Home Forums Grow Journal A new journal of my old Skunk #1 grow with a SF4000

6 voices
21 replies
  • Author
      IamN2pot
      Participant

First for the THANK YOU, to Spider Farmer for producing the original SF4000 and subsuquent lights. To Sam the Skunkman for producing this timeless classic some 40 odd years ago and Todd over at  AGseedCo for sharing these genetics with me, …and now with you!  I am vegging (pun intended, 🙄 ) in a 4x4x6.5 Spider Farmer tent with my original model SF2000. Bloom is in a 4x4x8 tall tent with my SF4000. </span>

Skunk #1 at 1 week old and at the bottom right in the photo. The white cover you will see over all my pots is old carbon pre-filter cut to fit as a physical barrier to Fungus gnats. Works wonderfully and keeps my grows organic and gnat free. The photo shows 4 of the 6 Skunk #1 seeds I germinated. They are under my SF2000 in the SF tent with our fresh winter kales and tomatos. The photo was taken on Feb 9/22.

SF 4x4 tent SF2000 Veg tent

The next picture I have of this grow was taken on Mar 15th and is only of the 3 males. Sorry, this was never ment to be a show-n-grow, but I’m happy to share the pictures I have. I got 3 males and 3 females from the 6 seedlings. The boys are ready to explode with pollen and had been under 12/12. The girls had been removed to the tall tent at this point. The first pollen sack opened the next day. (…and we were still enjoying that kale 😉 )

Sk#1 ready to pop

This next picture is from March 21 and shows 3 Wedding Cake female clones on the left, 2 Sk#1 males in the middle and 3 Sk #1 females on the right. (lucky boys) That ole SF4000 may not have the PPFD map the new model(s) have, but it works pretty good for making buds, ….and babies. ➡

in full bloom

Only a few days later, March 22, I took this picture of my 2 boys in front of the tall tent. They looked like boys just showing off, so I took a picture… and collected and Sk #1 pollen I later gave away.

pollen producers

A week later, Mar 29th and the boys had done their work and had been removed. The girls were forming young buds and I thought I would only have a few seeds. HAHAHAHA! I seem to have ignored the fact that pollen had been pulled into my carbon pre-filter, only to be dispersed every time my heater turned on and the exaust fan turned off. It was winter and my setup has a set temp controler that allows my space heater and exaust fan to toggle back and forth so that only one or the other is on at a time. Works GREAT, unless you have pollen in the pre-filter that is back flushed out of that pre-filter, so to speak, every time the exaust turned off and negitive pressure was released. Lesson learned! Many, many seeds made. 😛

sk#1 buds forming 

Tent cleaning day on the 30th and a picture in the tent on the 31st. WC on the left and Sk #1 on the right.

Why didn’t I change out that pre-filter?, ’cause sometimes I’m a knuckle head, just ask my wife!!! 🙄

tent cleaning growing gals

April 4th and I have seeds ripening.

seeds forming

Well, the next pictures I have of that grow are from Apr 12th. You can see from the picture why I have a ‘tall’ tent beside my Spider Farmer tent. The SK#1 is on the right. Both Sk #1 and the WC are starting to form buds and trichromes. The 2nd picture is of a Sk #1 bud.

why a tall tent sk#1 buds forming

April 18, a picture of the ‘green’ Sk #1. Along the way, I took clones of each of the 3 pheno’s. To keep them seperate I used colored cloths pins to clip onto each pot. Look closely at the pots in the photo above. Green was the tallest and earliest finishing pheno.

green pheno

The next pictures I have of this grow are from May 4th. At this point in the grow, green was only 4 days from harvest. In the second picture you can see the color differance between the purpling WC and the lime green and yellowing Sk #1 sun leaves. This grow was put into bloom on 3/15 and the Sk #1 harvested between 5/8 and 5/13, while the WC took until 5/15 to 5/25. The WC was from clones, so why different harvest date? I like to harvest at different stages of ripeness. “Variety is the spice of life”  😆  Oh yes, the light green and yellowing of the Sk #1 is a trait of that cultivar, just like the purpling of the WC. It is not light burn from the SF4000 or a nute deficiency. You can clearly see the lime green leaves of the Sk #1 on the right of the secong photo of Wedding Cake.

green at harvest WC and Sk#1

May 8th. Harvest day, hoorah!

harvest1 green harvest

Sk#1 trichromes

and just because it WAS grown under the same SF4000, photos of the WC at harvest. Photos are from May 22nd and 23rd.

WC harvest WC bud

…and because I decided to do this journal, I took some pictures of the finished Sk #1 colas and seeds in a 9″ pie plate.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the journal as much as I enjoyed the grow! …and am still enjoying the harvest!!!

THANK YOU SPIDER FARMER!!!!!!!

Sk#1 colas

Sk#1 trichromes

YUMMY!!!!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by IamN2pot.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by IamN2pot.
      Brad104
      Participant

Thanks for the share of this classic, delicious and one of my favorites skunk weed! I was telling everyone the other day, I can’t remember smoking a bad skunk joint. This strain in my opinion will always be a timeless classic in my book bro!

Very nice journal and grow, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Keith
      Participant

That was a great journal.  I’ve not ever seen someone produce seeds so it was informative and interesting.  Thanks for posting it.

Somatek
      Participant

Always a pleasure to see the classics like Skunk #1 grown, even more so seeing so pollen chucking and seed being made.  Thanks for sharing.

Atom
      Participant

Skunk was the first real weed I ever had, its something I’ll never forget. Before that was brown frown.

Pretty nice grows, first breeder I think we have in this group. I’ll be back to pick your brain some about that no doubt. Have you done fems by chance?

IamN2pot
        Participant

Atom, to answer your question about “Have you done fems by chance?”

LOL, read my post in this forum thread on ‘nanners’, https://forum.spider-farmer.com/forums/topic/identifying-nanners-on-your-buds/

So the answer is yes, but ONLY by chance. 😉  I’ve never done any STS treatment or had any ‘serious’ nanner problems, knock on wood! I did have a male hermie on me. I pictured it in the nanner thread.

I got real disapointed in trying to make femmed seeds when I learned (was told?) they aren’t genetically identical to the mother plant, just female. I had always thought that having only 1 parent was in essence like a clone, but I guess that’s wrong. I’m told it gets into some recessive genes becoming dominant and vise versa. Heck, I can mix up the gene pool without have to deal with STS, chem mask, it’s own tent, throw away all but the pollen and then all you got for all that trouble is to save yourself half of the seed you plant. It’s all good! femmed or regs, it’s just a personal preference that I prefer the old fashion way, chuckin ‘male’ pollen and thin out the boys from those seedlings.

Atom
        Participant

I only asked because I’m curious about doing it. I don’t have the luxury of using a male because this is the only known plant of this strain. If I want to keep it I either have to clone it for ever and hope nothing goes wrong or make some fems and store them properly so I never lose it. Plus I want to try to breed a bit with the pollen from the strain.

Somatek
        Participant

Guess you missed my post awhile ago about my Guatamalan x Honduras test grow lol.  Pollen chucking is a great way to learn more about the genetics, if the site ever lets me post without triggering the firewall we can dig into fem seeds and how to make them.

Cannabliss
      Participant

Ahh Oldie but a goodie. Nice thread. I have been attempting to make fems myself. However I have just encountered failure #2.
      I ran 2 cuts, sprayed one & not the other.. No seeds in the end, but I did pluck some nanners & stored them in a vial + mylar baggie, and tossed them in the back of the freezer.
      I smushed a few nanners on my cement shoes clone. Hope she takes.

Somatek
        Participant

Not all nanner’s will produce viable pollen, they also need time to mature before releasing any which is harder to tell with nanners vs proper male flowers where they dangle down as the flowers bloom.  Keep trying and you’ll get there, just make sure you never smoke a plant which has been treated with STS/CS/GA3 as they aren’t safe to consume.

Cannabliss
        Participant

I will post a pic of the tops I danced on in a bit (The cement shoes).

I let the plant that got sprayed dry separately, and everything. Won’t be smoking that at all.

Letting it dry though, and will see what else we got. A couple of seeds would be nice.

I found 4 white seeds on the outdoor version of her. They passed the squeeze test.. They will hit some water soon for shits & giggles.

No nanners, but I did find a male prior to flower in the greenhouse. Removed it stat.

Cannabliss
        Participant

Here they are. 
        Cement shoes hit with pollen from ice cream sundae

Somatek
        Participant

Looks like there could be a successful pollination there, how did you time the flowering on your plants or did you flip them both at once?

Cannabliss
        Participant

I took 2 cuts from my outdoor before they flowered.  They flowered for almost 9 weeks. Finished pretty quick, and I let them keep going hoping there was some seeds to mature. I didn’t even bother smoking the nug I grew next to the sprayed clone. They were so tiny. 1 nug on a stick x2 lol

The cup has only been flowering for a few weeks. I just tossed an old mother in there to pollinate once they were ready. I hit a nug on the banana kush as well, but it’s not looking so promising.

Somatek
        Participant

So you just hit the one girl with CS/STS and the pollinated whatever girls where in flower around it?  I didn’t quite understand that explanation.

Brad104
      Participant

I would like to have some of the skunk#1  🦨 strain as in this journal for as I’ve said previously and @atom also has fond memories of the strain.Its definitely a strain that I have always and always will enjoy, and as one of the greats sang that sent me on this trip! (What a long strange trip it’s been)

IamN2pot
      Participant

Folks, didn’t you notice the packet of seeds next to the colas in the pie plate picture? 500+ seeds in that packet. If you’re serious about pollen or seeds, drop me a private message. Let’s just say I made more SK #1 seeds than I planned or will ever plant. 😉 Remember what I said about the exaust pre-filter and how NOT replacing it when I removed the boys, …and it just kept giving, LOL. I wanted a few dozen, I got a couple thousand. 😯

Somatek
        Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Lol I saw them but didn’t think about it as seeing that volume of seed as a pollen chucker is normalized.</p>
        That’s great to hear you share freely though as seeds should be.  Like you found out it’s easy to produce more then you ever need.  Personally I move my males to a separate area before the flowers open, collect the pollen and then selectively pollinate the females with all fans off, leave them for an hour or so and then spray the room down with water to kill any stray pollen that hasn’t pollinated a female flower before turning the fans back on.  Except when I forget, the blue pill bottle is NL#5 x Hashplant that were mostly accidental as I forgot to spray the room down and ended up with thousands of seed lol.

IamN2pot
        Participant

@Somatek, that looks a bit like my collection. WAY more seeds than I will ever sprout!

Keep seeding!!!!

Somatek
        Participant

These are just the extras to give away, I keep my seed collection in the fridge with desiccant at all times and only take them out when I need to grab something out of it.

IamN2pot
      Participant

One of the forums members reminded me, I never included the solution I used for the constant release of pollen from the exaust pre-filter. I didn’t change the filter untill after the grow, but I did stop seed production by misting the pre-filter. Moisture and pollen do NOT mix. Simply wetting the prefilter with a misting bottle did the trick. Keep that tip tucked behind your ear for future use when chuckin pollin, or cleaning up afterwards.

N2

Brad104
        Participant

This has been a very informative post my friend, I definitely will keep that tucked away in the old noggin.I would loveto grow some oef the skunk 🦨.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close