Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Humidity and temperature are dropping.

last updated by Keith 1 year, 9 months ago
7 voices
27 replies
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So mother nature has given me a glimpse into what winter will look like. Temps before this cold stretch in the tent were running about 70°-75°  and RH was 50%-60%.

Now during the first cold snap of the year I am running at 60°- 68° and RH 40%-50%

This is not horrible but I would prefer to be at 70° and RH at 60%.

Looking at options to correct this and looking at heater humidifier combos, I am not seeming to find any with the ability to hold a temp or RH just ones the have timers to turn off after a certain amount of time.

Do you guys know of any heater humidifier combos units that have controls to hold temp and RH at recommended level?

Should I add both a heater and humidifier that can controller levels or how would you suggest keeping temp and RH consistent?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Two tents in a 300 Sq foot room attempting to control heat and RH in the room. Not in the tents themselves, well yes in the tents but controlling the room should do that for both tents. I think that makes sense.

Somatek
        Participant

How big are the tents?  Unless they take up most of the room that should work as long as you keep the 300sq ft room heated to the right temp with humidity in a good range.  If you can’t filter and recirculate the air from the grows easily but plan on venting outside I’d consider having your tents on humidity/temp controllers that’ll turn your fan on/off as needed.  Letting the tents drift between an acceptable range will make it easier to control the lung room temps since the air won’t be vented constantly, reducing the conditioning needs.

Anonymous
        Inactive

@Somatek

2 x 27″x27″x62″ tents, the room is a sealed room, venting the tents into the room.

Controllers I have looked at briefly but in the last two weeks of flower and growing horizontally with large patches of thick bud growth, I am not sure reducing the air flow is something I wanna do, to raise temp and humidity I would have to slow the fans and Im not sure that’s a good plan ( I’m new so maybe it is?) What else you got good sir?

Somatek
        Participant

If you’re venting back into the lung room and just recirculating the air then it doesn’t matter and you can run the fans constantly as it’ll keep things more consistent.  Are you using passive or active intakes?  Either way you ideally want your intakes on one side of the room, exhaust on the other and your humidifiers/AC/heaters/etc in the middle of the room so you know the air isn’t just being vented out and sucked right back in.  Think about the thermodynamics to try and balance things or worse case just move the intakes/vents all around until you find somewhere that works lol.

What are you doing for CO2 if you’re recirculating the air in a functionally sealed room?  Do you have hepa filters on your vents to make sure pathogens are mitigated since there’s a bigger risk in a sealed room?  Have you considered adding UVC light in your exhaust ducts to make sure there’s no pathogens in the air?

Also for the record “spawn of satan” is what is what I’m usually called, much more often the “good sir” lol.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Lmao okay my dude 😎, I am not anywhere near that high tech all that stuff you saying up there is way past the level I am at. My temps never been a problem only seeing it’s going to be a problem during the winter. I’m new I got them in a basement room with a door on it I ain’t got no HEPA filters or uv in the venting 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I’m new here.  Baby steps a reliable way to add heat and humidity is the step I am on. That’s what now is needed, the rest we figure out when it’s needed or I’m bored. I’m have to harvest and dry soon, if my humidity is 40%-50% I’m have issues. I know I gotta get a heater and a humidifier in there but there are a lot of options and am just curious what equipment would you use for just the heat and humidity.

Somatek
        Participant

A heater an humidifier is all you need, heaters usually have built in thermostats, so you just need a humidity controller for the humidifier.

As a beginner if you haven’t considered or don’t understand what I talked about as far as filtering your air and how to set up your ventilation system; you’re going to create problems trying to run a sealed room as those are essential to plan for.  Running a sealed room is advanced growing, you may want to either consider your game plan or learn what you need to do it properly without creating a mold farm instead of a pot grow.

Anonymous
        Inactive

You might be right, but so far they doing okay

Somatek
        Participant

PM has been shown to grow for up to a month before sporulating; grows can look perfectly healthy until there’s a bloom and then it’s too late as the spores will be everywhere.  Which is the point of IPM, preventing problems before they ruin a crop and you’re options for dealing with the pathogen are limited.  That’s why it’s crucial for running a sealed room with recirculated air and why I’d learn about it now instead of after the fact if that’s your plan.  As the grower you choose what your priorities are though and if you think there’s more important things to focus on the you do you as I don’t know what your situation is, what you’re dealing with or what you know/don’t know.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I will get there just so it would make you feel better I just changed my venting to circulate into the adjacent room which does have fresh air introduced through the central heat. Let me get this step done and we can move onto the next. 😎

Brad104
        Participant

Damn if those buds aren’t thick as hell good job, and luck with the room humidity and heat sounds as though soma has set you right

Keith
      Participant

This is my first year growing in winter.  The temp changes 50° from day to night here.  I’ve been thinking and trying to prepare for this for a month, but I really don’t know what exactly to expect.  I’ve checked the average temps and humidity for winter here, but I just don’t know exactly how to control everything.

Cannabliss
        Participant

If growing in a room, focus on controlling the environment in there first. Exhausting outside & intaking from your controlled room will work wonders. Then it’s just a matter of adjusting intake & exhaust to dial in the tents environment. Usually during the winter, the light provides enough heat when at 100%, but sometimes that’s too much light for the plant. I believe the level of humidity, and feeding regimen play their part as well in regards to if the plant can handle it.

Having controllers hooked up to humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and any HVAC will help make things much simpler.

Keith
        Participant

I’ve got the temp controller.  We’re in a cold snap right now so I’ve been experimenting with this little space heater for the lung room.  I think I can maintain av decent environment in there with minimal power use.  The tent itself will put off heat. But as soon as I get this new tent up I’ll start dialing that in first.  A lot of people told me that with a radiator heater I wouldn’t need a controller but I can’t see how that would work in my situation.  I need something there to control it when the lights go on/off.  I know radiators are slower to get going and the Inkbird will prob leave me with pretty big swings in temp but it’ll save me from having to be there at light change.

Somatek
        Participant

Running your lights over the night time to use their heat, HID’s may be more effective then LED’s and heaters (around here old HID’s are cheaper then space heaters at the moment, so it’s not uncommon for basement growers to switch to HID for the winter).  Worse case control the VPD as that’s key, if your temps can’t be kept in the ideal range, keep them in the most ideal/stable range you can.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Check out Inkbird.
      https://a.co/d/0f8oz2t

Or this even looks good & easier on the wallet.
      https://a.co/d/cT6Nnvu

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Cannabliss.
        Anonymous
        Inactive

@Cannabliss

This my friend has just opened up a whole nother level on my search options. Controllers to control the heaters and humidifiers.

I didn’t even think about that.

Thank you.

Keith
        Participant

I just bought an inkbird and now I feel dumb for having waited so long.  I had to run out there twice a day when lights switched on/off for months.  Then for $30 not only did I free that need up, I have better control over the temp as well.  For whatever reason I found one on Amazon for 50% off that day.  Look for the coupons.  I never noticed them before.

Nate
      Participant

I would assume that you’d want your heater and humidifier to be separate so that you can control them independently. I would be careful with a heater without any sort of temperature control, because that could get out of range very easily if you aren’t in the garden/monitoring temps. Also, I have heard horror stories of people’s heaters burning their room/house down, so I wouldn’t cheap out on it if it’s absolutely necessary to use one.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeah it’s a complete sealed room exhausting tents into the room. I assume that’s what a lung room is?

Summer is no issue because it’s in basement so stays cool but the central heat is not connected to that room and winter is going to be a problem.

I was hopeful that some maybe had a heater humidifier combo suggestion as I have looked at 100s and can not find one that can hold room a temp or humidity.

@Nate I appreciate you response to the question at hand and I think that is the way I will go.  Two separate units so I can keep a steady temp and humidity. Safety and fire hazards are now at the top of my mind, I appreciate that little tid bit. Okay on to more research on this. Warm next 7 days so I have a small window to get this right.

Anonymous
      Inactive

So here is another question on this same subject.

How bad of an environment would you say this is?

Temp 60°-70°

RH 40%-50%

From what I have read this is ideal.

Temp 70°-80°

RH 50%-55%

But I’m just learning all this and I’m not sure how bad my current environment is, or what the sweet spot is either.

IamN2pot
        Participant

Pilted, while InkBird makes fine products, I have the temp controller and only use it for my heating mat. It can’t do .1* settings. I can’t speak for the humidity controler, as I don’t have a humidifier or de-humidifier. I have been considering adding one and this one looks interesting, https://acinfinity.com/humidifiers/ . I can hold a constant ‘heating’ temp in my garage setup with a small portable heater and my venting fan plugged into this controller, https://www.bn-link.com/collections/temperature-controller/products/bn-link-digital-heating-and-cooling-professional-thermostat-controller-for-seed-germination-reptiles-and-brewing-breeding-40-176-f-15a-1875w

And here is how the magic works. The controller is made in China, well duh, and is designed to work in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. In the controllers setting you can set both the SV (Set Value or target temp) and the Actual Temp reading in .1 increments in F*.

So with all that in mind, if I set my target (SV) to 70.0*F, the controller doesen’t actually have that temp because when you convert C* into F*, there is no 70.0*.  69.9* and the heater comes on and heated the tent until the controller flips to 70.1* and the exaust fan kicks on to pull in that cool garage air and lower the temp to 69.9* and the cycle continues all night. I’ll try to get up early enough in the morning to get a shoer video of it cycling back and forth. I don’t know if you’re running your exaust fan 24/7, but if you are, this on/off cycling of the heat and exaust will raise the humidity over it running 24/7 (like mine does all summer) 😛  In fact, you can set that controler to about 1/2 of the .1*F scale.

Here is a pictureof how I have my space heater set-up in the tent.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by IamN2pot.
        Cannabliss
        Participant

Nice. Is that curtain in the back to stop light from coming in so the vent can remain open at all times?

I did that once. I had a small amazon box leaning up against it tho lol

I’m really into nifty little hacks to safely make it through the storm with these plant.

Keith
      Participant

I like this chart bc it takes into account for lead temps if you’re using an led light.  It was confusing to me at first, but give it a min bc it’s very useful.

https://pulsegrow.com/blogs/learn/vpd-charts-in-fahrenheit-and-celsius-with-leaf-temperature

Anonymous
        Inactive

Will check it out, thanks, I am using led.

Anonymous
        Inactive

At first glance at that chart I am not far off from what’s recommended. I have to relook at it as I think it’s saying I need to lower humidity at my temp. I’m read up more about this.

Keith
        Participant

Yeah that’s how I used it.  I had better control over my temps so whatever my rh was at I would try to match my temps to. If my rh was 62% that day I’d check the chart and adjust the ac accordingly.  Also between night and day.

Brad104
      Participant

I be used space heaters with temp control in my basement for a minute bro and it’s always seems to work well so I don’t believe you will have many problems at all if you put the small heater and or humidifier or dehumidifier bro

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close