Home Forums Grow Journal Grape Pupil from MMS

last updated by Atom 1 year, 4 months ago
4 voices
74 replies
  • Author
      Atom
      Participant

Next run going to be colorful, going 8 grape pupil (purple cut) in 5 gallon fabric pots. Grown under SF4000. These girls take 9-10 weeks and turn a beautiful purple color starting about day 10. Stay tuned will update progress weekly.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Somatek
      Participant

I know MMS catches a lot of flack, seems mostly from people who haven’t grown his gear, but I’ve never had a problem with them and have always found interesting plants.  I really need to grab a pack or two of Star Pupil at some point to see what his base genetics are considering everything is a cross of that or it’s offspring (like Putang).  I’ve got a couple Pupil Magoo’s that’ll go to flower soon, I think I have around 15-20 left if there’s anything interesting in them.

Atom
        Participant

I remember reading something about a stolen strain, or not giving credit for it something like that. I was always interested in purple buds and landed on them. It’s a very tasty smoke, best way i can is a pleasant musk with a bit of floral almost opium flavor. Just not super strong, a nice daytime smoke for sure. The color is definitely out of this world, everyone is always impressed with the purple.

Somatek
        Participant

Pretty much, it’s happened a couple times and he definitely lays the marketing on heavily with the “natural” growing spiel but when it comes down to it Star Pupil has some interesting genes in it with unique flavours.   Katsu Pupil and Bubba Pupil were both pretty heavy smoke, between gas and grape flavours mostly in the different pheno’s.  I’ve got a feeling Star Pupil is like Blueberry were you need to grow a good number of seeds to find one that’s strong on top of being tasty.

Atom
        Participant

He does have a sorta way with words when describing his strains. Idk if I would try them again if I were to buy seeds. I’ll be looking for something a bit stronger.

Somatek
        Participant

There’s lots of interesting companies out there, no reason to be a fan boy of any particular one.  I’d suggest looking at Katsu Seeds if you want knock you on your ass weed.

Atom
        Participant

I Wana get something strong, and also good for washing and hopefully outdoor. Might be a tall order but going to try.

Somatek
        Participant

Yep, that’d be a holy grail plant but searching for those special girls is half the battle.  Ironically Katsu Pupil might fit the bill, it was done early to mid sept for me last year, is strong sedative pot and should wash well as it’s caked in trichs although I’ve never washed it alone, just trim thrown into the mix.  The buds are very tight/dense and not ideal for outdoors but considering how early it’s finished there isn’t as many concerns about mold/bud rot.  I’ve thought about picking up some more seeds if I could find a pack but currently have two girls growing from seed I found in the Katsu Pupil outdoor last year.  I’ll see what they’re like before deciding, I don’t expect much from a random pollination but who knows what they’ll produce

Atom
        Participant

Mid September would be perfect. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, I’m pretty picky about my flavors though. How’s it taste?

Somatek
        Participant

Most of the pheno’s from the Bubba or Katsu Pupil had a flavour between the classic gassy/musky kush profile or the fruity/grape Star Pupil flavours.  I found the same thing with Stellar Collision, there’s a distinct grape/fruity taste which I assume comes from the Star Pupil side (although my pot always ends up kind sweet because of the organic ferts) with a usually more dominant acrid/gas or astringent/model air plane glue smell from the Power Load.  Which is why I want to try Star Pupil itself to see if my assumption is correct, it’s a variety I could see myself breeding with if there’s dominant traits like the purple colour and a fruity/grape flavour that it consistently passes on.  Those are the good kinda parental material for making crosses and being able to guess how the seeds will turn out instead of purely rolling the dice.

Atom
        Participant

The pink version has that glue smell your talking about. Really bad when it’s curing, like jet fuel or something. It mellows out and is more citrus-minty but can still smell it slightly. Not a fan personally, is why I just kept purple version

Somatek
        Participant

I get excited when plants have that more sharp, astringent, chemical cleaner smell as I associate it with stimulating, long flowering, large open flowers I particularly enjoy.  I’ve never been a fan of the acrid, gas, kush flavours, those were usually the pheno’s I cut as I looked for fruity to astringent/cat piss buds.  It’s not nearly as popular though, most people don’t want to open a bag and smell amonia/cat piss/bleach but those are where I tend to find the more spicy, incense, hashy, floral flavours and the effects I’m looking for most of the day.

Brad104
        Participant

Hey bro @atom what is the size of the room/tent you have them 8 beautiful ladies in.

Somatek
        Participant

I’d assume 4×4 looking at the pic and judging by the light.  Now to see if my guess is right…

Atom
        Participant

It’s 5×5 with SF4000. On a side note, does anyone think Arnold schwarzenegger voice when they think SF4000 or any of the 1000s? I think spider farmer should team up with him for a promo video!

Atom
        Participant

Yeah I stuck 8 hopefully I didn’t f myself. I figured it be easier to control humidity because it’s closing in on winter. I just took a peak and they looking super happy to be under LED. I really need to get an led for veg side, but T5HO does ok job for now.

Somatek
        Participant

Close but I should have guessed you had a bigger tent to grow those big buds…

You really don’t need as much light in veg, although having a good spectrum definitely helps.

There’s always more things to buy then money usually, I’m excited to almost be done with this set up so I can focus on important things, like buying some new glass lol

Atom
        Participant

My thoughts are keep the spectrum closer with similar leds. Plus there’s reliability and never changing bulbs. It’s definitely an investment but for my situation it’s a wise one. Keep power bill low as possible

Somatek
        Participant

Yep, especially with QB the price point is pretty hard to argue with, which is why I’m finally switching out my 20 year old ballasts.  I think I’ll switch the 600w to two 315cmh for better light distribution and then see if I need the 450w QB on top of that.  For now I’ll just add the LED over the flowers in peak growth to make sure they get enough intensity and a full spectrum with UV/IR.  Building a stand to hold the LED may be this afternoons project as I don’t know if a hike is in the books after doing laundry as my backs not a happy camper.

Brad104
      Participant

I would venture to say that you are, my friend. @somatek  Just because you are super knowledgeable about a vass number of things .I know that my growing skills are going up because of you and several other of my friends on here.

Brad104
        Participant

I’ve got nothing but the upmost faith in you brother, You know what it is just continue to do what you do man,as always great job and can’t wait to see them next week bro

TTYL

Atom
        Participant

Hell yeah thanks! Stay tuned 😉

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve always loved the House of the Great Gardener motto “attention + intention = manifestation”.  There’s a very direct line between how much attention you pay, your intent as a grower (cash cropper vs personal grower for example) and the end product produced.  Once I stop neglecting my plants I’ll see the results in the grow, the longer I drag out setting it up by doing stupid things like chiseling my hand instead of the wood the more my plants/yields will suffer.  Even simply watering plants is going to be a challenge tonight without really using my left hand, although I’m getting better at typing while my left thumb is taped in an immobile position.

Area 415
      Participant

Those plants look amazing. Firt time seeing a strain from  MMS is but I do like how this  vegs under the sf4000.
      Not sure what coast your on but PCG on the west coast has some great line ups as well

Food for thought

Atom
        Participant

Hey thanks, this strain is really fun to grow. It has alot of good traits but at a trade off of strength. It’s a very hardy strain, grows super strong and don’t really need anything to hold buds up. Very thick stems. Everyone goes crazy over the look and smell. I had someone use a higrade to check the the thc content and it said only 14%. Idk how much I trust that but that’s basically what I was guessing the strength to be.

It’s certainly a good daytime smoke, the taste is really good too. Sorta floral-opium with very subtle grape after taste. I would say it’s a very good strain for beginners but not for someone looking for strong medicine or to make hash.

Atom
      Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Back for weekly updates. Girls looking nice, stretching up into net. I stripped them down pretty good yesterday morning and they recovered nicely. Nothing to exciting at this stage, next week will begin the purple transition. Stay stoned 🤘</p>

Attachments:
        Somatek
        Participant

How long ago did you flip?  That net looks almost perfectly filled out and I’m guessing the stretch is pretty much over or close to it?

Atom
        Participant

Only one week ago. But this strain does not stretch a whole lot. It should fill in a bit more. The nodes stay really tight and it makes these huge tower looking buds

Somatek
        Participant

It’s a pleasure watching someone who knows the varieties so well grow.  LED’s do make beautifully tight nodes, I’m noticing that in veg and wondering if I need to lower the PPFD a bit to get bigger plants instead of such dense ones…

Brad104
      Participant

Those are looking nicely @atom, I am going to be setting my net up this coming week and I shall need to pick your brain,bro I appreciate all of your sound advice my friend I will be hollering back at you later bro ok

Atom
        Participant

Pick away, more than willing to share any knowledge I have. First run with the net and this strain. Usually I’d just put 4 foot bamboo stakes, then tie each bud to the stake. It works decent, with the added bonus of being able to move plants out if tent, or rotate them. Once that nets up and plants in it your committed. I finally bought a shop vac and my life is much easier. No longer am I on my knees using turkey baster to get run off out

Somatek
        Participant

I’m too lazy to grow in saucers like the newer style of growing after a life of growing on tables and simply letting the run off drain into a bucket or back into the res.  Plus with my humidity already getting down to between 30-40 without the rads on I need as much evaporation as possible in this place.  Hence SIP planters, well, shortly once the capillary matting arrives although bottom watering is almost as lazy…

Atom
        Participant

The way I water and let the soil dry, I get alot that runs into the saucer then gets sucked back in. I do that until it no longer takes up water then suck out run off. I try to get it to run off close to the top of the saucer, about half a gallon or so. I’ve looked at drain away trays but there kinda $. About 15 bucks each so over 100$ on saucers? Idk if I’m willing to spend that much. I might try a few out, or set up the other tent with them. But tbh the shop vac method is working premo.

Somatek
        Participant

I have a bunch of 2×4 or 4×4 flood and drain tables set up with 1/2″-3/4″ straight drains that I’d typically grow on.  Although I’ve fallen in love with SIP systems which is why I’m getting away from the old ways and learning new tricks.

That’s a pretty clever way to make sure your pots are fully saturating each watering while also making sure any excess nutes are flushed out of the soil.  Thanks for elaborating.

Atom
        Participant

It’s a little more time consuming but works well for me. I water a bit, go off and work on something else and come back after 10 min or so.

Somatek
        Participant

If it fits your lifestyle while meeting the plants needs that’s all that matters and your girls are obviously healthy.

Atom
        Participant

Thanks brother. I give them lots of love and respect. This plant is an important part of my life and likely always be.

Somatek
        Participant

I’d bet that’s a pretty common sentiment on these boards, I definitely feel the same although my plants aren’t currently feeling the love while I get  my life in order

Brad104
        Participant

I definitely appreciate that as you well know and I’ll be posting a picture later tonight in the journal it’s going to be 6 days since the recharge and I want people to see the difference, for you and I know what a difference it makes.Thanks again bro I will holler back later

Brad104
      Participant

As you called me on earlier soma I am too busy worrying about things going on in my life and my girls has suffered for it.Im getting things in order now though as you will see my Ladys will be doing much better and so will I in the weeks coming ,also I think as always at atom does some awesome things and of course as we have saw you at soma thank both of you for your continued help.

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve only posted pics of sad girls in need of some attention, hopefully after this weekend I’ll have the flower room finished off (assuming I don’t make any dumb ass mistakes and hurt myself again lol) and can focus on important things like growing and toking

Atom
      Participant

OK so I said weekly updates but I have to show these. This is a crazy amount of growth after only 4 days of stripping leaves and removing alot of lower branches that won’t produce much. When I started lolli popping I guess technically it would be called, I was super conservative. Then I did more and more until I got to where I am, stripping about half of the plant.

I contribute the extream growth in no small part to recharge. If you look back at the last pictures you can see for yourself, like i said that was 4 days ago.I cannot stress enough how awesome this stuff is. The plant is starting to throw off new branches almost as if it was topped. They are very happy and this should be another great run.

Attachments:
        Somatek
        Participant

Lollipopping makes sense and is back up by data showing that pot leaves become very inefficient below a certain PPFD level and become carbon neutral or carbon sinks using more energy then they produce.  I regularly strip the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of a plant before flipping to flower (which is also when I take clones to keep the moms for the next round).  I find it doesn’t really change the yield overall but it means you don’t have larfy lower buds to deal with and more weight in the prime tops.

How much defoliation do you do?  Would you mind describing how you choose which leaves to pull and which to leave?  I’ve never been sold on the idea personally but I find it interesting seeing peoples thinking behind it.

Regardless, whatever you’re doing the plants are healthy and loving it.  Is recharge the only microbial additive you’re using?

Atom
        Participant

Yeah so I basically do it for all the reasons you described, it makes for a bit less trimming in the end and a bit bigger buds. I also do it to keep humidity down and get better air flow up through the canopy.

I’ll start by picking thickest and/or best branches to clone. Then I start taking everything up to about 50%. No real ryme to this part, just up to where I think light won’t reach well. Then I take all the large leaves off with longest stems up to the top 3. I leave those to collect light everything else goes for airflow and light penetration. I do this right at flip and week 3 usually. Sometimes every week if they are growing real well.

Somatek
        Participant

By “all the large leafs with longest stems” I assume you’re talking about the oldest/biggest leaves that you strip but leave the younger fan leaves?

Brad104
        Participant

You actually skin half of the plant bro,or just the smaller bud sites I just recently took about a quarter of my girls the ones I harvest the peyote and I thought that was a lot I’ve never really been into the defoliation alot but I do see where it is maybe a good thing to do in certain situations right @atom I’m going to shoot you a picture tonight and show you how much my gals have grown out and I can get you to hit me off with a few places would be best to defoliate bro thanks ⚛️

Atom
        Participant

Yeah I strip it right down. I try to get it to where the bottom net I’d about where I stop at, then let it fill above net. It kinda sends the plant into over drive and forces growth to the upper canopy. The theory is there’s only some many nutrients to go around, or that the plant can physically absorb though the roots. So you concentrate them in the areas you will get the best growth/light

Atom
        Participant

Yeah, the sucker or shade leaves some call them. I’m always scared about mildew. I had a crop get it before and it was such a pain to wash it all in peroxide dunks.

Somatek
        Participant

Stripping the oldest leaves actually has some data supporting it as pot leaves show a distinct decline in photosynthesis as they age.  So theoretically pulling the oldest leaves to allow more light to hit younger ones should have a net carbon gain.  Although as soon as your stripping plants to the point soil is getting hit by light you’ve crossed the line and would be reducing sugar production as any photons hitting the ground aren’t being turned into sugar.

Then of course the airflow benefit like you said, some leaf pruning makes sense but the bro science can easily confuse people as the benefit doesn’t come from the buds getting more light, it’s all about maximising the photosynthesis rate which starts by having a full canopy.

Atom
        Participant

I agree, and I rarely remove anything after week 3 because it won’t have time to recover. I may remove one here or there, or damaged but never strip.

Like I said I basically just pushed it further and further and feel like this method is working great with the set up I have.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s how I ended up lollipopping plants as a general practice.  Learning how much to cut back varieties to clear the bottom so that they’d fill the canopy after the stretch.  Although I just realised you do it 3 weeks into flower, after they stretch where I mostly prune them before flipping, usually a week or two.

Atom
        Participant

I read about the technique in a book called 3 a light. I don’t remember it all was long ago. I do remember them explaining to defoliate week one and 3 for best results. Those guys really stripped then though, like ridiculous amounts. Idk if I would take it that far, but there pulling 3lb per light so I guess there doing something right.

Somatek
        Participant

Yep, I remember that book but also took it with a heavy grain of salt.  As that level of stripping makes no sense but has informed a whole group of new growers that took it as gospel.  Plus it’s easier to pull weight in a vertical system if that’s the end goal, the Vert SoG I was taught could pull 4lbs/light without any fancy technique simply by light efficiency and plant density.

Atom
        Participant

They were also hydro and DE hps too if I remember right. Don’t remember it all as those were my “foggy” years

Somatek
        Participant

I kind of assume it’s hydro when people are pushing those big yields, the system I ran was a vertical NFT using 8ft 4″ pvc tubes as the vertical grow tubes with 3.5″ net pots spaced along it draining into 12″ sewer drains (“borrowed” from a road crew who’s super was a friend of the middle man/broker lol) where the pump recirculated it to the feed manifold up top. The ingenious part was having a single 1000w HPS lighting each pod, with a 2nd that’d be added for the last half of flower.  The lights in all 4 pods where connected with rope to a single light mover going back and forth 6ft to move them all off a single lightrail 2.0

Brad104
        Participant

I have never cut it down quite so much but as I’m going to do the scrog to I’m going to go ahead and go that route if it’s going well for me I am thinking of starting my first net around 2 to 2 1/4 feet and I have another I can do at 4 feet is that about the numbers I should shoot for everything I have watched on the subject bro it’s said between 2-5 feet for both nets does that seem right to you.as always I thank you my friend and this old fellow knows to ask the young guy with the killer smoke I’m referring to what you told me about the recharge, Thank you for the information on everything my friend

Atom
        Participant

I set the first net about 3 foot high I’d say. And the 2nd about a foot above it, mabie a bit less 10 inch or so. Then the plants get about 8 10 inches above the 2nd net. So I’m getting something like 18-22 inches of canopy. I find that’s about the limits of this particular light

Brad104
      Participant

Dude you definitely don’t have to sale it to me,I know that it’s an amazing and exceptional product,It definitely is straightening up my girls, thanks b to it and to you bro.@atom I am definitely in your debt my friend I know that your advice to get the recharge definitely helped my girls out.I will never not have a bag of this stuff it’s definitely a wonderful product! Thanks again @atom and your grow looks awesome 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

Brad104
        Participant

I thank you so I was close huh, I will set my bottom.net around 3′ then and thank you for your response back so fast, you have been a great help @atom

Atom
        Participant

Your welcome.

Brad104
      Participant

Hey bro do you take the main suckers off 1st defoliate or what I’ve not done it much R you supposed to just take the leaves blocking light or the bigger leaves first?

Atom
        Participant

I wanted to post a few pics to show you how I use the net and lolli them up halfway. Also I attached one to show how sometimes when leaves touch it can pool water on the leaves and can potentially cause mildew or even bud rott. This is a big factor in why I like to defoliate.

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

I start at the bottom, remove any sites that won’t get hit by the light. Then I remove pretty much all the sucker or big fan leaves accept for the top 3. I always do it by hand, there’s a special kinda movement and position to pop them off that isn’t really explainable. You’ll learn it over time. It might string them at first, you can either keep trying till you get it, or can just cut the leaves off. It takes much more time to cut though so there’s a trade off. Mine still string sometimes it not a huge deal but you don’t want to do that to the whole plant. If it keeps stringing I’d stop and just cut them until you can try again in different plant.

Brad104
        Participant

That’s most appreciated my friend, I am going to strip mine down the bottom too this run and I am going to just watch you and a couple others man and I believe that I will be off and running then bro, thanks for showing this you have helped me out once again dude.

Atom
      Participant

Back for weekly updates. Starting to take on the purple and getting very bushy. They had extra 2 weeks same as last run. Had to defoliate some, to many leaves touching.

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

Week 3 update. Purple setting in nicely, everything going well. 

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

Week 4.

Attachments:
      Brad104
      Participant

That purple is coming in so nice and even from the middle of the cola, and it’s beautiful I would expect nothing less from you bro, great as always, happy Thanksgiving bro! Enjoy and b safe bro!

Ps just ordered a 1/2 pound of the recharge, you were so right 👍, never will I ever go without it again, check out my new grow journal tonight and I will have a new picture up myself, peace ✌️ bro

Atom
        Participant

It’s a very fun strain to grow. I’m going to try out there Bubba pupil in the spring, hoping for a bit more strength. The grape is great, very unique taste, huge buds, and probably the easiest strain I’ve grown so far. I just need a bit more punch because if tolerance issues.

Atom
      Participant

Week 5 

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

I know you guys have been waiting for it so here it is, week 6.

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

7 weeks down, 2 to go. Girls are getting chunky ❤️

Attachments:
        Brad104
        Participant

Damn it bro 🙂 those are Impressive!

@atom thanks again for everything, I am sure that I will be hollering at you to pick ⛏️ your brain sooner, rather than later bro.   😂

Atom
      Participant

Week 8 one week left! These girls are very nice this run I am impressed. Pretty much all milky with about 10% amber I’d say. Been a fun strain to grow but it’s time to move on to something new. If your looking for a purple strain that’s easy to grow, smells and taste amazing try out this Grape Pupil from Mass Medical Strains. 🤘😁🤘

Attachments:
      Atom
      Participant

Day 60. Decided today was the day to take it all down. Was at about 15% amber or so.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close