Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Favorite Pots for Growing?

5 voices
13 replies
  • Author
      Nate
      Participant

Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on what your favorite types of pots to grow your plants in? Do you use plastic pots? Fabric pots? Air pots? Something different?

Until this run I had been sold on growing in fabric pots. I liked how easily they drained, and the fact that they wouldn’t get root bound in them. I only switched to plastic pots to be able to use the autopot watering system.

Anyways, let’s hear your thoughts on different pot types and sizes too.

Keith
      Participant

I didn’t realize what air pruning in fabric pots meant until you just said how they won’t let the plant get root bound.  I thought about the difference in what the roots looked like after harvest vs when I’ve transplanted from a plastic container.  The roots were all bound up in the bottom and I had to loosen them before planting.  But with the fabric pots the roots were never bound up around the outsides like that.  I didn’t really put it together until you said that.

All I’ve ever used were fabric.  Auto pots seem pretty cool, I like the aerator thing in the bottom, it seems like a good idea.  But I don’t know much about them yet.  I’ve not seriously looked into them, just kinda have them a quick look.  I like the idea a lot though.  Hopefully this thread catches traction, I’d love to read through all the different options.

Brad104
      Participant

I love the new fabric pots myself but I still use some plastic on occasion

Somatek
      Participant

I used fabric pots for awhile but I hate transplanting out of them or cleaning the soil out afterwards so went back to basic square nursery pots.  Although for SIP planters with organic soil I prefer fabric for increased aeration, root pruning and I don’t have to dump them; just let sit fallow so the worms can do their thing and then reuse.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah, transplanting out of them is a huge pain. You have to worm them off if you want to keep them.

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve thought about ripping one of the seems down the side open and butting buttons or snaps along it to try to make them more usable as far as transplanting goes.  One more project on the endless list…

Nate
        Participant

What about velcro? You could sew it into the seam. Or if you wanted to get really extravagant, you could sew a zipper in there lol.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

I just started using an off brand air pot, seems to work pretty good.  My two GDP x BW in them just took off once transplanted in.

Brad104
        Participant

That’s a nice pot there for certain @neurotic turtle how many gallons is it?

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

its properly a 25 liter pot, so uh… 5.5 imperial gallons, 6.6 US liquid gallons, 0.71 US bushel roughly. not sure which measure you wanted.

Somatek
        Participant

Metric for the win as 25 is a more sensible number then 5.5 or 6.6, working in the trades I can’t figure out why the imperial system is still the standard….

Nate
        Participant

What kills me is at work we use a combination of metric and imperial. Like we measure the length and width of our slabs in inches, and then we go and measure our thickness in cm. And then we have suppliers sending us shipments using one or the other, or a combination of the two… Like just pick one lol.

Somatek
        Participant

That sounds truly hellish and the mad scheme of a true sadist (but not the fun kind of sadist)…

Brad104
      Participant

I’ll take us gallons for the win Alex trebec ,cause I don’t know the new hosts name ha ha 😅🤣😅

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close