Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Transplanting tutorial

last updated by Keith 1 year, 6 months ago
6 voices
26 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

Not sure if anyone has done one and I just transplanted so I figured I’d post it.

These are endgame and runtz from ethos.  The Runtz was a freebie not sure if it’s from ethos though.

They were started in solo cups and I used this same process when I went up to 1 gallon.

Keith
      Participant

First thing I did was fill up the bottom 1/3 of the new 5 gallon pot.  Then place the plant with the container inside the pot.  Make sure the dirt level of the plant is where you want it, if not add/remove dirt from the bottom of the new pot.  If you have an empty pot is easier to use.  I use my finger tips like I’m showing someone the number 4 and just lightly pack the dirt around the pot. You want it form enough to hold the hole but you don’t want it packed it.  Watering it out already going to pack everything down.  You prob notice you beginning soil level isn’t an inch higher than a month later.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Keith.
      Keith
      Participant

Next I dust the hole with myco.  I’m using great white.

Keith
      Participant

Next I squeeze the sides of the plant to learn it up and push up from the bottom with my other hand on the rim of the pot. It should slide out pretty easy.  It’s easier if you watered the day or 2 before.   

Atom
        Participant

Do you rough up the roots at all? How long they been in them one gallon pots? Roots look very healthy brotha nice work.

Keith
        Participant

I did rough them up some.  I used to do it with shrubs when I landscaped.  I’d throw the shrub on the ground and stab it a bunch of times with my shovel.  My pot plant however I gently held with my right hand while I more of less massaged lose any roots I could trying not to break a single one.  I didn’t have them in there long, but I had them in solo cups too long.  So by the time they got to 1 gallon they filled it out pretty quickly.  Thanks about the roots, these have been my best ones yet.

Atom
        Participant

I always rough mine up pretty good, especiallythe bottom. My train of thought is you want root tips to point outward after being in a circle. Again looking great though. Nice thick,white roots looking real healthy

Keith
      Participant

Then plop it in the hole.  I try to accommodate for which way I will bend it down when I do lst.  I planted this one closer to the back so that I can bend it forward and still have it somewhat center.

Keith
      Participant

After that I like to water them in pretty well.  I try to get just the tiniest bit of run off.  I just want the soil to be completely saturated.  I water very slowly.  This is their new temporary home until the drying finishes up. 

Keith
      Participant

And here’s my shout out to spider farmer. 

Somatek
      Participant

Nice tutorial of a great way to transplant to minimize any stress by the roots dying out.  I’m pretty lazy and have bad habits from growing masses of plants in a SoG so I usually just fill the bottom 1/3 of the new pot, pop the plant into my hand and dust with myco if I’m using them (I forget half the time), place the plant rotated 45 degrees (I use square pots, so placing rotated to the old orientation makes it easier to fill) and then dump soil on top to fill to the desired point, shake to settle the soil and water.  Making a pre-made hole in most soil reduces the roots exposure to air so really is the better way.

Keith
        Participant

It’s still like a ritual to me.  I take more care and time than is really needed in the process.  I love doing it.

Somatek
        Participant

That’s really a more enjoyable way to garden in the end, not being focused on the peripherals but enjoying the process by being fully present when gardening.

Keith
        Participant

Well I hope to have so much going on someday that sacrificing the enjoyment of it that won’t be too bad of a hit.  A lot of the info you’re supplying us all with is stuff I’m filing away for someday when I’m growing more than 2 plants.  Like large scale, for a living.  It’s pretty fucking intimidating thinking that I have to learn so much still.  Everything just seems different when you’re growing on a large scale.  If I had $30,000 riding on a harvest I’d be examining it down to the tiniest detail trying to prevent a crop loss to mold or bugs or whatever.  I really appreciate all the help and info you’re giving.  I really want to win a light, but you kinda deserve to win one, with all the help and info you’ve given.

Somatek
        Participant

I can’t recommend “the Handbook on Cannabis Production in Controlled Environments” strongly enough then, it’s a truly wonderful book mostly aimed at production at scale written by professional plant scientists.

Nate
      Participant

Great tutorial dude. I would add that it’s slightly different if you’re transplanting in coco as opposed to soil. From what I understand, in coco you need to pre fertilize your coco (after buffering), and then fertilize the plants as well. This is supposed to help keep the medium from falling apart as you take it out of the pot, as well as reduce transplant shock due to a different EC from the pot you’re transplanting from.

Keith
        Participant

I have a buddy that swears by coco, but I don’t know much about it and what I do know seems like it would be too much attention for me.  Doesn’t it have to be watered like 3 times a day?

Nate
        Participant

Yeah, it can be a lot of work watering multiple times a day. My last run I was watering 3 times a day as well as working a full time job. That’s why I’m so stoked to see if the Autopots go well. To utilize coco fully, you need to fertigate 3 or more times a day, so some kind of auto watering system is pretty much necessary.

Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for the thread @keith you did a great job transplanting there buddy!

Keith
        Participant

Thanks bro.  Every time has gotten better and better.  As far as the roots go.  I really hope this big plant isn’t a male.

Atom
      Participant

Nice work man. Wonderful addition to the group! 🤘

Brad104
        Participant

I want to try out the new voodoo tabs from advanced nutrients it’s all three of there root enhancers put together in a tablet and each tablet makes 100 gall but it’s supposed to be unbelievabley good for the roots man js

Keith
        Participant

I have not heard of it, but I’ll def be checking them out.  I was going to try different nutrients when my ff ran out, but the only one that ran out was the big bloom.  The other 5 bottles are over 70% full.  I’m prob go through 3 bottles of grow big before I’m out of the rest.  My plan is to do no till living soil. I’ve got a compost pile that’s been going all summer that I keep adding stuff too. When these nutrients run out I’m hoping not to have to get any more.  I’ll need some amendments for the soil though.

Spider Farmer
      Keymaster

Nice work, friend! 100 points on the way. 💡

Keith
        Participant

Thanks!

Brad104
      Participant

How are those runtz plants doing now, I want to get some of them so bad I’ve heard nothing but good things about them they’re of high THC content and I know that they are big on the west coast.

Keith
      Participant

They’re actually doing really awesome I don’t have any pictures at the moment but I will get one

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close