Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation The better looking plant does not smoke the best

3 voices
31 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

I’ve had people tell me this and I believe them, but in my heart I never really thought it to be true.

All throughout flower the og kush looked dank af.  Frosty, stinky, nice large tight colas.  And the amnesia lemon was not as much of any of those.  Now they’re both getting me fried, but the AL is kicking my ass.  I can’t even smoke it before work bc I’m still buzzing after the 45 minute drive in.  That’s unheard of.  Here’s some of the best pics of each.  The first 2 will be the og and the second 2 the AL.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Somatek
      Participant

Lol and now you know why pictures online are kinda irrelevant as it’s about as logical as judging someones personality of just a picture of them.  You have no idea what the substance is like based off superficial info; there’s a lot of fox tailed bud with no visible trichs I’d always smoke over OG Kush/GSC/Dosido/Gelato/Wedding Cake/etc.  Prohibition inherently creates an market with limited understanding as people rarely get to experience things for themselves until the laws recede, the market expands and consumers can educate themselves.

Keith
      Participant

Well said.  In fact I’m going to use that example of a person’s picture someday to explain this same thing to others, lol.  Hope you don’t mind.  I’ve got this Bruce banner auto I’m about to chop any day now.  It stinks like crazy and I was super excited about it but now realizing I can’t count on it being awesome just bc it smells awesome.  It’s pretty fucking good looking too though.  I’m still pretty damn excited.  Anything would pretty much excite me that finishes on time though.

Somatek
      Participant

You don’t know till you smoke it, seeds are fun to explore but clones create consistency.  I had a long reply written out but the forum firewall blocked it for no apparent reason, so short version it is lol

Brad104
      Participant

Just because it looks the best and eats the best doesn’t mean it’s the best.I wonder a lot in our big grow room how some plants will drink every day and others will only drink a little every time and look behind the whole ride,but around the last 10 days to a week and they’re kin to John always and Tom Brady they’re come back kids it just amazes me for real

Somatek
      Participant

The longer version of the last reply talked about how I generally grow the best couple pheno’s from a seed run for another crop or two to figure out the plants needs better before deciding which to keep instead of rushing the decision off of one grow and limited experience with the plants.  Sometimes one is clearly the best all around and just stands out but often not and the one I originally liked falls behind as another plant which is a bit more finicky ends up out shining the rest once you figure out what she wants.

Brad104
      Participant

Theese ladies are definitely a rare breed of weed for it’s so great to watch them flourish in front of you every second of every day loving it

Keith
      Participant

Hard to believe until you experience it.  I’ve always judged pot by the smell and the crystals.

Somatek
        Participant

Kind of inevitable when people look at pics online, on social media or in magazines for the old heads and read fancy-full descriptions that tantalize the brain.  Grow enough plants and you start realizing how irrelevant pics are, how easily manipulated they are even unintentionally and to not worry about appearances as much as substance.  Sadly we can’t experience that online though, until someone comes up with a virtual toke at least…

Keith
        Participant

Damn I know that’s right.  I could take a picture that made it look shitty and at the same time take one of our looking awesome.  The best pics you see of pot are professional photos.

Somatek
        Participant

The biggest thing they taught at the photography school I went to was that marketing and creating the illusion of value is the most important part of photography.  I absolutely love it but fully recognize it’s all illusion as a subtractive art based on controlling what the viewer sees and how they see it.

Keith
      Participant

You know it especially helps to remember that when choosing seeds.  To be honest up to this point I’ve always just chosen my seeds based off what other’s photos looked like.  I had a mental list of the consistently best looking plants I’ve seen and got some of those seeds. Not saying it was a terrible idea, I think I’ve gotten some great seeds, but it’s not just about the pics anymore.  I do really wanna grow some super extremely frosty buds though, at least once.

Somatek
        Participant

I read peoples grow reports endlessly as there’s some growers I’ve learned to trust over the years on different forums.  You have to be careful as “breeders” making accounts to hype their own gear is a thing.  Lol actually recently someone accused me on RIU of being a fake account for MMS, which was pretty funny as I have a pretty blunt opinion about him.  In the end it’s always somewhat of a gamble and expensive seeds aren’t always the best seeds, I can think of a bunch of gear in the sub $100 range I’d recommend.

Keith
        Participant

Is MMS Marshall Mathers?

Somatek
        Participant

Mass Medical Seeds, a relatively new breeder who’s flagship variety is Star Pupil which he’s made endless crosses of.

Brad104
      Participant

I’m thinking just stick with the leading genetics you know and do like I do just keep cloning a good lineup and keep them forever!

Keith
        Participant

I’ve got so many different seeds to try it’ll prob be years before I ever clone.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s a very common problem as there’s so many exciting sounding varieties that most people end up collecting seeds without considering they’re a living thing and will slowly die/lose viability if not grown or stored properly.

Brad104
      Participant

It’s not hard to do, actually I really enjoy fooling with a full clone machine.I get to foliar spray them regularly and then admire them and try to figure out which one is going to be the one you know what I am saying!

Keith
        Participant

No I thought you just kept them all.  Why do you only keep one?

Brad104
      Participant

I keep cutting clones always before they are two weeks under bud,cause if you wait until later it takes a while before they bust out of their bud.

Somatek
        Participant

I have no clue what you’re describing, it sounds like you’re saying you put your different clones under flowering and then drop any that aren’t budding after 2 weeks but I really don’t know, care to elaborate?

Brad104
      Participant

Yes I just keep taking new cuttings every time the new ones goes under bud I was trying to explain once the bud gets to be a bud it’s harder for them to bust out.I don’t know what you would call what we do but we will take the machine full and then take a slab of 46 inch and a half cubes I like to take them really the first week the crop go under bud then time they root and then solo cups then 1 gallon then 3-5 Gallon vege another week switch to under bud then once those cuttings are in the biding phase first week preference then we will take everything all over again so most of the time we cut a crop within a week or two we are going under bud again it’s just a cycle that we have gotten into.I hope you can better understand it now @somatek

Somatek
        Participant

You cut clones when flipping them into flower?  Any reason you don’t take them earlier while the plants are still in veg?

Brad104
      Participant

Yeah cause as I’ve stated earlier I am working with my ex father in-law at the moment and he thinks he knows it all and sticks the plants under bud too early every time and they really need the week or 10 days of stretching to not hurt the little yield we already pull.I mean it’s hard for me to complain I live for free and get a good amount of smoke,it is what it is.

Somatek
        Participant

Sounds like an inefficient way to grow, hopefully you win the light, can set up your own area and show him a better way to grow.

Keith
        Participant

Wait so you clone them then wait 10 days then flip?

Brad104
      Participant

No bro @keith I clone them 10 days after I flip em for generally they’re about 35 inches tall when he flips maybe 7 nodes with a cola or something like that I’d say.

Keith
        Participant

Oh shit, I was thinking my god I need to start cloning, that shits fast. Lol.  I get it though.

Keith
        Participant

Having someone to grow with would be cool though.  I mean if you guys were on the same page I guess.

Brad104
      Participant

I was trying to explain it is hard to explain shit to my father in law he’s 71 and you know it’s like pulling teeth trying to change their minds bro I am trying to get my closet booming and it’s all me that is why the hard court press from me from day 1 bro I need it while I am sure you do too homes I’m not mad at anyone we can all put as much time on here as we can and there it is if I can help anyone of us out believe I’m one that will bro I’m super excited to be here from jump it’s awesome 💯 and a great opportunity for us all bro

Good luck to all Only 9 days 7 hours left ,so let’s put that work in !

Brad104
        Participant

Ok bro I definitely didn’t try and throw you off bro 🤣😅

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close