Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Has Anyone Ever Grown In A Space Bucket?

last updated by Nate 1 year, 6 months ago
3 voices
11 replies
  • Author
      Nate
      Participant

Has anyone grown in a space bucket/space tote type setup? When I first started growing, before I got a tent & real lights I had built a small space bucket out of recycled buckets I snagged from the restaurant I worked at at the time. I never ended up taking it all the way to the end, as my brother ended up offering to give me his setup because he’s not in a place where he can grow right now. I’m considering setting up my bucket to grow a mom at some point, once I find a strain that I want to keep around.

For anyone interested in learning about space buckets you can find all the info I used here: https://spacebuckets.com/build

I used like 10 buckets (not sure the exact size, but they’re smaller than 5 gallons, and held like 15 or 16 L of sour cream lol), and then got two computer fans (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H3SWJ24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and powered them with a 12 v 1 A (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VQHYGRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). For lighting I just got a cheap light socket with a cord (similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Weatherproof-Socket-Black-R60-00055-000/100356874?), and then I used a super cheap blurple led that screws into a normal light socket that my brother gave me. I have no clue what the wattage is, it has zero model markings, and no company name or anything. I’ll probably just use 100W  CFL that I was planning on using to begin with. I also ran LED strip lighting in a spiral along the sides of the bucket for a bit of supplemental lighting.

Brad104
      Participant

Looks super cool I am going to check this out, thanks for posting this for real.

Keith
      Participant

I’ve been on the reddit a few times. It’s a pretty freaking cool idea of you live in an apartment or somewhere where you don’t have room or want to conceal. I’ve seen some growing spaces so disguised you couldn’t even tell what it was.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah for sure man. Some of them are super advanced with automation and all sorts of bells and whistles. I just tried to do too much at once where I was trying to dial in a DIY build at the same time I was trying to learn how to grow. I think now that I have a bit more experience growing, I might be able to have a better shot at growing a plant in the bucket.

Keith
        Participant

That’s what I think is cool about them is the automation.  I bet you get that thing set up right and check it once a week.  That’s what I’d have to do if I ever went large scale.  Automated watering for sure.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah for sure, at a certain point it isn’t feasible to have to hand water everything, especially if you’re using soilless mediums, or using an ebb and flow type hydro setup. I have friends who work/have worked at commercial grow operations, and it’s really cool to be able to pick their brains about growing. I’d love to be able to get a job in the industry at some point, I just can’t justify taking a pay cut at the moment to get into a career that I’m actually interested in.

Keith
      Participant

Lol, I know that’s right.  The systems not set up for us to actually work the jobs we love.  I hope to someday do this for a living.  When my state moves into 2022 with the rest of the country I really want to do something big.  I’ve got the room for at least 100 plants.  If I could sell to dispensaries when they open up here I could prob support my family with that.  I’m clueless as to how it works in legal states though.  Would I even need a license?  Are they affordable to get?  I’m not necessarily asking you that I’m just stating questions I’ll have to find answers for someday.

Nate
        Participant

I don’t know for sure about where you are, but I think all states have regulations of some sort of another. I know it can vary wildly from state to state from what I understand. But I’m definitely not one to ask about it, I’m Canadian so I have no clue about the different state laws lol. I know here I’m constrained by a plant count, so unless I want to get a medical prescription every year, I can only have so many plants.

Keith
        Participant

What methods do they use to find people growing more than they should?  Like maybe electric bills?

Nate
        Participant

No, there’s no real crackdown on people growing more than their plant count. But if I were to have a giant grow with like 100 plants and were selling it I would imagine there’d be some way they could find you. No different than pre legalization I would imagine.

Keith
        Participant

I could go for some of that pre-legalization in my state.  😁

Nate
        Participant

Lol I just meant the time before it was legal. So if you’re still in a non legal state, you’d be pre-legalization now lol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close