Home Forums Lifestyle Show Your Pets

4 voices
21 replies
  • Author
      Unholyfire
      Participant

A place to post your animal, reptile, fish or any other type of pet you keep.

Unholyfire
      Participant

Penelope

Somatek
      Participant

Fat Cat Poe (and his stuffed hamster) blessed my life for 12 years but sadly passed this summer.  I adopted him when he was 4 after he had been bounced between a half dozen homes, so there was definite separation anxiety and issues at first but he was the best pet I’ve ever had.  He joined me on both adventures living off grid up in Northern Ontario (about an hour past New Liskeard) as well as a summer on Pelee Island (the southern most point in Canada).  Far too much personality squeezed into one wee beast.

It’s always hard putting a pet down but we had one last perfect day together before he was put to sleep listening to the birds on the back deck and is buried with my last cat, Tikki Tikki Tempo No Sai Rempo Cheeky Leeky Cherry Perry Pip Pembo (Mu for short, just to screw with vets…) in a forested area at my parents which has a butternut tree growing in it, so it’s a protected area as an endangered native species is there.

Brad104
        Participant

Sorry for your loss @somatek I am one who understands that a pet dien will tare your heart out.Pets are family members in my house now and always will be.

Brad104
        Participant

Sorry for your loss @somatek I am one who understands that a pet dien will tare your heart out.Pets are family members in my house now and always will be. I hope you get another fur baby you can enjoy your time with

Somatek
        Participant

Thanks @Brad104, losing pets and grieving them is the cost of all the joy and love they bring into your life.  I’m meeting a 5 year old Shiba Inu that needs a new home as it sounds like he has aggression issues and the owners are about to have a baby, so the wife isn’t comfortable having the dog anymore.  It’s sad but we’ll see if it’s a good match and I adopt him but if not I’ll keep my eyes open for a rescue dog with aggression/reactivity issues to give a home and work with.  Puppies and kittens are cute but it’s much more satisfying helping an animal in need that otherwise would likely be put down.

Brad104
        Participant

Mrs Penelope, looks cool as a fan

Brad104
      Participant

I’d like to introduce my bestie of 9 years this month Mrs.Zoey Jane the doberman pinscher

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
      Brad104
      Participant

Let me also introduce Mrs Chewbacca my 4 yo pit bull.I love my fur babies!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
      Somatek
      Participant

Those look like happy doggos Brad, also big girls.  You must spend a pretty penny on dog food keeping them well fed and healthy.

Keith
        Participant

Dude everyone spends a pretty penny now a days.  Our dog food went up from $52 a bag to $80 in the past year.  I’m spending $160 a month to feed puppies.

Keith
      Participant

I’ve got 5 puppies left in trying to find homes for.  They’re pretty hard to handle.  Here’s the parents and some of them.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Keith
      Participant

Here’s some more pictures of the dad, I think he’s so handsome.  I’ve wanted a bulldog my whole life.  He’s a year and a half old.  And some more of the puppies.  If you want one message me.  I’ll drive pretty far to get them to a good home.  I’m in the southeast.

Attachments:
        Somatek
        Participant

I’d take one in a second if I was closer, the frozen north is a pretty far drive from the south east though lol.  What cute puppies, not surprising from such a handsome dad and pretty mom.  Good luck on finding them homes before the eat you out of yours

Keith
        Participant

Thank you bro.  We’ve finally vaccinated them and they’re old enough to go in the grass.  So it’s not quite as bad now that they can play outside all day,  I just set them up with food and water and let them be.  It’s rough in the morning time and at night when we get home bc you immediately have to deal with them.  Plus shit loads of stress trying to find them good homes.  I’m a worrier though.  But I think we’ve got all of them homes.  I’m driving home to Ohio to drop a few off next weekend.  We might keep one.  We really shouldn’t, it’ll just be another girl that we have to get spayed.  We thought we could keep them from breeding when ginger was in heat, but damn it only takes 5 minutes of us not paying attention and we found them in the backyard locked up.  The male is a pure bred so I didn’t want to get him fixed and females are expensive to fix but we’re just going to have to do it.  I never want to deal with puppies again.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s probably a pretty common sentiment lol, glad you’ve found them homes more or less as that must be a relief.

I’m actually going to meet a 5 year old Shiba Inu male tomorrow that needs to be rehomed as they’re having a baby and it’s have aggression/dominance issues by the sound of it.  So the wife isn’t comfortable having it in the house anymore.  I usually adopt older rescues as I find their appreciation very rewarding once you build trust and work through their issues.

Keith
        Participant

We’ve always rescued too.  I’ve never had a dog that was a pure bred until Tugboat.  He’s the dog I’ve wanted since I was a little kid.  When we bought our house last year we had saved up a bunch of money for a down payment but didn’t need it bc of the type of loan we got.  So we bought him.  I don’t feel guilty about that but I do feel guilty about bringing 7 more dogs into the world that now need homes.  There’s just so many fucking animals in the shelters it breaks my heart.  And now they’ll be in the shelters longer bc any potential rescuer is just going to get a puppy instead.  The hands down best dog I’ve ever owned was a rescue.  We lost him 2 years ago.  I still think about him when I take a shower.  He used to lay on the floor when I was in there.  But get this, about a month ago Tug came in there and laid down while I was showing.  Since then he’s been in there with me every time I shower.  Neither of them ever did it for anyone else.  Makes you feel special.  Here’s a pic of Pete the dog we lost to intestinal cancer.  He was so good with my son.  When we used to take them to the waterfall near my house he always stood between him and the edge.

Attachments:
        Somatek
        Participant

What a special boy, sorry for your loss even if it was a couple years ago.  I know the sweet pain of remembering our furry buddies after they’ve passed on and their little quirks.  That’s funny that Tugboat has taken up the same role, there really is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet and their constant desire to be with you, doing whatever you’re doing in good or bad times.

When I was living up North off grid with Po there was a funny night when we were woken up in the dead of night to someone screaming bloody murder in the field beside the cabin.  He was very worried and scared, so we stayed up for a couple hours, cuddled and read until it stopped and we fell back to sleep.  The next day the neighbour (who lived about 3km away lol) told me it was raven mating season and that’s what we heard, they really enjoyed telling me after the fact about those kinda things instead of giving me a heads up beforehand.  Which I understand, gotta have fun with the city dwellers instead of making life easy for them lol.

Keith
        Participant

Hahaha that’s funny.  I bet it’s pretty cool up there.  When I was younger it was our plan to move to Alaska and build a cabin in the woods next to some lake.  There was a guy who did it and wrote a book and also video taped himself doing everything.  It was pretty amazing.  I can’t remember what it was called.  Maybe “alone in the woods”.  I read the book first then found out about the movie.  It def set me on a course.  I ended up attempting to build a little log cabin in the woods behind my house.  With dead stuff that was already on the ground bc my dad didn’t want me cutting down trees.  I quickly realized there wasn’t going to be enough.  But we camped at the spot I started it at for the next 4 years of high school.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s ambitious for a teen, I was too busy partying or smoking/selling dope behind the Tim Hortons by the highschool lol.  I didn’t get into off grid living/homesteads until my late 20’s when my friends and I would talk about living on a farm in an intentional community of psychonaughts.  After 10 years of dreaming about it I decided to see what living the reality of it was actually like, you never appreciated the marvel of plumbing until you spend a summer directly dealing with your excrement instead of it magically being whisked away.

Now to make bring this back to the topic on hand, I just got back from meeting Sushi; an adorable 5 year old Shiba Inu with some serious reactivity issues to the point it tried to bite the owner while we all walked around the park.  The other couple who was interested in giving him a home has taken him for a week to see how they do and then I’ll take him next week to see which house is the best fit (unless of course they decided before then he’s too much, it doesn’t seem like they had much experience or awareness of reactive dogs and their specific needs).  I’m not too worried about taking him if needed, he’s definitely got some issues to work through but not nearly as much as Hero, my friends 115lbs King Sheppard who needed to be muzzled anytime he left the house or if company was over.  I should have snapped a pic as he’s an adorable black/white Shiba Inu that you can tell is a loving, playful animal when not stressed and feeling insecure.

Keith
        Participant

I always really thought Cesar Milan was right in with his approach to dogs.  I thought the guy was awesome.  That’s really great there people like you willing to do that.  I couldn’t do it.  Not with my living situation. But that dog will get another chance at happiness if he gets to the right home with the right owner.  Sounds like it’ll be you.  Lucky him.

Somatek
        Participant

I have a good lifestyle for taking care of a reactive animal since I live alone, have extra room for them to have their own space to feel safe in and don’t react when I get bitten as I realise it’s just as much my fault for not recognizing the warning signs that they show and understand it’s not personal/aggressive but just a reaction to not feeling safe.  What matters is that Sushi ends up in a good home with people that can help him through his issues. There’s lots of animals that need a home, so what matters is what’s best for him.  Whether it’s me or the other couple, all that really matters is what’s best for him.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close