Forums

Home Forums Q&A Rosin Color

3 voices
11 replies
  • Author
      NoWorryLeaf
      Participant

Can anyone tell me why rosin color differ? Which color is good?

Atom
      Participant

Lighter colors normally mean its better but not always. Some darker stuff might have been furter along into bloom. It could mean that the resin heads were damaged or highly degraded. I would certainly give darker rosin a sniff to see if it has terps or smells wierd. Ive had some really good darker amber rosin, and also some tan creamy rosin that was most definitely made from mildew crop you could taste it.

If your getting it from BM it can always be shifty if you dont directly know the prosser. Whenever i buy from a shop i always like to search the brands if i don’t know them, and sometimes ill look up the exact strain.

Somatek
        Participant

I’d agree that a lighter colour is more marketable and usually more flavourful, personally I find the early harvest to get those colours compromise the quality as the cannabinoids are less developed and rounded out.  I usually prefer a nice amber colour over the tan/ghost rosin for the effects which I find more balanced and longer lasting instead of the quick rush that fades equally quickly.

The big thing is avoiding dark or greenish tinted rosin as it’s most likely old material that’s been over pressed for extra yield.

Atom
      Participant

I’d like to use this as an example of good dark rosin. All these are from the same strain, but from different sized micron bags. The lighter stuff is from 73-120 micron, and the darker is from 25 and 45. There’s all good, but the lighter taste better because it has more terps. The dark taste good just not as, but it leaves room for more strength. The darker also makes for a more shatter like consistency and the light is runny and harder to work with. Hope this helps ya bro 🤘

Somatek
        Participant

The age of bud definitely affects the consistency as terps are great solvents.  Were these pressed at the same temp?  Any other variables between them?  I find temp has the biggest effect on consistency with higher temps usually yielding the more shatter like rosin

Atom
        Participant

Yep all at 185. All in 37, was risky pushing 25 mic is 37 bag, and I did see a little run out of a seam, but not much more than a few dabs. I was extra careful with it and it worked out. Wasn’t as good of yeild @ 4.2 out of 7g

Somatek
        Participant

That’s where a 45mic bubble bag is handy as I find most of the good trichs are caught there with little of interest in the 25 usually, although most cheap bubble bags skip the 45 for some reason.

As a side note we’ll probably be able to see how oxidization affects the colour as I work my way through the bud I’m pressing as it was crammed into small jars (215g in two pint jars lol), really brings me back to the 90’s picking stem and seed out of highly compressed bud that’s a bit too moist lol.  With how much it was man handled picking seeds out and between 10-20 presses to process it all depending on how much I play around showing the effect of different temps/pressure on the end product; the last presses should be coming out significantly darker I’d imagine.

Atom
        Participant

I can’t imagine pressing that much bud at once lol. It took me 3 hours to pressing 40g of hash, between scraping, running to freezer, cleaning sticky off fingers. It was worth it though. I have enough for several months plus some. I been joking with my wife, I don’t think I ever smoke bud again lol (I will)

Somatek
        Participant

Sometimes size matters lol, the 40g I pressed last night took under and hour including snapping shots and getting distracted by music.  I forgot how much rosin you get on things while processing it, my phone screen is tacky this morning lol.

Atom
        Participant

Yes it gets on everything lol. I try to work as fast as I can and it can sometimes get put of control.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s where the line “slow is smooth and smooth is fast” is good to remember.  Having a good work flow makes a big difference and depending on your pressing times can vary widely in how to figure it out.

As long as I’m focused I can pretty easily bunch between adjust the pressure, while I pack/pre-press the next bags (I just use bar clamp to pre-press when processing volume, although I usually use bottle tech is pressing much as it’s a better work flow generally yields more. Then I toss all the parchment in the freezer until I’m done before collecting it using either my HMK rosin roller or slap and pull if it’s all been the same variety pressed in the same way.  All while keeping an eye on the time and watching how the rosin is flowing/making sure the pressure doesn’t drop as the puck compresses, it’s the kind of whirlwind of multi tasking that makes my ADHD brain happy.  Also why I eat and usually drink coffee first so I’m alert and energetic.  We’ll see how much of that bud I jam through tomorrow, there should be around 170g left to squish which could be as quick as 2 hours if I’m on point but will probably be twice as long snapping pics of different ways to press to illustrate how it affects the end product to show the art of pressing.

Atom
      Participant

I Wana post another example of good rosin that is darker. This is a sour snap rosin cartridge. Very dark but you would never know just by vaping it. It taste just as good as any other one I’ve had. Also I’d like to note that all rosin carts, atleast any that I’ve had are always a bit on the darker side. I think the decarb process to get it into liquid form for carts attributes to that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close