Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation On the job!

last updated by Atom 1 year, 5 months ago
3 voices
20 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

I opened it up to find these two friends 😁 of mine going to work or just out on a stroll.

Either way I sure hope that they never leave, and they call more family members and invite them to move on in you know.Got to love it.I would love to know what to feed them to keep them around besides spider mites.

Atom
      Participant

Lady bugs favorite food are aphids but will eat anything they can find. But unfortunately if there’s no food they will move on to find it. There not to bad to buy them though. I buy them every year for outdoor gardens. About 20$ gets you a whopping 3000 lady bugs.

I’ve always wanted to hatch some praying mantis clutch and raise some up to release.

Brad104
      Participant

Yeah I know we tried it once downstairs bought 1000 or so and we may have seen 10 more since theese 2 😅 but I know that you are supposed to give them something to eat and sprinkle it around but I found it out a bit late that’s why I posted this to try and find out what it is that will keep these dudes around Ha ha 😂

Atom
      Participant

Your supposed to spray the leaves a bit with some water and makes them stick around longer. If you release them inside there likely in there somewhere. If your using hid light most will fly up into the light and die. There not actually that great for mites. They’ll have to eat hundreds to satisfy there diet and if there’s no abundance of food they will fly off.

Brad104
      Participant

That’s exactly what happened to them cause that’s what is running in the basement hid 1000 HPS bro I appreciate your feedback and information b good and thank you again

Atom
        Participant

Your welcome

Keith
      Participant

This was informative.  I hope I never need them, but if I do I didn’t know you needed to spray the leaves to help keep them around.  Sounds like something you get when you know you have an issue, if you’re indoor.  Or else they’ll just fly off.  Or into the light.

Brad104
        Participant

Well these shades on the old HPS 1000 watt light is lots of places for bugs as small as lady bugs,but I don’t think that you would have to worry about one getting into an LED depends on the light I suppose but not sure bro

Keith
        Participant

I see what you’re saying.  Yeah there doesn’t look like there’s many areas to hide out on any of my lights.  It’s just a board with a bunch of diodes.

Atom
        Participant

They will do better under led but probably still lose some. HID lights get super hot so it cooks them because there attracted to the light. I’ve only released them once inside and was using hps back then, so I can’t say for certain they won’t get cooked by led though.

I have however released them many times outdoors and they work well. They will eat anything that fits in there mouth, but aphids are what there good for.The best thing you can do is get them as early in the season as possible. If you can get them to reproduce, the larva eat 5x as much as an adult and there super fast. You cannot buy larva they have to hatch naturally.

Keith
        Participant

Growing outdoors seems pretty damn difficult.  I’d like to do it someday when I can.  I’ve got the space.  Spots that are in the sun from sunrise to sunset.  I just can’t afford to go to prison right now.  With the wife and kids and all.  So I gotta hide out inside.  I have collected a bunch of 3/4 inch pvc that I had the idea of using to someday build hoop houses.  To grow anything in.  I thought of maybe growing shrubs right now and selling them to landscapers.  But I don’t really have the time for that.  If I could automate the watering then I guess there wouldn’t be too much for me to do.  I would just have to figure out how to do everything.  Lol, I just got off work and smoked a bong.  Everyone’s gone so I just sat down on the couch and opened the forum.  You’ll have to excuse my rambling.

Brad104
      Participant

I want to get a couple of preying mantis eggs, although I am not quite sure when the season starts for those bugs or lady bugs I am thinking right before spring you know around March when you get stuff ready to plant outside,but I’m just guessing for you know what time it is best to get either of them before season @atom ?

Atom
        Participant

Yeah spring is good for lady’s, I’m not real sure about mantis. I read into it few years ago, but I forget shit lol. I’ll read into it some more this winter, I know ot hatches a whole bunch, and most get eaten by the others. I think they all eventually will if you don’t separate them, there very territorial and fight other mantis that come neer. It will be all new to me, should be pretty cool.

I’d like to note I always order from “nature’s good guys”. Always ships fast and orders right every time.

Keith
        Participant

Is anyone else now thinking about thousands of miniature praying mantis battling in some sorts of PM royal rumble?  Little green ninjas slashing and eating each other until only one remains.  And then he gets sold for like $100,000 to a Chinese guy who then uses him for black market PM fights and wins his money back 10 times over.

Sorry for the stereotype.  Chinese people are the only people I’ve ever heard of fighting praying mantis.

Atom
        Participant

Lol mantis mayham 2023! Many mantis will enter, only one will remain!

Keith
        Participant

If I knew how to photoshop I’d be trying to make a hulk hogan praying mantis right now.

Brad104
      Participant

If anyone is wondering why the Rock is in my post,hence my posts some people were saying that it was spam,but anyway I had a mice that would get in the dirt, I live on a farm so I threw out lots of poison and the Rock in the pots they have not been dug in since and you can grow in rock people been doing it for over 20 years that I know although it was mostly like aquarium rocks but I needed something a field mice could not dig up so I went with 57 stone and it’s working great 😃👍 jS

Atom
        Participant

It’s that time of year, we getting them too. My dog isn’t friendly towards cats or I’d get me one

Brad104
      Participant

They work bro, have had 0 problems since I added a couple inches on the top.

Atom
        Participant

There not getting on my tents or nothing but my dog food. We’ve been trapping them and haven’t seen any in few weeks. They come back though gotta stay on it.

Keith
      Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close