Forums

Home Forums Q&A Grow bag and pot size

5 voices
10 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

Can anyone tell me if I am going wrong using 3 gallon bags on plants going 10 weeks I see lots of people using 5 gallon and lots using 3 gallon so I would really like to know the benefits of having a 5 gallon bag cause I have the space for the pots in my basement I’ve just never been root bound in years using 3 gallon so please someone can you explain to me the advantage of using a 5 gallon bag or pot TIA

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

Ignoring root mass, with larger soil volumes you get a buffering effect on your pH if you have enough lime in your mix.  You also get a larger volume to hold water.  Might be marginally more expensive to run because of the extra 2gallons of dirt per plant.  You might run into algae or fungus gnats if your pot surface runs too wet though, kinda depends on how thirsty your girls are, the VPD, and the number of weeks of veg.

Cannabliss
      Participant

As far as benefits of using a bigger pot.. bigger buds/heavier yield if everything goes well.

Up-potting multiple times has it’s benefits as well. I like to start small, and work up to 5-7gal pots. I’m looking to go a lot larger next round. I’m thinking 1x 16gal in a 4×4 topped & trained to fill a trellis (No weaving).

I would be going from a 4″ nursery pot to a 1gal –>3gal –> 5gal & then to the final pot about 6 weeks before the flip. She’s going to be huge. I’ll be sure to post pics here when the time comes.

It may seem like more work with a huge plant, but it’s much easier to learn 1 plant & satisfy it’s needs. No feeding 6 strains at different stages the same nutrient mix.

Extreme gardening mykoz is a granular that you dust your roots with/put in your plants new pot to promote root growth & nutrient uptake. (Used at each transplant, can even be set in the hole you start a seed in.)

I’d recommend it to a first time user on their 2nd, or 3rd grow so they’d be able to see the difference.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Cannabliss.
        Somatek
        Participant

On the other hand if you’re growing 1 big plant and make a mistake it reduces your entire yield by that much.  If you have 6 plants and make a mistake, only 1/6 of your yield will be affected.  Bud size may be bigger with bigger pots but yield per sq ft per watt isn’t affected by plant/pot size as long as the plants are grown properly (either trained to fill the space or planted at the right density).  Genetics, square feet of canopy and amount of energy used are the big variables in yield, although if you want giant cola’s for bragging rights then big pots definitely help.

The down side of bigger pots is longer veg times and more chances for problems to develop.  As well as more biomass trimmed/pruned off, which is inputs wasted compared to the other extreme where SoG doesn’t have any growth thrown away.  There’s more chances to over water if your watering isn’t on point, with less frequent watering you need to be more accurate with fertilizing, etc.  There’s lot of variables to consider with both sides having pro’s and cons.  Smaller pots are more work but equally have more control, large pots are less maintenance at the cost of less control.  For someone with a busy family and over worked their answer is going to be different from someone who’s retired, has time to fill and is on a limited budget.

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks @neaurotic turtle and @cannabliss I appreciate your feedback and yes cannabliss please show us your run when you do the 16 gallon bag journal.I wish you nothing but the best of yields from your crop@cannabliss

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
        Cannabliss
        Participant

The notifications seem to always be time stamped way off. I’m just seeing this. There has got to be a tweak or something that can help fix that.

Thanks @brad104

Brad104
        Participant

I really appreciate and like your answer @somatek  My father in law grows up at his place and we argue all the time and he uses the same setup 1000 watt HPS dinosaur equipment “but it’s still going strong” in fact we just took 5 ballast to Louisville and it was 20 dollars each and back to 5 more systems are on go now, although I am buying me an LED light but I’m so trying to change his mind and show him how the LED is the new and only way to go now,that’s just my thoughts 💬 on it but that is where alot of my growing questions come from so I can go explain how the subject we were arguing over is wrong his way.But it’s a battle I will win in the end I’m hoping ha ha 😅 I enjoy working with the family it’s awesome @ times and during harvest not so much  😅🤣

Atom
      Participant

More roots more fruits. I think it depends how long you plsn in veging for. We all grow differently, under different set ups and environment. I use 5 gallon because it works good for the amount of times i pot up, and veg. Basically once they hit bloom they have one mabie two feedings. Then with the temps i run at it works out to every 4th day water and every other water i nute. Bigger pots can also effect your humidity. More soil holds more water and releases more into the air via evaporation.

I would to suggest just try a plant or two next run see how it goes, what can it hurt?

Brad104
        Participant

Your right as rain @atom as always I enjoy getting information from you for I don’t need to really second guess.I can tell that you are a good solid dude as well bro.If you need anything else and think I can help just yell bro I will be close by

Atom
        Participant

Hey I appreciate that. I try to only give out solid advice, I’m not as smart as some of these guys, or am able to explain technical things. I try to keep it as simple as I can, so someone like myself could understand. Sometimes I get to overwhelmed by information and don’t retain it well.

Brad104
      Participant

That’s the same thing I do bro, honestly I can’t writey question ❓ so we’ll at times and my understanding of things are sometimes the same.Im slightly burnt 🔥🥵,but still smoking you know! I’m going to use marijuana till I take my last breath bro,so believe me when I tell you I understand you my man

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close