Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Rock medium

5 voices
10 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

Why is it only clay pebbles you see in the net pots? Can you only use clay pebbles and if so why?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I know you can use other mediums. I just can’t remember what they are. One company uses shaped rock.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m a country boy from the coalfield tri state KY WV and Ohio so my money is funny 🤣 sometimes and I just wondered if you could use like clean gravel rock like a #51 Stone or something like that you know.I thought years ago that like fish aquarium rocks were used if I’m not 🚫 mistaken but thanks for the feedback

Keith
        Participant

I grew up in Ohio.  Suburbs of Cleveland.  Not there anymore though.

Nate
      Participant

I think it would really depend on what minerals the rocks are made of. Also it would depend on how porous the rocks are. I think the reason that clay pebbles are used is that they will absorb some of the nutrient solution, and are also supposed to be relatively pH nuetral/inert. So if you just grabbed random rocks that you found, I feel like you may run into some unforseen issues. One of the biggest ones I can think of off the top of my head aside from the nutrients just running right off, would be depending on the composition of the rocks, it may leach nutrients from your feed, or put unwanted minerals/chemicals into your feed/reservoir. Personally, I wouldn’t risk it, but it might be a fun experiment.

Brad104
      Participant

I did a little more research and it’s saying that pea gravel and gravel are 2 of the first medium that they used.Although it did say to wash it and soak it but otherwise you should be fine and people used to use aquarium rocks I was thinking they did and it’s true the smaller the gravel the better it holds the root system ok.I hope this is information people can and will use, you can bet I am going to try it

Nate
        Participant

That’s cool to hear, didn’t know people used to use aquarium gravel, although that makes sense. You should post a grow journal and let us know how it goes.

Keith
      Participant

River rocks are very similar, I bet you could use them.

Cannabliss
      Participant

I have seen people using hydroton pebbles/round clay rocks, rock wool, and straight perlite in net pots.

Hempy buckets with nothing but perlite as well. You water into the PVC.

Brad104
        Participant

Replying to @keith I am going to try and use like a 57 stone it’s about a 1/2 inch stone it’s used a lot on roads and driveways.You just have to wash them and soak them before use to make sure it’s pH neutral.I don’t believe there’s going to be a problem, when I get it up and running I will post a grow journal to show everyone.Thanks for your help on everything @keith

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for your input @cannabliss I have not seen anyone using only perlite but it makes sense.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close