Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Growing in a 4×4 but not a tent?

6 voices
22 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

Can anyone give me any advice about growing in a confined space, which is not a grow tent.Im just trying to get it as close to tent like as possible. TIA

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

I’d take care of the walls early on, try Kilz paint to put a protective layer on your wall that bars mold and mildew from getting a foothold.  Wrap in mylar foil or reflective canvas in the lit area up to your max headroom.   Provide good airflow with a dedicated intake and exhaust and change the air inside every so often.  Give yourself extra hooks in the ceiling to hang a yoyo or even rope for supporting tall plants when needed.  Make sure you don’t let any light leak in around the door when it’s closed if you’re going to use this as a flowering room for photoperiods.  You can get the bottom trays from a grow tent on their own sometimes, one of these might save your floor from being a breeding ground for pests and bugs and shit.

How elaborate do you want the setup to be?

Cannabliss
      Participant

Is it a closet space? You can use panda film for the walls. If controlling the environment is an issue you can use foam undulation panels. I seen them for sale in 1/4” x 4’ x 8’.
      5 panels would make a 4 x 4 x 8’ box.  Cover the insides with panda film.
      It would be a nice bit of work, but probably a fun project since you can customize your ports.

Let us know what you’re working with, and we can work from there.

you’ll want a 6” exhaust fan & a few fans moving air.

Brad104
      Participant

Yes it’s a closet space, I have two sliding doors on the back where I have the black plastic,so I will have all the light taken care of I’m going to tarp off the front and buy a zipper from Amazon then I will have to mount a exhaust fan and mylar the walls although I am going to check out the panda film and any other advice you can give me guys.

Thanks @ neurotic turtle

Thank you @cannabliss

Keith
        Participant

These zippers are easy to use?  And worth getting?  I didn’t know they existed but I could def make use of one of they worked well.

Somatek
        Participant

The zippers are very solid, I’ve reused mine 3+ times now…

Nate
      Participant

I would make sure you get something light proof for the front. A regular tarp like the ones you use for camping likely won’t cut it for preventing light leaks. My first grow was in a closet, and I used a tarp thinking it would keep out the light, and boy was I wrong.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Where will you be exhausting the air?

Panda film will work just as well as mylar. Probably less hot spots with the panda film.

That’s a hefty probably tho. I’m not sure.

Depending on space will let you know where your fans can go. Up to you.

Brad104
        Participant

I plan on using 5 mill black plastic and double it secure it to the wall 🧱 and cut it down the center and place a zipper down the center in my mind it looks awesome!

Thanks for the info @nate

Also I’ve used the black plastic quite a bit so I already know it works making everything pitch black bro 😃

Cannabliss
      Participant

Don’t forget all the small gadgets like Hygrometer, and rope ratchets unless the light will be held stationary by chains. You will need to plan out hanging supports for fans, the exhaust/filter, and lights.

Make sure what you set up can hold a good 150lbs of weight. (Excessive, but safe)

Brad104
      Participant

Ok bro this is my plan I’m hoping that you will let me know if it will work, I was thinking of placing the fan to the pre existing 2×4 as seen in the photo,if I have to add a few boards that is fine as well,but I planned on the fan being there.Then do you see the tiny blanket over the window that window is a few inches over 3′ so I was thinking just attach the fan to the inside 2by then run the duct straight to the window and out.Also I will take and cut around a 5 and 7/8 inch whole in the black plastic and shoot the duct work straight out the window is this a plausible plan @cannabliss also I plan on asking @somatek how to build the box around the fan.My last question is I live out on a 40 something acre farm with no one around for miles so smell isn’t a issue as long as I get the duct straight to the window and it’s all good then bro.

I appreciate you @ cannabliss

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
        Cannabliss
        Participant

If you have beams to hang from like in the pic, I’d say your good as far as hanging your light & if that’s what you want. You can also take the exhaust fan & screw it into a small board & screw the board to the wall.

There are vent kits made for venting portable AC’s out of a window that you can use to help you at the actual window.

Just need to extraction fan & 6″ ducting.  Just keep in mind.. the least bends in the ducting will give you max performance. Without a filter you can keep it at a pretty low setting & remove heat/exchange air with no problem.

AC infinity has some pretty good blacked out ducting.

Somatek
        Participant

If you’re venting out the window the fan should be mounted directly in it, not in the 2×4 tent.  I’m not exactly clear what you’re describing though.

Brad104
      Participant

I sure do appreciate all the help @cannabliss, I am going to start purchasing everything I need starting around Wednesday.I plan on using the #2 setup for the fan outake.That way it will only be one turn? Do turns have to be made at 90 degrees,were the ductwork is flexible I was hoping I can get away with about a 45 degree angle it’s probably has to be a 90 I was just thinking how to not stress the fan as much.I believe when I get it done.I will have a nice 4×4 growing space! Thanks again @cannabliss I will talk to you tomorrow bro

Brad104
        Participant

I’m trying to describe that my closet is around 3′ away from my window were I’m going to be venting out.So I should be able to come straight out around 3.5 feet or roughly 1 meter then I can 90 it straight out of the window and it’s supposed to work like a charm, for I’ve been going over and over this again and again for the last 3 weeks.I got it to where they are going to go straight out of my bedroom window and no one will ever be the wiser.

Again I thank you @somatek

You are most appreciated bro definitely!

Brad104
        Participant

He was describing were I was going to put my fan,so you are saying I need to mount the fan in the window seal I can get by with that and only 1 bend I’ve decided to go with the SF 6inch inline fan and the WiFi controller for 139.00 I have 70 in credit hopefully,so I don’t think 🤔 that I can get a better setup for 70 bucks do you or anyone else

Thanks again everyone who’s helped me out.

Brad104
      Participant

Just wanted to thank each and every ones of you guys who’ve helped with there information on this post!

Thank you @cannabliss.         @keith.

@neurotic turtle 🐢.                   @nate

Brad104
      Participant

I ordered two trellis nets today,soft plant ties and some recharge sticks I am getting closer and closer by the day my friends.

Keith
        Participant

Man I really like what a trellis net does for canopy but I hate taking it off at the end, it’s covered in THC

Brad104
      Participant

How do you clean it off just washing machine by itself and keep it moving I suppose right

Brad104
      Participant

If anyone has any tips to putting up a trellis net I would appreciate it.Im going to be putting my first one up soon in my closet space

Keith
        Participant

What helped me the most was to understand that the purpose of the net it to keep things growing laterally.  So you put it down, pick the height and tuck the branches down under the net.  As they turn up and start to grow up you just tuck them back down under.   Eventually you’ll run out of room to go laterally and they’ll start going up all together.  I’ve only successfully done it once.  So I may not be the best to take advice from.

Brad104
      Participant

I appreciate any advice you know bro, I did get 2 nets for like 15 bucks so I was going to put the first net around 2 1/2 feet and the second around 4 or 4 1/2 feet I am determined to do this scrog right and my fuel dog looks good and my white widow do as well I am a bit worried about the purple ghost candy but I got my recharge today and it should pull it out of the slump I believe I will let you know how well it is working bro

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close