have to worry about pathogens nearly as much, grows are easier to sterilize between crops and you have the joy of discovering new varieties.  That all comes at the cost of inconsistency with a range in expressions and quality, some with a lot more variety then others and increased cost when you look at the money spent and time invested having to grow them longer until they reach sexual maturity.

Clones are consistent, help you learn how to grow better by removing the variables like whether they like heavy or light feedings/high or low VPD/what light intensity and photoperiod is optimal, etc.  More then anything clones allow us to  save those truly special plants people find, the so called “elite cuts” which really come down to either being found by dump luck or more likely being found after having grown hundreds of seeds until you eventually find that magical plant.

Which is why I always keep a half dozen moms I know and love, that meet my core needs and hit all the flavours I want while also constantly growing seeds/making my own to look for new, unique and interesting plants to share with the community.

Brad104
      Participant

It’s awesome to hear from everyone of you guys.I do appreciate and love to hear things, that before I knew nothing about or something’s that I have never even heard of. It’s just great to be here at the start of the best community out of all the marijuana community pages.Spider farmer just like your equipment, you all have knocked it out of the park with this forum!    Thank you kindly!

Atom
      Participant

I always clone unless starting a new strain. I never keep a mother, just clone before I put in flower. I have heard seed plants are stronger and can grow larger by 20%. It’s just easier for me to keep everything on schedule this way. I usually cut more than I need, pick the best and give away the rest

Keith
        Participant

I honestly didn’t know it was that easy to clone.  I don’t know much about it but I thought you had to have a designated mother plant and I always thought I wouldn’t want to keep smoking the same pot over and over so I never looked into it.

Brad104
      Participant

Adam marsh I do the same thing no mother plants here either, we’ve always just took good cuttings from the crop before they go under bud or before they been under 2 weeks.But yes I do what you said you do too Mr marsh clonex is great.I still even do cuttings the old school way when I need more plants and my aero cloner machine is already at capacity.I just put my cuttings in an inch and a half cube place cube under light at no more than 40%  and keep cube on heat mat under the light and I will foliar spray a nutrients at around 20%Strength I took a hundred and 15 cuttings and ended up with 107 rooted plants.Just glad to hear that someone else is doing their cuttings the way I am. Thanks for the talk

Atom
        Participant

I too use cubes for cloning. Works best the space I have

Keith
      Participant

I don’t have that option where I live.

Keith
      Participant

If I had to choose I’d prob still go with seeds bc I like the experience of watching them sprout.  Then sprout again from the soil.  But I’ve never grown a clone, so it’s hard to say.

Nate
      Participant

If I had a separate veg tent, or the option to have a mother on hand, I’d definitely grow from clone unless I wanted to try a new strain. But I’ve just been popping seeds that I have on hand mostly. Some bag seed, and a couple seeds given to me by friends/family. I definitely like the consistency of clones, and the fact that you know they’ll be female. Eventually I’d like to have a veg/propagation tent, and then a flower tent as well, so I can do a perpetual harvest.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close