Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Irrigation/Fertigation Methods

last updated by Treetrunk422 12 months ago
5 voices
15 replies
  • Author
      Nate
      Participant

What kinds of irrigation/fertigation systems are you guys using? I’m starting my first run with an Autopot system currently, and I’m just wondering what your opinions/experiences are with the different types of systems out there. The main reason I got the autopots is because I was watering 3 times daily my last run, and it was a lot of work. Definitely looking to automate things a little bit.

Anyone out there using Blumats or anything more sophisticated like a pump and timer system?

Brad104
      Participant

I’ve been uneasy about using auto anything in the past, because it was always generally a timer involved and I didn’t like trusting timers, but I know times have changed and I am interested in seeing what you guys are doing with the autopots.

Nate
      Participant

Yeah, I personally wanted to avoid adding any extra pumps/timers because of not wanting to add too much to the single circuit that my tent is running off of. My electrical system is somewhat old, and I don’t want to blow a fuse (I have actual fuses, not breakers). I’m looking forward to seeing how the system goes too, and I’ll be running a grow journal here as well. I’ve never used a bottom feeding system before, but lots of people swear by them.

Brad104
      Participant

Also I have seen some nice setups by inkbird on Amazon

Nate
        Participant

For sure, I was also interested in irrigation systems from the bucket company too, but those would’ve required setting up pumps and timers. I definitely like the idea of a passive system where the plant dictates how much feed it is getting. Prior to settling on the Autopots, I was split on whether I would go for a passive coco system, or run a DWC system. I just wanted something that would enable me to not spend quite so much time in the garden every day. One of the factors that made me lean towards the autopots was the fact that I prefer to have a double trellis, and having to open the buckets regularly while the plants are tied up so to speak, seemed like it would be a major pain.

Atom
      Participant

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a 800gph submersible pump and wand. Works pretty good

Nate
        Participant

Right on, so you’re using the wand as a sprayer and then spraying each pot?

Atom
        Participant

Yeah. They sit in saucers, then I remove run off with turkey baster. It’s a pain, finally broke down and got a shop vac should be here this week

Nate
        Participant

The last run I did I was originally using a turkey baster for my runoff as well, but I eventually ended up drilling holes in the saucers, and gluing 3/8″ tubing to the bottom, and then having them drain into yoghurt tubs to catch the runoff/measure EC. Then from there I’d just dump the runoff into a laundry sink nearby. It was still a bit of a pain because I was watering three times a day by the end, but better than sitting there with a turkey baster lol.

Keith
      Participant

I thought a lot about auto pots.  And I prob should considering I messed up and forgot to water this weekend and fried my plants.  But I grow in soil and only need to water 4 plants every 3 days.  I’m going to get a better set up going after this grow.  Put together a 5×8 tent, and am going to better everything.  That’s why i need to win a light.  I still have to figure out something for run off.  Right now I use a turkey pan and shop vac it out.  Sediment gets caked on it though and I can’t get accurate ppm readings.  I don’t really pay too much attention to run off though.  I think I’m going to build an elevated platform for each plant and have a tray I can slide out from underneath.   I’d be interested in following your grow journal Nate and see how you like the auto pots.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah, I was hoping to win one of the lights too lol. Trying to replace my old HID lights so I can cut down on power costs. I’ll definitely be posting how the Autopots go in the grow journal. I honestly can’t wait until the seedlings are big enough to be transplanted into the Autopots. I don’t think you need to worry about runoff EC/ppm with soil do you? Depending on the size of your pots, the saucer/runoff hose that I was explaining above might work for you.

Here’s a pic of my seedlings sitting on two of them, half to catch the runoff, and half to keep them off the basement floor.

*Edit: also, that is a huge tent lol, I wish I could afford to get something that big.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Nate.
        Keith
        Participant

I wish I could zoom in on your pic.  Did you drill holes in the green top of that bucket your plants are sitting on?  That’s a great idea for runoff.  Seedlings look happy and healthy.  Nice looking set too.  Am looking forward to seeing them grow.  I’ve got one just started too.  I’ll post a pic.  This is just their temporary space until the tent finishes up.   The tent I put together was made out of 3/4 inch pvc that I scored for free on fb.  I’ll have to spend about $80 on foam board for the walls.  I posted a pic in the grow room at up thread.  Here’s the endgame and runtz that just started. 

Nate
        Participant

If you’re on a computer you can right click on the image to open in a new tab if you want to zoom.

But yeah, there’s a hole in the saucer, with the tubing glued to it, and then a hole in the top of the bucket and the side of the bucket, which the tubing is fed through to create a bend. Then it just runs off into the yoghurt tub. The only reason the one on the left has hydro clay is because the pots in that one are shitty pots without drainage holes from the dollar store, so I had to drill holes, and I didn’t want them sitting directly on the saucer blocking the holes.

Overall it’s a pretty simple but effective solution to draining runoff, especially once under a trellis/scrog and you can’t move the plants easily.

Keith
        Participant

Man I know that’s right, that’s my problem now.  I almost didn’t put up the trellis net this time.  But I had so many green wires coming from the pot to the branches that I was having a hell of a time watering.  The 5 gallon fabric pots I got are low and wide.  A 5 gallon bucket would be too small I think.  It would drip over the edges for sure.  I just have to think of something to elevate them with and allow the run off to drip below.  I’ve got wood and pvc, but if you’ve got any ideas throw them my way.  I’ll look online for a bucket with a lid that’s short and wide, then drill my holes from there.  I figure it’ll have to be at least 15in diameter.

I’m on my phone.  I figure they’ll work out the glitches.

Nate
        Participant

Yeah, I think you’re probably right about those buckets being too small for a pot that size.

Some sort of wood frame would probably work. I got the initial idea from this tutorial: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/diy-self-draining-saucers/

I think the main thing is something sturdy enough to hold the weight. You could probably use 2×4’s and OSB to make a platform, and the maybe wrap it in vapor barrier? I’d be a little concerned about moisture using bare wood. You’d still need to find a saucer big enough for your pots though.

Treetrunk422
      Participant

I have a DIY ebb and flow hooked up to timer that floods the plants a few times a day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close