Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation I woke up to 75° 48%rh in the drying tent!

last updated by Keith 1 year, 6 months ago
6 voices
23 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

I know exactlywhat happened.  Bc I set it up the same way I did it last time and it was perfect.  During the day was perfect.  Last night it was all fucked up.  The only variable is the temp.  It got cold last night. First cold night where I live. 45°.  The fucking window ac thinks it’s cold enough bc half of it is fucking outside and shuts itself down while the dehu continued to run all night and pump warm dry air into the little lung room the little tent is in.  I partitioned off a section of room with blankets to create a little lung room to better control it.  I just never considered this.  I didn’t know it was going to get so cold. Fuck I could’ve opened up a window and it would’ve done a better job than this.  But I don’t have any screens on the windows.  I doubt bugs are flying around in 45° weather though.

You guys think I ruined this harvest.   It’s day 2 drying.  They’re still hella wet.  It’s not like I dried them out, I just fucked up the temp and rh for about 8 hours.  I checked before bed and they were fine.  So it couldn’t have been that long.

Keith
      Participant

Yeah that was exactly what it was.  I hadn’t gotten out of bed yet when I made the post, I was just laying in bed freezing so I knew three outside temps were low.  I checked it out and the ac was putting out no cool air.  I opened the door to the building and put a fan there.  It had the room to 54° in 5 minutes.  I think what I need to do is just shut down the dehu at night.  It doesn’t seem to need it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Keith.
      Keith
      Participant

It’s like something is against me right now.  I know they were all my mistakes, but I got through 2 grows with no operator errors and now 2 in a week.  I should’ve known this would happen bc I started getting the idea about how the ac runs in cold weather earlier this week.  It was morning and the temps were high.  I was already at work and checking on my phone.  I couldn’t figure out why as everything was set how it usually is, but I got the idea then that it prob had to do with the cold outside temps.

Atom
        Participant

Not ruined. You’ll be good I’ve had stuff dry out way to fast, like 4 days fast. While I’m sure it would have been better it was still decent. I left it jars for a full day instead of burping first day and it helped pull and distribute any remaining moisture from the center. Then went about burping like normal

Keith
        Participant

Hells yeah, thanks

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Im terrible with this lol. I bet that room smelled strong at 75! Absolutely not ruined tho. Ive Had buds in 60 degrees with like 58% RH in a jar. Said jar at 70plus degrees, raised the humidity in the jar and got that wet smells to it. Left buds out for a few hours and they only lost their smell a little bit after they dried back out.

Keith
        Participant

They don’t smell too much like pot but like green plant matter.  It was the same last time but they turned out super stinky by the end.  Honestly it’s just for me to smoke and I don’t care that much.  If it’s harsh a water bong will cool it down some.

Atom
        Participant

It will smell like that at first, then take on a sorta sweet smell. It will be all good man definitely minor hiccup

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Im with Atom. While im drying and curing I think it smells and tasted different every day haha

Nate
      Participant

I think if anything it would just dry out a little faster. You should be fine though man, don’t panic.

Keith
      Participant

I think i fixed the problem.  I’ll have to explain my grow room though.  The whole room is prob 20×20 with a closet.  I partitioned off a 6ft section with blankets and put the tent in there.  It was easier to control the temp and rh.  On one side of the tent I’ve got the dehu and the ac is in a window on the other side.  With a 1ft “hallway” to get behind the tent to the ac. I thought it was okay bc the exhaust system will suck in from both sides.  I liked it bc if the rh was high I could swing the intake vents over to the dehu side or the ac side if it was hot.  But last night the ac thought it was really cold and stopped putting out cold air bc the back side of the tent was very cold.  The dehu didn’t, it just continued to pump out warm air.  All I did was put 2 fans in the partitioned off lung room to circulate the air.  They need to mix before going into the tent so the dehu air can get over to the ac and warm the back area up.  We’ll see if it works tonight, it’s supposed to be cold again.

Nate
        Participant

Right on, hopefully you’ve got it sorted. I think that’s probably a good call with the fans as the AC and the dehu can only work based on the air that they’re in contact with.

Brad104
      Participant

Hate that bro ,but agree with atom and loves 2 trim and like atom said.Ive also seen with my own eyes people I know (not me )  They hang there wet plants over a string line in a large room then turn on around 5 or 6 1000 watt lights on @ 100% and then let her dry. I can’t remember a time when they bitched about getting mold it is just super super crispy kind of crispy you don’t even need a grinder when you roll one,but it will get you high, just harsh and looks bad ,but hey like I’ve said before to each there own right! I wish you the best on your finished product @keith.

Cannabliss
      Participant

The monitor I use for my drying space has seen temps up to 76F with no harm being done that I noticed, or could have noticed.
      get it cool in there again tho. My Ac does the same thing, so I open the window next to the tent & crack the vent open, so the cold air is being sucked in. It’s all we can do. If the humidity was at 77% and 75F I would say to give them a look over for anything that looks different. You should be fine tho.

Keith
        Participant

I need an extra window in there.  One for the ac during the day and one to open for a fan at night.  I don’t know why the air being sucked through the ac isn’t as cold as the outside air.  Last night it got around 68°. During the day it runs at 61°

Cannabliss
        Participant

Speaking of this situation I woke up today with my 3×5 sitting at 69% RH while I have an auto in there trying to finish up flowering. She may be just about done. I’m just waiting for the stigma to recede into the calyx.

I may be chopping it within the next week or so.

Keith
        Participant

My autos are almost done too.  I’m getting antsy.  Also I need to figure out how to fix this warmer tent at night.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Ae there any heating vents open in the room?

Keith
        Participant

No there are none.  There’s no ductwork in the building.  This harvest most def did not go as well as the first.  But my problems started when I fried the leaves from forgetting to water 2 weeks ago.  After that I just lost heart.  I’m very happy I planted those autos, they’re stinking up the whole building.

Keith
      Participant

I think what I can do is remove the second window ac unit and just put a fan in there.  The only thing is I’d have to pull it down and blackout the window before I left for work.  Which really ain’t that bad.  If at it up at night when I need it and take it down in the morning.  The days are still 80°.  The nights have been as low at 38° the other night.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Fan blowing the cold air in at night is all you can do. Humidity should be up in the 60-70% range maybe higher, so it could help with the dry, as long as the ac will kick on during the day.
        maybe if you have a separate exhaust fan & ducting you can just set it up to pull air from the window, and you can black it all out from there. They sell little sections of plastic with the ducting port cut out already to set in the window & just holds there as an AC unit would. The intake from outside can either go into the room, or straight into the tent.
        I mean.. it should work out. I have to wheel & deal with my environment as well. I’m always moving this & changing that. Each grow has been dialed in a different way lol the cons of not having an environmentally controlled grow room.

Keith
        Participant

That’s a fucking really good idea.  I’ll have to spent a bit of money but no more than maybe $30 on an exhaust fan.  See that’s why I like to talk this stuff out with people.  I mightve come to that conclusion but prob not after getting other things.  That’s a really good idea.  I’ll prob vent directly into the tent but not sure what type of moisture is going to be carried with the nighttime air.  It’s real dewy.

Last night it stayed in the low 70s so my ac ran fine.  It’s only on the cold nights I’ll need it.

Cannabliss
        Participant

You can dial it in with your exhaust.  When daytime temps start rising, I’d cut it off & rely on the AC + fan inside the tent to move air.

I’m currently drying as well. Just chopped a huge plant from my greenhouse.

Temps have been swinging because of the cold nights knocking the AC out of play, but I still manage to remain below 70F. Humidity has gone as low as 43% and as high as 66%.

When it’s lower (RH), I knock out the wind factor (Fans) so they don’t his the gas pedal on the dry.

Keith
      Participant

That’s really good stuff.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close