Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Temp for Flowers

last updated by Racky 1 year, 4 months ago
6 voices
24 replies
  • Author
      Racky
      Participant

What is the best temp for flowering plants?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Hoppiefrog
      Participant

81 f for LEDs is best , but higher temps have a use in transition ( higher nutrient inputs (ie “p”) and running lights closer can be handy to reduce the stretch 😉

Racky
      Participant

Thank you for the info. Im gonna slow down on raising the light. Well now I almost have to im almost to my max height for light leaving 12, inches to top colas

Attachments:
        IamN2pot
        Participant

Hey Racky, you do know that the temp out there in the corner of your tent, where you have your temp probe tied to the pole, is several degrees cooler than it is where those 2 tops are. With the light on at 100%, the temp under the center is seriously hotter. I’ve never never actually measured the temp, but it is seriously hotter in the center. Try hanging your temp probe off the side of the lamp, right in the center and see how much warmer it is on the edge of the light, much less in the center.

…let me get my probe right under my SF2000 and see how much hotter it gets. Pictures to come.

IamN2pot
        Participant

Well shut my mouth, that didn’t do what I thought it would. I got 82* on both my measurements (no need to take 2 pictures). I had to dim to the 80% to get the temp down to 82* at 12″ in the corner, but was gob smacked to see it didn’t go up in the center of the lamp. Go figure????????

Brad104
      Participant

I think 💬 that the probe is not registering right most of them say plus or minus 5 I think.Im saying exactly what #iamin2pot is saying I believe, because it’s got to be hotter in the center would you not think!.

IamN2pot
        Participant

All common sense says it has to be hotter. If I remember my hs science class, “light is heat”. More light = more heat! When I’m in my tent working with the light on, the top of my bald head tells me it’s hotter under the light than it is to the sides, out from being directly under the heat source. So I wanted to see just how much hotter it is in the center of the light. So I set-up that test. After 30 minutes, the probe temp was still reading 82*???? WIERD!

What’s a guy to do? The probe says one thing and my skin says something else. Anyone else want to repeat the experiment?  I’ll repeat it today, we’ll see.

N2

Racky
      Participant

My bald head gets same way when im in working on the girls!!

Loves2Trim
      Participant

Im not bald yet but I can say this must be an absorption and color thing.

Wearing a black shirt vs white shirt in the sun type deal.

Many things can factor I suppose, even air circulation. I remember using my pyrex glass containers to cook my leftover steak on a sunny day on my dash. On a 90 degree day on my black dashboard, I managed to get a steak to a whopping 145degrees in time for 12 o clock break.

The probe being metal could potentially reflect heat. The air could be one temperature and the plant itself could be another temp. Any one have a cheap heat gun laser thingy? Maybe check the actual temp of the plant vs the air? We need somebody who knows how to toss around vocabulary words like radiant heat and convection lol wheres @Somatek lol

To answer your question all my efforts are to keep my tent under 80 Fahrenheit.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Loves2Trim.
      Racky
      Participant

I have another question,  is it ok if i have branches using side of tent to grow up towards light? I know its kinda like using a support system. Im just wondering if im gonna have issues if some n

Atom
        Participant

You can potentially get mildew if they touch the sides of tent. If you have lots of air movement you’ll probably be ok. I’d check the areas touching just after light comes on to see if there’s any moisture pooling up on leaf or walls.

Racky
      Participant

Thank You Guys Gonna move my probe once these girls finish up

Attachments:
      Brad104
      Participant

I would think 💬 that you are ok @racky but hopefully one of the guys who’s grown in a tent, can answer your question,I think that your fine,but I’ve always grown inside a large basement, and this will be my first tent grow.Maybe one of the better growers in the group who’s grown in tents like @n2 or @atom or @cannabliss is definitely some of the ones that I ask for help,since I pissed off @soma but anyway one of the guys that I mentioned there will definitely know @racky so hopefully they can help sort you out. Best wishes to you and yours bro and have a great holiday season and most of all be safe bro!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brad104.
      Racky
      Participant

Thank you guys i will check to see if moisture is building up on the ones using the walls as support. Im guessing i will have to cut a couple down hopefully not too many cuz i know like three of them are looking amazing but i dont wanna run into issues this late in the game. Starting flowering almost three weeks ago. Defoliated ALOT!! When do you guys get rid of your fan leaves and do you guys get rid of all of them or just some? I usually take 1/2  of fan leaves when flowers are going good when i grow outdoors

Attachments:
        IamN2pot
        Participant

A good rule of thumb for defoliating is never take more than 1/3 of the foliage at a time. That said, are you gonna seriously hurt the plant if you take 50%? No!

As for buds against the tent walls, I completely agree with @Atom. Have you got a hygrometer in the tent? As long as your humidity levels stay in the 50% or lover range, you shouldn’t have any problems. I use all 4 corners and sides of my tent(s) as props for heavy buds. I also recently discovered a new way to hold them in place. Look at the pictures attached. Just green wire and 3 bamboo stakes. Make a loop around each bud stem, and around the stakes for support. Works for me…. 💡

I took the first 2 pictures this morning, it’s harvest day 2 of 4 for this round. Note the 3 bamboo stakes I use to form my framework for the green wire loop-t-loop. I took the movie of one of the 2 still standing. I hope the pictures/video explain how I wire mine up.

Well, that didn’t work to well for the video. Take 2…….

I can’t figure out how to embed this video. Looks like you have to download it.

Attachments:
        Brad104
        Participant

N2 Thank you for the video of how you tie your gals up to the bamboo poll.I like that bro.

Racky
      Participant

I downloaded it and thank you for the awesome voice. Yes I do have a hygrometer probe inside tent and controller. Yeah i try and keep it right around 50 ecspecially at night and 55 during day typically. I defoliated Alot today

Attachments:
        IamN2pot
        Participant

Those girls are looking A+!  ….and I see lots of trichromes in that first picture.

Nice foliage clean-up, very nice!

Racky
      Participant

Thank You Bro!! I am trying my best!!

Attachments:
      IamN2pot
      Participant

Yes, it’s a winter vege garden. Last few days I’ve been tracking temps in my little tent to see if I could figure out why I got a reading under the light that was the same as at the corner of the tent. I still don’t know why, but I do have some more numbers to share that seem much more reasonable. I have 4 thermometers in the tent that read the same when side by side. 3 little digital and the SpiderFarmer probe. See the picture. The probe and one digital are hung on the sides of the lamp in the middle and the other 2 are on top of the pots, one under the center of the lamp and the 2nd under the right outside edge of the lamp. The probe and habging thermometer are about 2″ above the pots. Inlet air is 74*. Temps are as follows: probe – 81*  hanging digital – 81*  center digital – 86* edge digital – 85*

All figured out, right? Until I watered this morning. LOL, I never knew dry soil radiated so much heat back. After watering and the topsoil was wet, the temps dropped to weird numbers. probe – 76*  hanging digital – 78*  Center digital – 76* and the edge digital – 77*. I give up?????? 🙁

You can see the probe and the hanging digital. The center digital is on the center 2 pots and the edge digital is between the 2 pots on the right of the picture. W E I R D  #’s  !!!!

Racky
      Participant

looking great bud  Keep up the good work and cant wait to see them grown up

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Racky.
      Attachments:
      Racky
      Participant

How many days do you all wait in between defoliating? I took a bunch of fan leaves off. Usually do it every 4 to 5 days at like week 3 and 4 of flower.

Attachments:
        IamN2pot
        Participant

I’m thinking I defoliate about 4-5 times during a grow cycle. I do it the first time when the leaves grow over the edge of the #1 pots. It pisses me off when I go to pour a cup of water into the pot and it runs off onto the tent floor because of leaves being in the way. Then again when I transplant them into there final home, about 6-8 weeks in. Then it’s just a sort of as needed thing. I always try to do the last one good one about 2-3 weeks before harvest to get as much light down to the smaller buds as I can.

….and those look fine. I don’t think I’d touch them again for another 3+ weeks, but that’s just me..

Hope that helps,   N2

Racky
      Participant

74*F is the average temp with lights on and off.

Attachments:
      Racky
      Participant

55% Humidity lights on and 50% when lights off.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close