Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Suggestions to Spider Farmer R&D

10 voices
25 replies
  • Author
      Loves2Trim
      Participant

My first suggestion to SpiderFarmer is about temperature and humidity probes. The probes from the exhaust fans, Light controller, and the Seed Mat all seem to be the same with exception. The Inline Fan Controller probe plugs into the controller with a 2.5 mm Headphone Style Jack. The Light Controller uses a 3.5 mm Jack that looks exactly like a Headphone Jack. Finally the Seed Mat has a probe that meets the controller as a permanent fixture.  I recently had my light controller probe go bad and SpiderFarmer’s Excellent Customer Service sent me an entirely new light Controller. If I could have just plugged the fan probe into the light controller I could have diagnosed my own quick and easy fix.

Anybody else have any good advice?

Brad104
      Participant

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice, I just wanted to say that it’s good hearing that spider farmer is keeping up to there iron clad warranty, I’ve been hearing some foul things of late on line.Its really good to hear that there customer service is on point,

Thanks Spider Farmer!!!

Ps; super happy for you too! @loves2trim

Loves2Trim
      Participant

I wish we could Pin posts to the top of the forum as well.

Anyone else with good hardware or software advice should be able to speak up and be heard from this forum. I don’t own a tent so I can’t speak for craftsmanship in that department.

Keith
      Participant

I never understood why they put a switch on there that controls the dimmer knob.  I thought the dimmer was broke at first.

Loves2Trim
      Participant

If you mean on a light fixture… The switch is used for a daisy chain. It turns off the adjustment knob and allows the fixture to be controlled by the previous fixture in the chain.

Keith
        Participant

So there is a reason.

Loves2Trim
      Participant

I am disappointed, I have a bunch of Spider Farmer brand stuff. What does everyone have?! No complaints?

Keith
      Participant

I only have that one light.

Dirk S
      Participant

It would be nice to have more possibilities to control the environment, than just with an exhaust Fan. Clip Fans from Spider Farmer would be great and some Kind of Humidy Control. Like a De- and a Humidifier.

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Absolutely. The Fan controller is already similar to the AC Infinity Fan Controller hardware.  Software differs a bit. AC Infinity has a whole line that controls the lights, exhaust, clip-ons, humidifiers and smart outlets. I doubt it would be hard to source the already Chinese manufactured hardware and have them spraypaint an orange spider on the side.

IamN2pot
      Participant

Yes, I admit I was fooled with their NEW Intelligent inline fans. Seriously, I just got one. If I hadn’t customized the charcoak filter flange before I went to hook it up, it would have gone back. If an alarm clock that turns on the radio and the light on top of it is “intelligent”, that’s what this thing can do. To call it a temp, climate or humidity controler is a serious stretch. Yes, it will tell you the temp and humidity levels and if it exceeds your set value for either, the audible alarm goes off and the fan ramps up to max. Other than that, it’s just a “fancy digital” speed controller. You push the up and down arrows to adjust the speed verses turning a knob. Woopie!!!!

Speed controller, yes! Temperature, humidy or climate “controller”???? Intelligent, not IMHO (in my humble opinion)!!!!

Come on R&D. Design a “climate controller”. One that speeds up the fan as the temp goes up and slows down the fan as the temp drops and will idol at the set temp, please!!!

Guys, I’m gonna throw a plug in here for BN-Link. I use this one, and I’ll explain why. https://www.bn-link.com/products/bn-link-digital-heating-and-cooling-professional-thermostat-controller-for-seed-germination-reptiles-and-brewing-breeding-40-176-f-15a-1875w

Inside the setting, you can set both your SV, set value (target temp) and have your ‘actual’ temp in F* 10th’s. If you have intake air that is tooo cool for running the exaust fan continuously at night this time of year like I do, well read on.

OK, I set my SV to 70.0*F. Since the original design is in C*, there is no 70.0* on the ‘actual’ temp scale. It has a 69.9* and a 70.1*, but it will never be exactly 70.0*. That’s the secret, R&D! I have my speed controlled set on 2 and plugged into the COOLING plug and a 600w space heater plugged into the HEATING side. It sits there and toggles between 69.9* and 70.1* all night long in my 55-60* garage. Warms the air – exaust the air – warms the air -exaust the air……. But don’t set it on 70.1*. It will warm to 70.1* and turn the heater off, but NOT turn the exaust fan on. Then slowly cool to 70.0*, heater turn on until the temp probe reads 70.1* and turn off again…. So 12 hours later I have a tent at 70.1* with extreemly humid and stale air in it that has not been exausted all night.

Sound like some ‘experiance’ talking there??? 😆

Hope that helps someone.   @spider-farmer

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Excellent point. I consider it only a fan controller. It could use more settings for sure. I would like to see the fan ramp up slowly at intervals rather than jump straight to level 10. Also possibly have a night mode setting to idle at 1 while in lights off. Lastly have fan on or fan off options for the high and low triggers. Some folks lung room outside of the tent could be hot or cold and allow for more options to dial in.

Thank you SF I hope we can help with your product line.

Loves2Trim
      Participant

I have another recommendation involving the Spider Farmer Light Controller.

I would enjoy having a feature that would potentially dim the lights at intervals if the temperature probe reached a certain trigger. The main cause of heat would be the lights why not make use of the temperature probe and cure the heat at the source( The Lights).

Racky
      Participant

My light doesnt give off ALOT of heat like that. The heat shrink on them keeps them pretty cool and on point. Does not get tent hotter than 75

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Loves2Trim
      Participant

I have multiple SE5,000s chained. My basement sits at a cool 65 in the winter, the 5,000s can quickly pick the temperature up to the 80s with the drivers outside the tent. Its always nice to have options to tinker with. Im always adjusting things between summer fall winter and spring.

What light do you have Racky?

IamN2pot
        Participant

Much the same here. With my tents in the garage, the temps run from 50*-60* right now. Outside we got down into the mid teens all week. Switch to summer, whew. Outside temps up to 100* regularly, but the garage doesn’t get above 80*, but that puts my tent temps up to as high as 90* when I’m in full bloom with the light at 100%, so yes, an auto dimmer would be a very nice option to have in my situation.

Oh, and on another note. I have it on good authority that SF will be coming out with an app and BT controller for their “NEW” exaust fan line. I can’t wait!!!!!  Common sense says that there lights will also have a BT chip in them to control them from the app.

Brad104
      Participant

IamN2pot
        Participant

LOL, I see you have it set to 72.0*F. There ain’t no 72.0*F on my list of temps, so you’re toggling back and forth from 71.9* to 72.1 and back and forth, right? That’s how my model works and I’m guessing that one does the exact same? I can see on the website that it is a 15a, 1875w rating, just like my model. PERFECT for space heaters that can pull up to 1500w.

Here is a ‘crude’ list I made in my garage of the numbers you do NOT want to set the SV on between 65* – 75* in tenths. Note that my SV of 70.0* and Brads SV of 72.0* is NOT on the list and so the, dare I say “real” climate controller, will toggle back and forth all night long trying to hit the set temp that isn’t available to the probe (PV). As long as you intake air is cooler than you want, it works great to hold the temp AND regularly exaust air.

Here is my, LOL, pie chart of temps the probe will read and you do NOT want to set it on. It’s not pretty, but all the numbers are there between 65 and 75.  Hahaha, guess I should have cropped that down, oh well… 😎

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by IamN2pot.
      Loves2Trim
      Participant

Brad! I have one on the way should be here Thursday. It will be a game changer for my winter set up with night time temps getting into the 60*s.

IamN2pot
        Participant

L2T, I didn’t realize that hitting the ‘reply’ to Brads post would insert it between your post. Sorry about that. Still learning how to post on this forum. Anyway, you’ll love the climate controller.My current garage temp is 58.1* and the tent is a toasty 70.1*. Keep us posted. I’m thinking you’re gonna love it!

Loves2Trim
        Participant

Excellent call on the Reply button, I didnt know about it! Im stoked about the controller, and eager to tinker with it. The points you made about heating the tent as well as exhausting humid air during lights out is just absolute gold. Ive never given humidity a thought. I always focused on my Hygrometers Temperature history from the previous night.

EDIT: Most importantly….You still have a pizza hut??!?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Loves2Trim.
      IamN2pot
      Participant

@Brad104 and @Loves2Trim and anyone else getting one of these temp controllers. The ‘magic’ lies in a hidden setting. It is the very last setting in your owners manual, under Advanced Settings. The ST setting is what you want to set before setting anything else. When you enter the ST mode, it will reset ALL other setting to default, so do this FIRST! BN-Link does not bother to mention how to access that ST setting. Shame on BN-Link! To access it, you have to press the set button and the CF/ST button at the same time. That will take you to the ST setting where you can change it from 10 to 01. Then you will also want to set your Hd and Cd values to 0 (zero). Make sure your CF  setting is on F, set your SV for something that the PV can not hit, like 70.0, and get to playing with it. That should allow you to hold your set temp while the controller tried to hit a SV that doesn’t exist on the PV. back and forth and back and forth………heater, exaust, heater, exaust……  equals a steady temp with ventilation!

Here is that manual, for your refference, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0018/2521/0421/files/BNQ-T10Wifi.pdf?v=95648123402206472

Laura Jones
      Participant

Actually, this Spider Farmer R&D is very reliable thing. I have used it so I appreciate it. And I have also used this Ovo Packers Green Hoodie which is also quite work wear.

tedmarx38
      Participant

I have the spider farmer sf7000 light but I suspect this applies to all LED lights. I understand that plants need a different spectrum of light (eg blue vs red) for seedlings, vegetation and flowering stages. This light has a dimmer knob and the instructions say to go toward the highest setting for flowering

What they don’t tell you, though, is whether jacking up the intensity makes the colors for flowering more prominent than those for vegetation, or if it simply raises the intensity for all the colors uniformly.

I would think the lower settings should favor colors for vegetation and higher setting would favor flowering-oriented colors.

Seems like a simple q but I can’t find the answer. Thanks.

Spider Farmer
        Keymaster

Hello friend,

At present, the spectrum of our light is a full spectrum, so when adjusting the dimmer knob, the intensity of the entire light is changed.

Hope this is helpful.

Brody Carson
      Participant

How about putting out a statement? An eye-catcher is the Drake Polar Opposites Red Leather Jacket. It’s the kind of item that subtly enhances your whole appearance and gives you a movie star appearance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close