Home Forums Cannabis Cultivation Why do plants change color under led

3 voices
13 replies
  • Author
      Brad104
      Participant

I’m wondering why do plant leaves change colors under led and stay green under hid lights can someone please help me and others understand why that happens and is it telling us things if and when it happens

Thanks

Somatek
      Participant

What colour are your leaves turning?  They should be green under LED’s generally…

Plants will express different colours grown under different lights, it’s easy to find pics of lettuce grown under warm, cool and neutral/white light that shows blue brings out more red in the leaves.  Generally pot doesn’t have variegated leaves though and grow as a light to dark green colour.

Brad104
      Participant

Mine are green I am talking about the purple ish dark blue that they take on it must be the strain of it but you know how the leaves are much darker in color that’s what I am speaking of cause I have not seen that under theese hid lights

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

are you talking sulfur/calcium toxicity dark? or like anthocyanin dark(purple)? leaf tanned because of UV?

these were from under a quantum board style light with supplemental UV and added calmag its entire life.  You can see the leaf on the right was partially under other leaves, and they’re both tanned away from pure green, the stems were in shade so only partly went purple tinged.

or are we talking more clearly anthocyanin based pigmentation like this?

note the fully purple leaves mixed with purple petioles and green leaves. pic is of a Blackberry Platinum OG I think.  ask @Somatek for a pic of something with purple flower but green leaf, I forget which of his posts I saw that in.

Somatek
        Participant

I assume you means this pic of Violeta which turns a deep purple.

Stellar Collision is a good example of a more temperature dependent anthocyanin expression as it turns a solid purple with cool nights.

In warmer temps, grown indoors it only gets light purple/pink shades but noticeably more trichs and stronger terps.  Which brings me full circle to my first reply and wanting to experiment with strong blue lights to see if it express more colour like other plants, which I assume it would as higher anthocyanin would be more effective at using blue light.

Brad104
        Participant

Your plants is exactly what I was speaking of, I didn’t quite know how to explain it,but you nailed it @neuroticturtle I am most appreciated for the information ℹ️. For I didn’t have any idea,why they do that.But I have seen it in a lot of other people journal’s and pictures .I thank you again

Somatek
        Participant

The plant shot is just anthocyanin’s becoming visible as the plant dies back, happens under HID as often as LED depending how they’re grown.  The pic of the leaves is spectrum dependent and due to the lighting.  The way you worded your reply is confusing but hopefully it’s straight in your head.

Brad104
        Participant

Yes it is now, I apologize for my wording sometimes.I finally got the information I was wondering about, and I thank you @somatek and I thank you @neauroticturtle

Somatek
        Participant

No worries, I’m equally bad at understanding others which is why I often ask for clarification to make sure I understand people.  Glad you found the answer you needed though.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

This layout and the way people can add replies at the top gets fun too.

This is from the Journal of Experimental Botany in 2008

you probably wouldn’t need anything like crazy blues to hit the AnC family on the head, near 550nm spectral peak with a bandwith of approx 70-80 nanometers.

Absorptance plots of spring green (1) and red (2) A. platanoides (A) and C. avellana (B) leaves with pigment content shown in Table 1. Spectrum 3 is the model of chloroplast thylakoid pigment absorption in anthocyanic leaves as screened by anthocyanins (see Discussion).

table 1:

not sure if brad’s with us, or if I was the one being confusing.

but yeah,

TL;DR:shit was stressed tf out, started producing a secondary shade pigment that lessens the pressure on the chloroplasts

ps:  if you’re going such high blues that you skip the phytochrome or AnC responses entirely, it might make for a markedly different cannabinoid profile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyll_b#/media/File:Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg

Somatek
        Participant

It’s too late here in the east to be dropping this kinda science on me lol, my brain was just starting to wind down and now it’s trying to kick back into full gear.  I’ll dig into this properly tomorrow if I have time before my hike, just wanted to take a sec to again say how grateful I am for your contributions @Neurotic Turtle.

NeuroticTurtle
        Participant

Its pretty late here too, I just hope it comes across kinda clear, I think I switched between replying to you and to brad.

Somatek
        Participant

I’m pretty sure I’m picking up what you’re laying down and if not I’ll be sure to ask questions until I figure it out.  Tomorrow though, last toke and then bed for this little duck.

Brad104
      Participant

I appreciate the knowledge @neuroticturtle I truly have very little knowledge on LED grow lights I don’t know how to explain to you , how much I appreciate you taking your time to explain this this way to me for I’m truly seeking as much information as I can get on the subject before I have to buy a light, although I am praying that I win this great se5000 but that’s another ball game

Thanks again for everything,you are most appreciated!

@neuroticturtle

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close