Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation What varieties do you like to squish/wash?

2 voices
6 replies
  • Author
      Somatek
      Participant

With a million threads about “best variety”, “best breeder”, etc why not one more?

Although since there’s a big difference in how different varieties yield when washed for bubble or squished for rosin this is a topic I personally look for actively instead of just passively answering when I’ve got time to kill.  Once there’s objective variables to be measured and compared I get a lot more interesting over purely subjective conversations about people’s personal preferences.  So what have people grown which yielded well when extracted or produced exceptional quality?

Barbara Bud is usually good for washing as they grow big and yield well with an open structure that seems to produce well.  Although my old mom only produced moderate yields when squished with really runny rosin.

Stellar Collision is what I mostly press as it budders up instantly and yields around 20% returns, which isn’t bad.  I’m dipping my toes into the kush genepool looking for something that’s pushing 25-30% though like the old Purple Kush (aka Purple Afghan) from BC.

MK Ultra is something I might explore for that as a friend had a cut that just gushed when squished.

Atom
      Participant

Man i wish i could get yeilds that high. Its mostly my machine I think, but i get like 10% yeilds from buds. Hash i get from 50-80%. The biggest problem is the plates are crap, and no pressure Guage. Its basically a nut you turn to adjust pressure. I think they claim you can get 1000lb of pressure but i doubt that.

Somatek
        Participant

How big are the plates?  I get up to around 5-6 tons of pressure at max to hit 1000-1500 PSI on the 3×5 bag but I’m guessing your plates are smaller.  I’ve used the screw style rosin plates with a wheel you turn to jack the pressure up, also the little nugsmasher with a bottle jack before getting mine; neither had a pressure gauge but at least the nugsmasher would get enough pressure to give decent yields.

On the plus side you don’t have to worry about over pressing nearly as much I suppose, there’s definitely a learning curve anytime I’m pressing new bud/hash to find out how much to crank it up, for how long to get good yields without compromising the quality.

Any varieties stand out for producing a good texture right off the bat without the need for additional curing to make it easier to dab?

Atom
        Participant

There just 2×3. I’ll get some pics later today I plan on squishing some. I use the press club 37 mic 2×9, put 4 grams or so in then fold and cut the bag. Then I’ll save scraps for BS hash for edibles or tests.

If I do use flower, it’s always 2 gram. I break it up and put it in one of those hand screw press deals. Makes a neat puck and press that. The yeilds sucks so i only do it in emergency situations. Or if I’m real flush in buds and bored lol

Somatek
        Participant

If you have time I’d love to see pics of your process.  It’ll be awhile before I harvest anything as I didn’t grow outdoors this year, although I imagine I’ll have people asking me to process their outdoors soon enough like most years in which case I’ll snap some pics to share.

Atom
        Participant

Yeah I too have some people who might want some washes. I’m so impressed with this FF I’m seriously considering running a portion of my indoor runs. I buy rosin and baby the hell out of it. I bought a 2g jar of some north coast peanut butter Gelato was amazing, made it last 6 months. Basically only dabbed it when I cleaned out puffco.

Somatek
        Participant

Part of the idea behind building my own bubble machine is so I can just toss open pollinated seed crops into it to separate the trichs and seeds easily.  I don’t use a lot of concentrates but they’re always nice to have on hand for a treat now and then.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close