Home Forums Lifestyle TV show recommendations

last updated by Keith 1 year, 6 months ago
6 voices
63 replies
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>I hope this is alright, bc I love a section too just shoot the shit with people.  On the weekend I love to wake up and smoke and talk about random shit with strangers online.  I’m going to go with my TV recommendations.  I’m watching House of the dragon rn, but I recently finished The Sandman on Netflix and I fucking loved it.  I usually get an hour or 2 of TV watching at the end of my day and I’m always looking for new things to watch.</p>

Keith
      Participant

Also I’ve been into “period pieces” lately.  That’s what my wife calls them.  But I watched Versailles on Netflix and it was pretty damn good.  Hbo in my opinion is the best streaming provider though.  I’ve just been on Netflix lately.  Amazon Prime is stepping up their game too

Keith
      Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Sorry last one.  I smashed the Tudors last month when I caught Covid and was on the couch all fucking week.  Thank God I had a shit load of pot to smoke during that time.  But it was a good show.  Again I’m really into that rn though.</p>

Brad104
      Participant

I’m watching house of dragons as well and I have maybe 2 more shows of the sandman and I will have finished it.I will tell you a great show that you will love and it’s the borgias there’s a Netflix version and a showtime version.Ive watched both and they’re both excellent accounts of the Borgia pope in 1500 the Catholic Church then we’re straight gangsters.Good show to binge watch Weeds is also way better than I thought it would be.

Keith
      Participant

Bro stfu,I literally started that show last night.  Hbo wasn’t working in my bedroom so I opened Netflix and chose Borgias.  That’s hilarious.

Brad104
      Participant

Everyone of you guys need to smoke a big fat ass joint and watch Big Mouth and Human Resources! Funny as hell 🤣😅🤣😂😂😂😅🤣😂😅🤣😅

Somatek
        Participant

Both great shows

Keith
      Participant

I’m kind of hesitant about the new cartoon adults shows that come out

Nate
        Participant

I’m the same way dude. But I really liked big mouth as well as inside job. I mean, worst case you don’t like it and you turn it off. But, to each their own.

Keith
        Participant

I will try it then, that’s a good point.   Plus now that’s 2 people.

Somatek
        Participant

Big Mouth is overtly crass and a lot of people aren’t comfortable with a kid about teens and sexuality but I think it’s great as far as nomalizing a healthy, open, shame free sex positive mentality.  Plus funny as hell when you get right down to it.  It’s one of those shows that I’ve loved every season more then the last.

Brad104
      Participant

Narcos and Narcos Mexico are both great,also better call Saul.Justified,Sons of Anarchy and the Mayans.Weeds.

Brad104
        Participant

We get the New season @somatek on the 28th My wife and I are on edge waiting.We are dying to find out what crazy antics Andrew,Jay and Maurice are going to be into this season.I think 💬 Nick Kroll is an exceptional comic dude at this point in time.

Somatek
        Participant

It’s one of the shows that has me thinking about going back to netflix but I dropped them as I didn’t like some of the company politics.

Keith
      Participant

Man I ran through sons of anarchy fast a few years ago.  I loved that show.  I’m a few episodes into Borgias and I’m loving it.  I’m partial to period pieces though, lol.

Keith
      Participant

Has anyone seen full metal alchemist brotherhood?

Cannabliss
        Participant

Not yet.
        I’m about to watch Locke & Key for the second time. Anyone love that one besides me? It’s pretty trippy.

Keith
        Participant

I started it but didn’t get too far.  Maybe I’ll have to give it another try.

Brad104
        Participant

The borgias are great dude I like both the showtime version was the first one then the Netflix series one came out it’s bad ass as well both are excellent and just a bit of different scenes the Netflix one is a little more information but the showtime one is great both are must sees @ Keith which one are you watching,also dude if you like period pictures like I do you will also enjoy Rome and last but not least check out Marco Polo on Netflix it’s about gangus Kahn keeping Marco Polo it’s cool you just have to watch it my dude

Keith
        Participant

I’ve watched Marco Polo and Rome both twice.  I loved them both.  Rome prob more. The 2nd season of mp I didn’t think was as good as the first.  I’m watching Borgias on Netflix, but it’s opening credits show it being a showtime show.  I didn’t know about there being 2 of them.

Somatek
        Participant

It’s a good show, classic anime series.  Although having just binged Edgerunner that is truly great anime and absolutely captures the essence of the cyberpunk genre.

Keith
        Participant

I’m going to check it out specifically bc you recommended it.  But I have a feeling you’ve got a pretty abstract taste in most everything, lol.  That’s part of the reason why I want to check it out.  Are you into amine?  I’ve watched a few but full metal alchemist brotherhood blew me away.  I fucking love that story.  In fact my son is almost old enough to partly appreciate it.  Maybe just the fighting and alchemy at his age, but I’m prepping him.  I always cry a little at the end when they’re all cheering Edward on.  I just never thought an amine could be so good.  After that I started watching them.  Can’t remember all the ones I’ve seen but there have been some very cool ones.  And some not so good ones too.

Somatek
        Participant

I very much like abstract entertainment that makes you think.  When a movie makes me equally uncomfortable by the topic and emotional due to the content while keeping me guessing about what will happen I fall in love.

Yeah, I’ve been into anime since I was a teen and my friend introduced me to Neon Genesis Evangelion during an all weekend marathon watching the entire thing.  It’s really a head trip, anything with giant fighting robots has my enthusiastic vote but combined with the existentialism at the end it’s just on another level.  If you liked Full Metal Alchemist I imagine you’ll enjoy it as well.

Gundam Wing is generally good, I’m personally a sucker for the old hand drawn anime and love the original series but some of the later ones are really good to.

Patlabor, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (original movies the best but there are some great spin offs as well) are all worth seeing if you haven’t already.  Then of course Studio Ghibli is incomparable: My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Monoke, How’s Moving Castle, Naussica of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Spirited Away…  Some are more juvenile/meant for kids like Ponyo but are still cute movies.  If your kid is a bit young for Full Metal Alchemist still I’d highly recommend studio Ghibli as they are wonderful movies made with true craft (most are hand animated until some of the recent ones), have great values and morals and incredible stories.  Especially Princess Monoke is exceptional as the hero’s/villains have a lot of depth and are shown as trying to do good in their limited context without realizing the harm they cause.  Very nuanced and beautiful movie with lots of action and just enough gratuitous violence to tie it all together.,

Last but not least you have to mention Heavy Metal as truly absurd but funny/interesting cartoon showing North American drug/rock and roll culture. Fritz the Cat is another classic of american cartoons, written by Robert Crumb.  Although definitely don’t watch either of those with your kid lmao.

Keith
        Participant

We love studio ghibli.  We named our cat ghibli.  My plant decorations are totoro.  My profile pic is totoro.  I’ve watched totoro with my son, at least 50 times.  Studio Ghibli is something truly special.  Princess monoke was actually one of my favorites, but I think spirited away is my fav.  Which I’ve also now seen 50 times.  I’ve tried so hard to get him to watch monoke but he always goes for one of the big 3.  Ponyo, totoro or howl’s.  That boar they fought in the beginning was cool.  I got pretty excited about this, I very rarely meet someone who also loved studio ghibli.

Somatek
        Participant

Lol I don’t know why I didn’t clue in that you clearly know Studio Ghibli as I’ve commented about your totoro profile pic before.  For someone who grew up watching anime in the 90’s when a lot of it was pretty misogynistic and ultra violent it was brilliant discovering such wonderful films.  Spirited Away is my niece’s fav but I’d have to say either Monoke or Howl’s are probably mine for how nuanced the characters showing the duality we all have between good and bad.  More then anything I appreciate the strong female characters that define all their movies; such an important value to teach young children so they aren’t limited by the gender duality that limits older generations.  Your sun is a lucky boy.

I fully agree, I love how the demon’s in Monoke are forest spirits corrupted by people and fighting against the destruction of their life.  It’s such a layered movie which is what is so magical about it, truly a masterpiece.

Keith
        Participant

Believe it or not that’s why we started watching Studio Ghibli movies with him.  Before that I had only seen spirited away and howls.  I didn’t really notice it until you said it, maybe my wife did, but it is a lot of strong female characters.  Sen(chihiro) is prob my favorite character in all his movies.  I always liked soskei the little boy from ponyo and the neighbor kid from totoro.  We would always make sure to comment to my son how sweet that particular character was for doing something kind and considerate.  The one I always go back to is the little neighbor boy grudgingly giving up his umbrella to the girls and walking home in the rain.  I’m so glad to find another person who appreciates these movies.

Somatek
        Participant

Their never victims waiting to be rescued like the old disney princesses or typical anime up to the late 90’s; their active saviours helping others even if they’re just young and small.  The pleasures all mine, I love connecting with other people who share my passions.

Brad104
        Participant

Great reply @somatek hitting everyone with the classic magazine and movie 🎥 Heavy Metal 🪙

Somatek
        Participant

Have you seen the new Heavy Metal movie?  It’s not actually too bad, not as good as the original but still worth watching.

Cannabliss
      Participant

1. The Capture

2. The Resort – mystery/comedy (pretty mind fking) lol

3. American Ninja warrior

Keith
        Participant

I saw the resort, I liked it a lot.  I’ll watch anything on hbo.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I liked it a lot, however, I’m not sure my brain likes all the back & forth between past & future.. at least while I’m super stoned. I had to watch it moderately stoned lol Turned out great.

Keith
        Participant

No I also go between past and future.  Just a few months ago I watched the expanse on Amazon and it sent me on a space kick for a month.  Have you seen raised by wolves on hbo.  Prob one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long time.  Can’t believe I forgot to mention it.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I haven’t but I’m gonna check it out.

Keith
        Participant

Dude seriously, I can’t believe I forgot. B it was about 6 months ago when I watched it.  But if there was 1 show I could recommend it would be raised by wolves

Cannabliss
        Participant

I watched the first 2 episodes last night.
        “Mother” is a savage lol

Brad104
        Participant

No I haven’t, which streaming service is it on if any? I have HBO/Max,Amazon prime and Netflix hopefully it is on one of them.Is it the same music 🎵🎶 Sammy Hagar, Ronni James Dio on the old I bet the new one has new jam huh? I appreciate the banter @somatek  Thanks

Keith
      Participant

You’ll go back on forth on mother.  At times you’ll hate her but they develop her character so much.  I ended up liking father the best

M
      Participant

I watch TV series like crazy with my lovely wife. She loves ’em, I love her so …

Friends, The Wire, Vikings, GoT, SoA, Stranger Things (for my surprise).

I think The Witcher is good and I will come with more when I remember.

Enjoy!

Somatek
      Participant

Lately I’ve been working through the Handmaids tale, The Man in the High Castle and Undone on prime, which are all great shows.

Brad104
        Participant

The Witcher is very good @m can’t believe I forget that one

Brad104
        Participant

The handmaid’s tale is a great show too I enjoy it my wife loves it as well.

Somatek
        Participant

Yeah, it’s an interesting expansion of the original story.  Which made me very uncomfortable when I read in 15-20 years ago, exactly like a good story should by forcing you to confront the reality of other’s experience.

Somatek
        Participant

Very solid, even never having played the games I highly enjoyed it.

Brad104
      Participant

The new dune @ Keith and @somatek  I believe you guys are around my age and remember the first one, I am waiting to see the second one.Also Amazon prime really amped up there game with the Lord of the rings and the rings of power! Also peaky blinders and the Tudors are excellent shows.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Brad104.
        Somatek
        Participant

Dune was such a cult classic, I can’t wait for the new one.  Another great suggest @Brad104.

I’m excited to see where the 2nd season of rings of power goes, I was kinda surprised it was only 8 episodes for the first but they definitely started some interesting story lines.

Keith
      Participant

Anyone watched the rings of power yet?

Somatek
        Participant

I enjoyed it, good story but the writing was a bit predictable I found although it stayed true to the tolkien world so I enjoyed it over all.

Keith
        Participant

I haven’t watched it yet.  I’m savoring it.  I’m watching house of the dragon right now.

Brad104
        Participant

I knew you would be into the new dune, for we both seen the old one.I am ready for the 2 nd instalment to watch those akadians get what they deserve from the sand people,I loved seeing them worm riders and Thumper’s.

Just an exceptional remake of an old classic to some of us older heads, I just hope someone who’s never saw this film in the 80s are able to enjoy it the same as the older generation (us) did when we first experienced this film

Thanks for your response @somatek

Keith
        Participant

I love dune.  I stared listening to the audio books and got to book 3 or 4 but kinda drifted away.  It’s crazy how much time passed in the books.  He went from a kid in the first book to an adult in the second.  I wonder how they’ll do it in the movie.  I’m sure they’ll use the same actor.  The timeline is more or less irrelevant, it doesn’t really matter how many years actually passed in the book, I guess.

Somatek
        Participant

I’ve got a copy of the books around but never actually got around to reading them all, too easily distracted.

Brad104
      Participant

It’s awesome dude binge it this weekend it’s already over until the next season but it’s bad ass dude

Brad104
      Participant

It’s awesome dude binge it this weekend it’s already over until the next season but it’s bad ass dude it’s as good if not better than the first lord of the rings and the hobbit I enjoyed the hell out of it @keith I believe you will as well for we like a lot of the same shows it seems like

You gotta start the rings of power

Keith
      Participant

Band of brothers was absolutely amazing.  There’s also another mini series done about the pacific theater done by the same people.

Somatek
        Participant

Band of Brothers was exceptional, I had completely forgotten about that one.

Which reminds me of Due South, super campy Canadian show from the 90’s about a Mountie from the Artic being reassigned to Chicago where he meets a gritty detective and hilarity ensues with the ultra polite/by the book Canadian and the loose and easy/play it off the cuff American.  Anyone remember it, I saw it the other day on CBC Gem and have been enjoying rewatching it, it didn’t clue in back then how good the music was; like using Bush X (aka Bush to all the Americans) in some of their episodes.

Keith
      Participant

I might be able to find that

Somatek
        Participant

It’s actually something you may enjoy watching with your son, drives home the value of being polite to people.  Plus the Mountie has a deaf “wolf” as a companion for added laughs/cuteness

Keith
      Participant

Anyone ever see the show adventure time on hbo?  I watch it with my son but it’s fucking hilarious.

Somatek
        Participant

Adventure Time is great, have you watched “Happy Tree Friends”?  Not child appropriate but hilarious when stoned.  Drawn Together is another good adult cartoon from awhile ago.

Keith
        Participant

You’d be surprised at what I find kid appropriate, lol.  My wife was.  I’m joking.  I only like to expose him to violence through video games.

Somatek
        Participant

The healthy kind of violence lol

Keith
      Participant

Also the expanse on Amazon has like 5 or 6 seasons and it was a pretty good show

Keith
      Participant

I had forgotten about a show on Netflix called The Magicians. I really really enjoyed it there were some episodes that were really touching.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close