Home Forums Grow Journal Identifying nanners on your buds

8 voices
24 replies
  • Author
      Cannabliss
      Participant

Just a visual of what to look for when growing. Some genetics may shoot some of these bad boys out if they are sensitive to some things, or if the genetics just aren’t stable.  Lots of bag seeds will probably be likely to produce them later in flower.

Sometimes a female plant may start to produce them if she has gone too long flowering, or feels a threat.

It’s sort of a last ditch effort to pollinate herself in those instances.

Have you seen them on your plants before?

How did you handle it? Chop the plant & cut losses, or pluck them & keep it going?

Let me know your thoughts & experiences with your run-in’s with nanners

Keith
      Participant

I just tried to reply, wrote a long ass message and it wouldn’t post. This is a test.

Nate
      Participant

My first couple grows I had some nanners, and I tried to pick them off. It sort of worked, but I ended up getting some seed. I’d say if it’s only a couple, then pick them off, but if the whole plant is covered to just ditch it as soon as possible. Definitely annoying as you can lose an entire crop if you don’t notice in time.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Agreed. I would have to take action & pluck, but it would really depend. First thing I would probably do (if possible) is remove the affected plant.. inspect, and pluck vigilantly. If it were to be multiple plants, I may just cut my losses. Depends on the level of frustration it stirred up.

Unholyfire
      Participant

I rarely have ever had to deal with them.  I run autoflowers 99% of the time. Thanks for the share.

Atom
      Participant

I once bought some seeds that were hermies bad. Lots if banners you had no problem seeing them, mostly down low but some on the tops. Well I thought wtf do I do? It was early in my grow journey so I didn’t have alot going on to get pollinated so I said f it and grew it out.

I will say I was pretty surprised it wasn’t completely loaded with seeds. Pretty much only the spots where nanners where present did it get seeds.

Could of been poor circulation, could of got lucky, I’m surely not going to try to recreate that now on purpose but it was a cool learning experience. Wish I would of done more research before ordering from nukeheads. Don’t. Do. It.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I’d definitely document that in the Breeder/strain review thread. Keeping that noted. Nukehead = No no lol

Brad104
      Participant

I ve been growing for over a decade and I honestly have never seen those dudes.My thought 💭 why we’ve never  seen or had any dealings with these nanners.I believe it’s cause 99% of our plants are clones we always take cuttings and that’s my crop So we’re I hardly ever grow plane seeds and only do clones ,Do you think 💬 that’s why I have not ever heard of or seen these things until now bro.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I would pretty much bet on it. Must be pretty solid genetics. You can keep cloning over & over. I have 1 strain that is in like 4 different stages of life. All the same clone. All different ages. Only 1 in flower. She’s a keeper.
        Best way to practice is to grow one strain, or as many as one can handle. Get to know them. Grow them multiple times. After a while, it’s like grandma’s banana bread recipe. You will have your stuff together & know what they want. I learned the hard way that not all of them like the same food. Some want less, some want more.
        The learning curve is definitely a doozy. Lol

Atom
        Participant

You can still get them with any plant if you stress it enough. Some just pop them much easier, the breeder should know this and never even release the seeds. Some of them don’t care I’m sure, there only in it for money.

Nate
      Participant

Here’s one of my earlier runs that had a bunch of nanners, which went pretty heavily to seed. I managed to at least get a bunch of dry sift out of it though, so not a complete loss.

Brad104
        Participant

Your exactly 💯 on point @cannabliss I have been cloning the same few strains for quite a few years.Im one of the lucky ones I have a full basement to grow in and the whole top of the house.Thats why of you notice I am doing my grow journal in a 4×4 closet ha 😅 but I’m almost certain that I can make it happen and I prey I don’t screw it up for all of the world 🌎 to see.Anyway if I can win one of these lights I will really produce something nice.Im working with cheap LEDs at the moment.but as always I appreciate you all

Cannabliss
        Participant

Do you have any clip lamps?  I use them to germinate. You can also use the on your plants.

Nate
        Participant

No, no clip lamps at the moment. I’m sure I could get some pretty easily though. I was considering getting a small LED grow light like a SF300 or something similar, and then just setting up some wire shelving to have as a propagation or early seedling grow space.

Keith
      Participant

I hope I never ever see them.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

egad, I found one, it was hiding on a really stressed branch that was flopping around in the fan breeze.   I hope it was the only one / only branch, but we’ll see.  I think the die is 13mm.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Definitely fits the description. Looks like they are still intact. Good thing you caught them. If you are in mid-late flower, there probably isn’t much of a chance for seed to produce.  What I have noticed however, it will make flower development seem sluggish.  Plants would take a little longer to ripen up.

Never be scared to get in there & search/pluck them. If you happen to damage a “dry gram or 2” it’s still a more desirable outcome than an unintentionally seeded crop.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

yeah, ’tis from the thc victory, still only day 32ish of flower, and another 50-52 to go. I’ll update my journal later when I get a chance to scour the branches for more.    I’m kiiinda glad I don’t have a trellis to deal with right now.

Cannabliss
        Participant

That’s pretty early. It could most definitely be from the fan beating on the one branch. It’s actually a hell of a spot to get them. (being in front of a fan) The nanners can easily bust & spread pollen everywhere.
        have you noticed any stigma (pistils) going brown on you, and curling up? I’d check the area immediately available for pollen to hit if the fan may have helped release any.. which would be everything also getting wind from that particular fan. Would be pretty easy to spot so early in flower.
        If you see it.. it’s possible it may have been pollinated.

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

this is the branch head that had the nanner on it, I was thinking the brown and crispy appearance was just because it was the part rubbing on the next branch, but you’re not the only one to mention the curled and brown appearance of a pollenated pistil.  Pic for clarity:

edit: she tasted great even quick dried over mild heat for 24h.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Yea that definitely looks pollinated. Is it the only one like that? It says you posted this 22 hours , 15 mins ago.. idk if that is correct. I’m sorry if I took long. The notifications are screwy. I “View all” now & open each one in a new tab. It’s the slowest process ever on a pc lol

NeuroticTurtle
      Participant

yeah, it was the only branch like that, I’ve checked over the nearby portions a few times, but nothing outside the occasional brown but uncurled pistil.  The leaf on the little God Bud x NH23 it was rubbing on above is pretty crispy now tho, lol.   Almost wore right through in spots.

Cannabliss
        Participant

That looks rough.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m glad @atom brought up that stress will cause them to come out for as I said I have never had any run ins with nanners,but I’m super glad @cannabliss and @atom has educated me on theese critters!
      Thanks again

@cannabliss

@atom

IamN2pot
      Participant

Thought I jump in here with my ‘nanner experaince. Yes, I’ve seen them and actually rather often. I love to push my blooms out into overtime for maximum amber trichromes. Perhaps that’s why I’m a couch potato, hahaha!

Anyway, ‘nanners. Cannablis, your pictures to open this thread clearly show exactly my experiance with them. In the first picture, the pistils are brown and dead and the bract is empty. So no seed. you may also note the glossy smooth appearance of the stamen, ‘nanner’. If it has pollen, it will be dull and powdery looking with pollen. I’ve personally never has a “nanner” produce seed anywhere but at the stamens location.

In the 2nd picture, you can see how the female pistil is actually in contact with the stamen. If it is a viable stamen, I believe that is the most likely way pollen is transfered. In my experiance with them, I just look at them like little wrapping bows that occasionally are wrapping up a femmed seed present. As for worrying about ‘nanners seeding a crop, it’s never happened to me. 50 ‘nanners might equal 10 seeds in my experiance with them.

For what it’s worth…  the reverse also happens. Males can and do occasionally produce pistils. I’ve had one of those, too.

pappa girl

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close