Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Living the dream, watching the grass grow…

3 voices
17 replies
  • Author
      Somatek
      Participant

I woke up and decided my life wasn’t ridiculous enough and I should move the veg room into my bedroom so I can live the dream; lay in bed and watch the grass grow…

The actual reason is I need better access to my veg room and want to create separation between it and the flower room for better IPM.  It also gets good light pretty much all day, may as well take full advantage of that supplemental free sunlight. I’ve been thinking about it for awhile but had the energy this morning, plus I need to get the spare bedroom empty in case Sushi the aggressive Shiba Inu needs a home.  I was surprised at how easy it was to take the veg area down, move it out and reassemble it.  It’s almost like I’ve figured things out after 20 years of growing lol.  Now to save up for another 100w QB from Spider Farmer for the lower chamber as I’ll definitely need more even light down there.

I’ve got a bunch of little things to do to finish it, replace some of the plastic which had vent holes cut in it,waterproof, stretch the plastic around the window to block it off, etc.  Not today though as I need to rest after a busy morning switching things around.  Plants are happy, time to nap…

Somatek
      Participant

After a light oiling and seeing how the grain comes out already, I’d decided to take off all the plastic and finish it as a nice piece of furniture for the living room.  May as well since it’s clean cedar with some decent grain, now to decide what colour to paint the table legs or if I’ll refinish them instead.

Brad104
      Participant

That’s absolutely amazing and awesome it’s great to be on vacation every day right 👍

Somatek
        Participant

I think it’ll look slick once I get the plastic redone and there’s more wooden structure visible since the grain is coming out nicely, then I’ll finish it with a beeswax/olive oil to seal the wood and bring out the grain more.

Atom
      Participant

Nice, looking good. It’s hard to compete with the sun, although I think today’s led tech is getting pretty close.

Somatek
        Participant

LED’s or cmH are definitely getting a lot closer to competing with the sun but the fact it’s free will also make it the best option if usable.  I remember some of the old grow books talked about installing solar tubes for supplemental lighting but with legalization why not just turn a sun room into your grow?

Atom
        Participant

Yeah i hear that. I’d love to have a sunroom to grow more than just these plants too. A year round garden would be awesome.

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve always like the idea of a greenhouse built around a tiny house, so the heat from it is captured and acts as a thermal bank when the sun isn’t keeping it warm.  Especially if you did packed earth or concrete construction so it has density/mass to capture the suns heat and radiate it back out.

Brad104
        Participant

Not only I see that you are a great professor in the explanation of people’s question ⁉️ but also let me find out, that you are quite the carpenter 🪚 as well.You do not 🚫 cease to amaze @somatek best of luck in life and everything else you do bro

Somatek
      Participant

Being an underground grower forces you to learn all the skill required to set up and run a grow yourself; building rooms/walls, running electricity or plumbing, fixing drywall, building tables…  You really need to be a jack of all trades when the laws force you to hide from typical professionals.  Come to think of it that’s also why I learned to take pics lol.

Brad104
      Participant

You are a good person soma I have seen you helping multiple people here already on the forum and you are a green thumb bro too

Somatek
        Participant

That’s awfully nice of you to say, I’m equally good and bad like anyone at the end of the day; there’s multiple people that would gladly tell you how much of an asshole I am lol.  Helping people grow is just as much about learning myself as well as building community.

Brad104
      Participant

I know we can all be assholes at the end of the day but I can honestly see how you enjoy telling others about growing.I enjoy watching you work my friend

Somatek
        Participant

Sharing what I know as a means of learning more is definitely my natural tendency, so it’ll be a good fit at the pot shop that just offered me a job as they want to start catering to home growers but don’t have the experience needed to get into the market.  Soon I’ll be getting paid to ramble on about growing pot lol, truly living the dream

Brad104
        Participant

That’s excellent news there @somatek just do me 1 favor when something in your new store is rediculously low price let me know.I would probably have to pay the remainder in shipping here to the states but hey I have to try, saving dollars you know

Somatek
        Participant

Sure, if we’re doing mail order that’s no problem although I imagine the focus will be on in store sales as there’s a bunch of regulations around the business since it’s licensed to sell pot.  I’ll also be focusing on stocking soil, ferts, amendments, etc as those are hard for online shops to compete with as shipping costs keep it competitive.  Most equipment I’ll be suggesting people buy online since shops can’t compete with amazon, no point in having money sitting in dead inventory compared to investing it in product that’ll move.

Brad104
      Participant

I understand we’re you are coming from I didn’t know it was selling product as well as accessories and such.Thanks for clarifying and good luck with your new job, best of luck there!

Somatek
      Participant

It made me smile this morning seeing the sun blasting the veg room, up until around noon they get decent light.  Now I just have to figure out if I can accurately measure the PPFD without buying a par meter.  My guess is that using a lux meter and converting it won’t be anywhere close to accurate with supplemental sunlight in the mix but hopefully someone corrects me if I’m wrong.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close